Author Topic: General Movie News  (Read 302066 times)

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4231
Re: General Movie News
« Reply #3120 on: April 09, 2019, 06:56:06 AM »
First trailer is out!
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4Z5VUf5x2RY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4Z5VUf5x2RY</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2976
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3121 on: April 09, 2019, 09:23:53 AM »
That is looking very promising.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 430
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #3122 on: April 09, 2019, 12:39:35 PM »
Addams family is one of the few... the VERY few IP's from the 60's that can be revived over and over again(irony?).

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2550
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3123 on: April 09, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »
FINE

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5534
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3124 on: April 11, 2019, 01:44:50 PM »
Man, Hellboy is getting trashed so far. 12% on Rotten Tomatoes (84 reviews).

Online The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4231
« Reply #3125 on: April 11, 2019, 01:59:53 PM »
Seems to have the compression issue that a lot of the recent live action anime adaptations have.  Been seeing the sentiment that it should've been a series or miniseries.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2550
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3126 on: April 11, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
I want to like this, but... nothing about it has looked good.
FINE

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4897
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3127 on: April 12, 2019, 06:40:45 AM »
David Harbour, though a step down from Perlman, seems... not bad.  Hellboy's make up?  Not bad.  But that's all I got.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3128 on: April 12, 2019, 06:05:16 PM »
Hellboy's make up?  Not bad.  But that's all I got.
I like the Hellboy makeup except for the face. There's just something too...clay sculpted about it.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3129 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:50 AM »

While I have my issues with aspects of the movie in the continuity of the series, I will admit that everything about it so far looks good.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 430
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
« Reply #3130 on: April 16, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
I remember the Child's Play movies originally coming out when I was still in middle school. Biggest problem was that I find it very hard to be terrified of a sentient doll. TBH I was more scared of Talking Tina.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3131 on: April 16, 2019, 11:45:05 AM »
I remember the Child's Play movies originally coming out when I was still in middle school. Biggest problem was that I find it very hard to be terrified of a sentient doll. TBH I was more scared of Talking Tina.
One thing I love about the original Child's Play is that it has it's cake and eats it too. For the first half or so you don't see the doll moving, but once you do you see it doing a lot. So even if you don't find him threatening when he's being still, you also get a lot of doll action later, and he is a vicious little bastard! It's not just a little bit, or only implied, like it is in most other movies like this.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1262
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3132 on: April 16, 2019, 05:25:36 PM »

The suuuuuuper obvious cuts from the animatronic to the actor being hilarious didn't help, I remember Curse of Chucky being good though
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3133 on: April 16, 2019, 05:33:08 PM »

The suuuuuuper obvious cuts from the animatronic to the actor being hilarious didn't help, I remember Curse of Chucky being good though
Curse of Chucky is one of my favorites in the franchise. It has fantastic old spooky house atmosphere.

Online stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 289
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3134 on: April 17, 2019, 07:16:55 AM »
One thing I love about the original Child's Play is that it has it's cake and eats it too. For the first half or so you don't see the doll moving, but once you do you see it doing a lot. So even if you don't find him threatening when he's being still, you also get a lot of doll action later, and he is a vicious little bastard! It's not just a little bit, or only implied, like it is in most other movies like this.

I watched all the Chucky movies about 10 years ago (because little kid me was too frightened by the trailers). I was impressed with the first one's quality. I really like how the first half has this "is the child crazy or is the doll actually alive?" element. It's got that low budget, slow boil that really works. I found the sequels to have diminishing returns, but not enough to swear off the series. Last one I saw was Seed of Chucky.

Fun fact! The French title is "La Poupee De Sang" which, while hilarious to read, actually means "Blood Doll".
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 07:20:55 AM by stansimpson »