Author Topic: General Movie News  (Read 363666 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6297
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: General Movie News
« Reply #3525 on: May 05, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
https://trouble.city/articles/2020/5/1/brolin-and-dinklage-are-brothers

Josh Brolin and Peter Dinklage ... have signed on to star in Brothers, a new film to be written and directed by Macon Blair

sources say the project is in the same vein as the Schwarzenegger/DeVito film Twins

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7194
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #3526 on: May 05, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
how close will that be to tiptoes?
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 4973

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3528 on: May 11, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
If there's an upside to the pandemic, it's that a lot of niche animated projects seem to be finding their way out of development hell.

Offline Russoguru

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 892
  • Define lunch or be disintegrated!
« Reply #3529 on: May 11, 2020, 07:24:44 PM »
If there's an upside to the pandemic, it's that a lot of niche animated projects seem to be finding their way out of development hell.
I hope we see that animated Transformers movie within a year or two. A Transformers movie with actual TALENT and care for the whole story and legacy behind it will be very, very refreshing. Like I said before though, Bumblebee was a VAST improvement over all the Bayformers entries.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3748
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3530 on: May 20, 2020, 11:57:04 AM »
Well it looks like the mythical "Snyder Cut" of Justice League is going to be released on HBO MAX.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zack-snyder-release-the-snyder-cut-justice-league-hbo-max-1234611928/

I'm curious, but not $15 a month curious. I might just wait for all of the new Looney Tunes stuff to come out, subscribe, watch, cancel.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2432
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #3531 on: May 20, 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
Well it looks like the mythical "Snyder Cut" of Justice League is going to be released on HBO MAX.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/zack-snyder-release-the-snyder-cut-justice-league-hbo-max-1234611928/

I'm curious, but not $15 a month curious. I might just wait for all of the new Looney Tunes stuff to come out, subscribe, watch, cancel.

I'm mostly curious to see how the rabid fanbase will react to a movie that cannot possibly live up to their expectations after they've begged for it for so long. My experience to date tells me that they'll turn against it instantly and declare it the worst thing in existence though it'll probably be no worse than any other DC movie, but they might have dug themselves in so deep in defending a movie that they didn't expect to actually see that they'll declare it the greatest achievement in cinema to spare themselves embarrassment.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 4973
« Reply #3532 on: May 20, 2020, 01:24:21 PM »
Will Henry Cavill's mustache be present?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3533 on: May 20, 2020, 03:51:49 PM »

I'm mostly curious to see how the rabid fanbase will react to a movie that cannot possibly live up to their expectations after they've begged for it for so long. My experience to date tells me that they'll turn against it instantly and declare it the worst thing in existence though it'll probably be no worse than any other DC movie, but they might have dug themselves in so deep in defending a movie that they didn't expect to actually see that they'll declare it the greatest achievement in cinema to spare themselves embarrassment.
Oh they are definitely going to praise it. This will be an "Emporer has no clothes" situation. This is a fanbase that just wants to support DC movies over Marvel, regardless of quality.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1442
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3534 on: May 20, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »

Haven't people suffered enough?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline stethacantus

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #3535 on: June 07, 2020, 03:51:09 PM »
LAUREL & HARDY BLU-RAY RELEASE ANNOUNCED  
with PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FILMS MAKING THEIR HOME VIDEO DEBUTS!!

Actually, this is probably old news, but the first time Amazon has been offering the presale in my suggestion list, so the first I had actually learned of this was just hours ago. But this is due to be released on June 16th:

Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations

Here is what Amazon says is in the set:

New 2K and 4K digital restorations from original 35mm nitrate, Laurel and Hardy's classic comedies are here in the best quality since their first release! Two features and 17 shorts, including the legendary pie-fight silent film The Battle of the Century, making its video debut and nearly complete for the first time in over 90 years!
Restorations by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat in conjunction with the UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Library of Congress. Using careful photochemical and digital techniques, these classic films are restored to pristine condition. In these stunning new transfers, they look and sound as beautiful as they did when they were first released.

