Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 304607 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2730 on: January 15, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
I would also guess there's a problem with the hard drive.  Can you boot windows into safe mode?  I forget what key to press for windows 7 to get that option so you'll have to google it, but you would press that key as soon as the HP logo goes away and before the windows logo shows up.

When you boot from the windows DVD can you access the hard drive?  It might be OK but some critical boot files have been corrupted. 

Other thing it could be would be the graphics card, and on a laptop that's a killer, booting from the DVD usually only runs the card in VGA mode, it could be crashing when it tries to go to higher resolution.  But running in VGA but nothing higher is pretty rare.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 743
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2731 on: January 16, 2019, 02:54:35 PM »
Before taking the hard dive out, I suggest you boot using the DVD and then run Scandisk on the HD (go to Run and type scandisk), pick thorough. This will take awhile so go get a sandwich or something.

If that passes, then your OS is probably corrupted. Boot from the DVD again, immediately hold down F8, and pick "Repair".

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2732 on: May 02, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Just received this message on my computer..
Support for Windows 7 is nearing the end

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.
:angry:

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 743
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2733 on: May 02, 2019, 11:40:53 AM »

After 10 years, support for Windows 7 is coming to an end on January 14, 2020. We know change can be difficult, so we are here to help you with recommendations for what to do next and to answer questions about end of support.

Windows 7 was the most stable OS I've used since... actually I can't remember. XP was pretty good I guess, but I only ever used that for work. I can count on half of one hand how many times W7 crashed or locked up. With Windows 10, this happens regularly. Usually it will un-deadlock itself after 45-60 seconds. But why does it lock up in the first place? It's the exact same hardware, just with a different OS.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3894
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2734 on: May 03, 2019, 03:17:39 AM »

Windows 7 was the most stable OS I've used since... actually I can't remember. XP was pretty good I guess, but I only ever used that for work. I can count on half of one hand how many times W7 crashed or locked up. With Windows 10, this happens regularly. Usually it will un-deadlock itself after 45-60 seconds. But why does it lock up in the first place? It's the exact same hardware, just with a different OS.
I felt the same way about XP. All my other computers have 10 on them and it's OK but still not a big fan of it..
I have a new video editing computer with 10 on it I'll probably have to transfer all my files and contacts to eventually  :-\