Author Topic: General Movie News  (Read 360849 times)

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2902
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
Re: General Movie News
« Reply #3465 on: March 16, 2020, 05:21:33 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-breaks-theatrical-window-will-make-movies-available-demand-immediately-1284844?fbclid=IwAR3hqMZWkIzIcDO65S7g2ZcKvhyM7upAZ8UhKiCWuoLKoK2-9cWExgaFhdw

If this succeeds, it's likely to mean the end of cinemas (although there's every chance the majority of them won't survive the shut-downs anyway)

And if that happens, it's likely to mean the end of blockbusters the way we know them too.
FINE

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 694
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #3466 on: March 16, 2020, 05:41:21 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-breaks-theatrical-window-will-make-movies-available-demand-immediately-1284844?fbclid=IwAR3hqMZWkIzIcDO65S7g2ZcKvhyM7upAZ8UhKiCWuoLKoK2-9cWExgaFhdw

If this succeeds, it's likely to mean the end of cinemas (although there's every chance the majority of them won't survive the shut-downs anyway)

And if that happens, it's likely to mean the end of blockbusters the way we know them too.
I love the big screen, but I hate the chokehold studios have over access to them, so, good?
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3467 on: March 16, 2020, 05:52:52 PM »

I love the big screen, but I hate the chokehold studios have over access to them, so, good?

Won't this result in studios having more of a chokehold though? Once they have the infrastructure set up to distribute this way, they won't need to provide them to streaming services either.
FINE

Offline Charles Castle

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 694
  • I crap bigger than this movie.
« Reply #3468 on: March 16, 2020, 06:05:56 PM »

Won't this result in studios having more of a chokehold though? Once they have the infrastructure set up to distribute this way, they won't need to provide them to streaming services either.
Ah, I see what you did there, with the whole following the situation out to it's natural end thing.

Yeah, I was just running with a hair trigger "Woo! Maybe a bunch of screens will open up for second run, or museum takeovers..." bit of mindlessness. Which reality was I supposed to be responding to again?
You know, if the space man puma thing turns out to be the correct religion, I for one will be very surprised.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3469 on: March 16, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
Honestly though, I think people would be bonkers to pay $20US for a 48 hour rental of a new release, which they can buy to own 6-8 months later for the same price and view in the same style.

You're just paying a premium to watch it sooner. I don't see the value personally.
FINE

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2913
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3470 on: March 16, 2020, 06:48:55 PM »
It's not a bad price if 2 or more people are watching, horrible if only one person is renting it.

The fear of groups of people getting together to watch must be why they set the price so high, or they are considering it a "convenience fee", like when they charge you an extra $1.50 to buy your ticket online and print it yourself...

6-8 months?  Movies usually hit streaming purchase 2.5 months after theatrical and 3 months for it to be out on disc.  The wait time is not that bad these days.  They do make you wait for streaming rental until the disc is released.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3471 on: March 16, 2020, 07:09:13 PM »
It's not a bad price if 2 or more people are watching, horrible if only one person is renting it.

The fear of groups of people getting together to watch must be why they set the price so high, or they are considering it a "convenience fee", like when they charge you an extra $1.50 to buy your ticket online and print it yourself...

6-8 months?  Movies usually hit streaming purchase 2.5 months after theatrical and 3 months for it to be out on disc.  The wait time is not that bad these days.  They do make you wait for streaming rental until the disc is released.

You're right - it makes even less sense then. (Though if they want this model to work at all, they'd have to extend that wait again, surely?)

The price IS horrible though when you consider you are only having access to it for a brief time for the same price you could own it for the sake of a couple of months. Why wouldn't you just watch a different movie and wait 3 months?
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3472 on: March 16, 2020, 07:37:33 PM »
Yeah, I pay $20 for a movie at a theater because, in part, I'm paying for the theatrical experience. I pay $20 for a Blu-ray because I can keep it. $20 to rent a movie on my relatively dinky screen when I could just wait 5 months and keep it for that price is a bit too much.

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3473 on: March 16, 2020, 07:46:17 PM »
So then next question is, if theatres go out of business, what's the future of, say, star wars and the MCU?

Maybe the biggest chains survive somehow and things go back to 'normal' (my guess is probably not)

Or - Movie studios swoop in and start owning the cinemas again (my very basic understanding is that was how it once was, but monopoly laws were introduced to stop that - look for those laws to be axed due to movie studio chums like Bob Iger etc putting on the pressure)

Or it is no longer cost effective to spend Avengers money on movies
FINE

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2913
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3474 on: March 16, 2020, 08:05:41 PM »
If the current owners of theaters go bankrupt, I'm guessing others will buy and reopen them once groups are allowed to gather again.  People will be clamoring to get out and do stuff, so if the theater owners can hold on somehow they should do well when the restrictions are lifted.

Since I got my 4K OLED TV I have a better theater experience at home, sitting 4 feet from a 55 inch screen is about the same as a middle row, and I've got 8 speakers around the room so the sound is fully immersive.  But I still would not pay higher than theater prices to watch something right away.

Hard to say if huge budget movies would still be made if box office is no longer where most of the money is made, disc and streaming sales would go way up if it was the only way to see things, but would they go up to the same level as what happens the first week of box office?

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3475 on: March 16, 2020, 09:05:39 PM »
If the current owners of theaters go bankrupt, I'm guessing others will buy and reopen them once groups are allowed to gather again.  People will be clamoring to get out and do stuff, so if the theater owners can hold on somehow they should do well when the restrictions are lifted.

Since I got my 4K OLED TV I have a better theater experience at home, sitting 4 feet from a 55 inch screen is about the same as a middle row, and I've got 8 speakers around the room so the sound is fully immersive.  But I still would not pay higher than theater prices to watch something right away.

Hard to say if huge budget movies would still be made if box office is no longer where most of the money is made, disc and streaming sales would go way up if it was the only way to see things, but would they go up to the same level as what happens the first week of box office?

Well, theatres already barely stay afloat (at least, so they say) - So the chains will only be bought up if Studios are losing significant money going direct and will actually go back to the old way. Time will tell.

It's just another really strong argument against supporting the new model.
FINE

Online Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3476 on: March 16, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
Studios might also be looking to 'play it safe' for a bit - especially those that offload their films to streaming services and release them direct. They won't be able to produce new films for a while. It really could change the face of Hollywood very dramatically.
FINE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3693
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3477 on: March 16, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »
The latest trend is the theaters that serve you food during your movie. I'm totally hooked on the concept. They make their money on restaurant-quality food, and I spend my money on restaurant-quality food instead of a tub of Popcorn. I feel like that could be the thing that movie theaters provide that you can't get at home. I think there's always going to be some market for movies as a date.

Offline George-2.0

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 373
« Reply #3478 on: March 16, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1380
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3479 on: March 16, 2020, 11:32:46 PM »
The latest trend is the theaters that serve you food during your movie. I'm totally hooked on the concept. They make their money on restaurant-quality food

This is very different from the service station/7-11 quality food they serve here  :o
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)