Author Topic: THE COMPUTER THREAD  (Read 337967 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3055
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: THE COMPUTER THREAD
« Reply #2805 on: June 01, 2020, 09:11:52 AM »
huh. copying ~2TB from my old external drive to my new one is taking a long time.

Transferring between 2 USB devices is much slower than between 1 USB device and a drive in your PC.  I've usually found it's faster to copy to the PC first and then out to the new external drive.  If you have to use 2 devices simultaneously best that they are not on the same USB hub, on a desktop that usually means using one front port and one rear port, on a laptop usually right and left sides are on separate internal hubs.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7312
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #2806 on: June 01, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »
that would probably take just as long, since i've only got about 90GB (of 500) free on my laptop. it's half done now, should be finished by midnight. plus, it's something i only need to do once every five-ish years, so it's not really that big of a deal.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1777
« Reply #2807 on: July 07, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
Been playing a lot of Thrill of The Fight, a VR boxing game that tries to be as realistic as possible.  I've been working at it, slowly, and I've finally got up to 12 rounds, 3 minutes each, with 1 minute breaks in between rounds.  I get sweaty as all hell, but it's a good workout. 

Except the last two times I've played my VR headset has started to fail towards the end, and then finally displays just a grey screen.  Last time I talked to support and reinstalling the usb drivers eventually got it working.  But I've tried all the same steps this time and nothing is helping.  I'm guessing the headset is overheating... but why would that corrupt the drivers?  And why won't it recognize it any more?  I fear there's something physically wrong with the headset. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2808 on: July 08, 2020, 06:45:57 AM »
I've seen plenty of USB ports broken by people that are rough with their devices while they are connected.  Just one tug on the wire at the wrong angle can break the solder pads off of cheap PC boards.  I've also seen cables broken, so maybe try a different USB cable.

Also try a different USB port on the PC.  Those are harder to break, but not impossible.  Also Windows will sometimes see the same device on a different port as a new device and do a new driver install.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2809 on: July 08, 2020, 09:15:46 AM »
I feel like it is a physical problem with the headset.  While there have been a couple times where I have yanked the headset cable out of the link box, it has its own cable that connects to its own box, which shields the other cable that connect to the box from physical stress.  It's possible that the breakout cable itself is damaged, but there had been no stress on the cable at the time of either malfunction.  Also, the controllers, which connect wirelessly through the link box, continue to function. 

This leads me to believe it's a problem with the headset.  While it could be overheating, that problem would quickly remedy itself after being off for an hour or so.  My new theory: moisture.  Both times this happened I was soaked in sweat.  Perhaps some moisture is shorting some circuits in the headset.  This theory is bolstered by the fact that today my computer sees and reinstalls drivers for more features off the headset, where last night after the issue occurred, it didn't see anything.  Perhaps tomorrow, after it dries out further, it will actually start working again. 

Next time this happens (if I can actually get the headset working again) I plan on not trouble shooting it right away, and instead just letting it sit and dry for a few days, to test my theory.  I fear that I'm just making things more difficult by uninstalling everything.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2810 on: July 08, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
Yes, any sweat that may have made it's way in would be bad for the electronics.

What brand headset is it? 

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2811 on: July 08, 2020, 10:36:30 AM »
It's a vive pro.  I've become very fond of it as an exercise tool during quarantine.  I'm put my name on the list for a Valve Index, but it says that's a 3 to 5 week wait.  Perhaps longer.  Hopefully I can get this one working again.  I've sent in another support ticket. 

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4851
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2812 on: August 11, 2020, 04:48:04 PM »
My Samsung SSD 850 EVO looks like it is failing after my Dell Latitude laptop started to freeze up and go through a self diagnostic when rebooted and showed it had errors..
Bought it from Amazon back on May 26, 2016 so it is still under warranty. It came with a 5 year warranty after talking with Samsung (1-800-SAMSUNG)and filling out an RMA ticket via email, I should be getting it replaced for free (well, I will have to pay for shipping costs) 8)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2813 on: September 02, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
So my GPU is a little over 5 years old now.  She has been a real champ, and through sheer brute force has been able to run most games at 1440 with fairly high settings.  She's starting to show her age a bit now, unfortunately.  I have to dial back some settings, and she doesn't have all the bells and whistles of newer cards like ray tracing.  Plus she can't really handle any games at 4K, and doesn't work with freesync.  VR games are also fairly demanding if you don't want them to make you sick, and are only going to become more so. 

I've been eying new cards, and with NVIDIA about to announce their new line on Tuesday, I think it's time.  I went with one beefy card last time, and I think it served me well.  It allowed me to go 5 years without being tempted by 2 generations of NVIDIA cards.  All good things must come to an end, however.  Now I'm tempted. 

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/24/nvidia-ampere-rtx-3000-everything-we-know/

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2814 on: September 02, 2020, 09:39:44 PM »
The prices for the 3000 series cards announced today are less than what the 2000 series cards are selling for now, a 3080 is only a little more than what I paid for my 2070 super back in December.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2815 on: September 02, 2020, 10:17:30 PM »
The prices for the 3000 series cards announced today are less than what the 2000 series cards are selling for now, a 3080 is only a little more than what I paid for my 2070 super back in December.

Yeah it seems like a great deal. But... I have some cash saved up. Think I’m going to go for the 3090. Hope that will last me another 5 years.

I wonder if I’ll be able to fit it in with my current card. I put a third party cooler on it that is pretty beefy. Just about the same size as the 3090. I’d have to move my cpu radiator to vent out the top, but that might be tricky to hook up. We’ll see. It’d only be useful if I wanted to fold more proteins or run nvidia physx, but I don’t even know if that’s still a thing in games any more. Oh, and I’d probably need a new PSU. Sooooo. I’ll probably wait till I get the card, see if it could potentially fit both, and then get another psu if it can.

EDIT:  Did some research and it sounds like having a physx GPU is not worth it at all. Not used in many games any more. So the only benefit would be for folding. But it would increase power consumption and heat in my case, plus I’d need that other psu.  Yeah, probably just going to get rid of the old GPU.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 10:27:24 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2816 on: September 03, 2020, 12:37:25 AM »

Yeah it seems like a great deal. But... I have some cash saved up. Think I’m going to go for the 3090. Hope that will last me another 5 years.

I wonder if I’ll be able to fit it in with my current card. I put a third party cooler on it that is pretty beefy. Just about the same size as the 3090. I’d have to move my cpu radiator to vent out the top, but that might be tricky to hook up. We’ll see. It’d only be useful if I wanted to fold more proteins or run nvidia physx, but I don’t even know if that’s still a thing in games any more. Oh, and I’d probably need a new PSU. Sooooo. I’ll probably wait till I get the card, see if it could potentially fit both, and then get another psu if it can.

EDIT:  Did some research and it sounds like having a physx GPU is not worth it at all. Not used in many games any more. So the only benefit would be for folding. But it would increase power consumption and heat in my case, plus I’d need that other psu.  Yeah, probably just going to get rid of the old GPU.

When I was running 2 cards for folding the 1070 was interfering with good airflow to the 2070 super.  All the high end cards are 3 slots wide, so you have little room for air between 2 GPUs.  Only way to do it would be with water cooling.

Seems crazy but the talk is the 3070 is a big step up from the 2080ti, the 3090 is a massive upgrade from anything out now.

I'll wait for reviews to see if it's worth it for me to upgrade a less than one year old card, I do have enough of a power supply for the 3080.