FEATURE FILMS:
Sons of the Desert
Way Out West

CLASSIC SHORT FILMS:
Berth Marks
The Battle of the Century (with new music track by Donald Sosin and virtually complete and restored)
Brats
Busy Bodies
The Chimp
Come Clean
County Hospital
Helpmates
Hog Wild
Me and My Pal
Midnight Patrol
The Music Box
One Good Turn
Scram!
Their First Mistake
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two

SPECIAL FEATURES:
L&H off-camera pix from Hardy's collection
That's That (restored/first time on video)
Tree in a Test Tube (restored from 16mm Kodachrome)
Ships Reporter Oliver Hardy Interview (restored)
Alternate Soundtracks
Huge collection of rare photos, stills, posters, scripts and studio files
Commentaries by Randy Skretvedt and Richard W. Bann
Never before seen video interviews as well as audio interviews with L&H co-workers
Restored Trailers and more!
English Subtitles/li> 

The nearly complete version of Battle of the Century is released on home video for the first time. The previous release was just the opening prize fight sequence and the abridged edited pie fight sequence with some stills as an attempt to fill in what was cut from the original print. Recently a complete version of the second reel was rediscovered with the complete pie fight as well as the events leading up to it. Still missing is the second half of reel one where an insurance salesman sells Hardy a policy on Laurel

the other film making a debut is That's That, made of outtakes and bloopers from the L&H films which was in the possession of Stan Laurel and later his family, and previously screened publicly only a handful of times at SOTD events.

The other films in the set are the debuts of restorations, including what should be Berth Marks and County Hospital without the annoying music track added in the 1940s.

So am I going to pre-order this set? No way! With the pandemic effecting video sales and Amazon frequently suspending distribution of items that are not considered  "essential", this could easily be delayed, postponed or cancelled, even if it gets substantial pre-orders. It is even quite possible the Blu-ray's can't even be pressed! A lot of the plants that press Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, and video game discs are currently shut down, which is why a lot of stuff you try to order on Amazon is listed as out of stock with the back order delayed. Not exactly OOP, but similar to it if it was a series or movie you were trying to buy which is suddenly sold out everywhere. 

Aside from that, I want someone else to buy the first batch of discs, and then read their reviews, before buying this. That way I will know if this is another scam release or bootleg of previous releases, or if there was some sort of F&%K up by the company making the set and either didn't include everything promised, or accidentally used masters from previous releases. ( Something Disney did by accident with their Disney Treasures set, accidentally using edited VHS masters of Donald Duck cartoons instead of the newly restored priints. )

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3536 on: June 08, 2020, 03:52:39 PM »
So... I guess another Evil Dead is happening?  I was just going to complain but it occurred to me there really is a myriad of ways to retell the story.  Still, I can't get myself particularly excited about it.  Was "Hole in the Gound" a good one?

https://news.avclub.com/the-hole-in-grounds-lee-cronin-was-handpicked-by-sam-1843956185

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #3537 on: June 08, 2020, 04:04:58 PM »
So... I guess another Evil Dead is happening?  I was just going to complain but it occurred to me there really is a myriad of ways to retell the story.  Still, I can't get myself particularly excited about it.  Was "Hole in the Gound" a good one?

https://news.avclub.com/the-hole-in-grounds-lee-cronin-was-handpicked-by-sam-1843956185
I've never heard of Hole In The Ground, but I'll check it out based on this.

It's a shame they won't continue anything with the Ash vs Evil Dead continuity because I would LOVE more Pablo and Kelly! Although I understand why Bruce Campbell wants to retire doing the role.
 And I'm disappointed they won't make a sequel to the 2013 movie, I liked that a lot. They could do a sequel even if Alvarez wasn't directing.
What concerns me is "We just want to keep the series current." which sounds like studio execs trying to pump out a movie to keep the rights. Which doesn't make sense in this context.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #3538 on: June 08, 2020, 04:15:24 PM »
I thought the last one was pretty good too.  It balanced some pretty discomforting over-the-top violence but still made it a fun romp rather than a cringy slog.  Its a hard balancing act.  Frankly, I kind of hope the director takes the formula and does something very different with it, sort of the way the recent Suspiria was something of a counter-intuitive remake.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1442
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3539 on: June 08, 2020, 06:41:40 PM »
The last 'remake' was great imo

HAPPY BILL & TED DAY!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)