Author Topic: General Movie News  (Read 306869 times)

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1268
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
Re: General Movie News
« Reply #3135 on: April 17, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »
I remember the Child's Play movies originally coming out when I was still in middle school. Biggest problem was that I find it very hard to be terrified of a sentient doll. TBH I was more scared of Talking Tina.
One thing I love about the original Child's Play is that it has it's cake and eats it too. For the first half or so you don't see the doll moving, but once you do you see it doing a lot. So even if you don't find him threatening when he's being still, you also get a lot of doll action later, and he is a vicious little bastard! It's not just a little bit, or only implied, like it is in most other movies like this.

I watched all the Chucky movies about 10 years ago (because little kid me was too frightened by the trailers). I was impressed with the first one's quality. I really like how the first half has this "is the child crazy or is the doll actually alive?" element. It's got that low budget, slow boil that really works. I found the sequels to have diminishing returns, but not enough to swear off the series. Last one I saw was Seed of Chucky.

They rebooted it or at least changed the tone to dark and serious after that for Curse and Cult
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3136 on: April 18, 2019, 10:37:25 AM »
https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/292737/spoilers-we-saw-an-entire-scene-from-the-new-childs-play-and-chucky-really-doesnt-like-cats/

I won't spoil it, but they describe an in interesting scene from the new movie. Sounds a lot more Black Mirror and Isaac Asimov take than what we are used to in Child's Play.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4284
« Reply #3137 on: April 18, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/PeHNLikDiVw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/PeHNLikDiVw</a>

Online stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 315
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3138 on: April 18, 2019, 01:23:57 PM »
So.... instead of a psycho's soul stuck in a doll, we get... evil AI?

Color me disappointed.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3535
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3139 on: April 20, 2019, 05:58:34 AM »
This all surprises me because I didn't think anyone cared about Child's Play. I never saw any of them, and just wrote them off as silly.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4932
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3140 on: April 22, 2019, 04:58:28 PM »
Officially, the Song of the South and the crow scenes in Dumbo won't show up in Disney+.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #3141 on: April 22, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
How does the movie end then, because that was a big part of the original ending?

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4932
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #3142 on: April 22, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5579
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3143 on: April 22, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
How does the movie end then, because that was a big part of the original ending?
Dumbo has to go now. His planet needs him.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1268
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #3144 on: April 22, 2019, 08:17:00 PM »
So.... instead of a psycho's soul stuck in a doll, we get... evil AI?

Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2589
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3145 on: April 23, 2019, 02:13:44 AM »
Officially, the Song of the South and the crow scenes in Dumbo won't show up in Disney+.

I am not at all surprised about SotS, but has Dumbo ever been edited before? That's bizarre.
FINE

Online stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 315
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #3146 on: April 23, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »

I am not at all surprised about SotS, but has Dumbo ever been edited before? That's bizarre.

Can confirm the blu-ray is unedited. I got it right before Disney+ was going to be a thing. And I'm so glad that I did now. Funniest part is there's a retrospective on there where a guy is trying to say the crows were the most redeeming characters or some such bs. I can't remember ever rolling my eyes that hard at a special feature. It came off as defensive, shallow, and extremely ad hoc.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3039
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #3147 on: April 23, 2019, 07:23:05 AM »
Well other than some initial chop-busting when presented with the idea of a flying elephant, they are the ones who end up showing some pity for Dumbo and giving him his magic feather.

Confession: I grew up with Dumbo, and adored its "It's OK to be different" message. It wasn't until I was in my 20s and someone pointed it out to me that I even realized that the crows were supposed to be black. In my youth, they were just crows to me. I guess I just thought they were southern.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:27:36 AM by Pak-Man »

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
« Reply #3148 on: April 23, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »
Granted it doesn't help that one of the crows is literally named Jim Crow.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2589
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #3149 on: April 23, 2019, 05:31:24 PM »
I just can't really see how they'll do it unless they are recording new voices or possibly even reanimating the scene.

It wouldn't be the first time Disney had done it, I guess, but it's probably the biggest one?
FINE