Author Topic: WARNING! NES and SNES minis.  (Read 160 times)

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
WARNING! NES and SNES minis.
« on: March 06, 2019, 05:34:51 PM »
F#$k Nintendo!

So I got the NES mini for Christmas. Basically a miniature NES shaped box that has 30 games loaded into it. It also comes with a normal sized NES controller. So I look at all these games I never got to play and decided to play Final Fantasy as I had never played the first one before. One feature the mini has is a save feature. Whenever you rest the system it gives you the option of saving the exact point you quit the game so you can get back to it later. But since Final Fantasy already had a save feature, I decided not to use it and instead use the game's save feature ( which only happens when you pay for a night at a hotel, or buy a cabin. ) Since this is a RPG it took me two months of random fights with monsters to build my experience points up and to reach a level where I have a chance to survive the hardest dungeons. Also, the money to buy the best weapons and armor. I was in the final dungeon when some creature attacked with a spell that instantly killed everyone in my party. No problem, just shut the game off and go back to the save point. Except I accidentally hit the b button for start instead of the start button AND IT RESET ME TO THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME!  So basically, if you use the game's save feature instead of continuously saving on the mini save feature, you run the risk of resetting the game and erasing all you progress. That's two months of FF1 wasted!

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 388
  • "He's never fought me twice!"
Re: WARNING! NES and SNES minis.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »
Yeah I learned a hard lesson when I was playing Final Fantasy 3/6 last year on my SNES classic. I basically lost a TON of progress and I was seriously pissed off. It put me off so much and the save system left such a sour taste in my mouth that I cannot see myself ever playing that game again for the foreseeable future. Hell, I even went the extra mile and put the game system away in the bottom drawer of my dresser. I don't even play my NES and SNES classics anymore. I mean they're cool but they could have been so much better and had so many more games.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 237
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:08 PM »
I skipped both the NES and SNES mini. Figure I'll pick them up when they inevitably come out with portable versions (like I did with the Atari 2600 portable). But it was supposedly pretty easy to sideload more games onto them using a microSD card.

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4178
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:54:22 PM »
I thought the SNES Classic was pretty good for a Plug N Play system.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1389
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:18:23 PM »
I remember doing that on Banjao and Kazooie back in the day. Pressed the wrong button, erased my entire save. Never did end up beating it because of that. So really, if you want that authentic, old school feel, the snes classic is doing a good job.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3615
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:20:46 AM »
F#$k Nintendo!

So I got the NES mini for Christmas. Basically a miniature NES shaped box that has 30 games loaded into it. It also comes with a normal sized NES controller. So I look at all these games I never got to play and decided to play Final Fantasy as I had never played the first one before. One feature the mini has is a save feature. Whenever you rest the system it gives you the option of saving the exact point you quit the game so you can get back to it later. But since Final Fantasy already had a save feature, I decided not to use it and instead use the game's save feature ( which only happens when you pay for a night at a hotel, or buy a cabin. ) Since this is a RPG it took me two months of random fights with monsters to build my experience points up and to reach a level where I have a chance to survive the hardest dungeons. Also, the money to buy the best weapons and armor. I was in the final dungeon when some creature attacked with a spell that instantly killed everyone in my party. No problem, just shut the game off and go back to the save point. Except I accidentally hit the b button for start instead of the start button AND IT RESET ME TO THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME!  So basically, if you use the game's save feature instead of continuously saving on the mini save feature, you run the risk of resetting the game and erasing all you progress. That's two months of FF1 wasted!
I loved this game when it came out back in 1990 (?) And I discovered this issue back in the day by accident on the original NES..
I got my characters strong enough to finish the game and what did it do afterwards. . It reset the game back to square one  :grr:
The FF1 on the original PS1 will save the game so I can play the end-game as many times as I like. I got my characters up to level 50 (2 fighters, a white mage and a black mage) and they're pretty badass 8)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
You have a lot more patience than I do RVR.

Offline stethacantus

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
I probably didn't make my self clear on this one. Both minis have a "save progress" feature. Whenever you hit the RESET button, instead of going back to the game menu, it goes back to the mini menu showing all the games loaded onto the system. A small floating screen grab of the game you were just playing appears, and by holding the A button it moves to a four slot sub menu below the game. This allows you to go back to the exact moment in the game you pressed the RESET on at a later time. Since Final Fantasy already has a game saving feature that saves the game at checkpoints, I decided to use that instead and play the game without cheating. Unfortunately the first time I played it the mini automatically saved the progress on the sub menu and I never bothered to delete it. As a result, when I pressed the B button by mistake on the load screen instead of START, it put me at the mini save point and erased everything else. Which left me at the first port with everyone still at Level 2 and the same weapons and armor from the first town.

At this point I am abandoning that game. I may as well because I screwed up and a accepted the default party which left me with only one spell caster who could only learn three spells for the entire game, and a weak warrior who can't even carry swords or any armor. May as well start from the beginning with a better party. So basically the party I started with died in that cave, the orbs were never retrieved, and Earth was destroyed.  I will probably restart the game at a later date, but for now I am going to begin one of the Zelda games instead.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3615
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 03:13:34 PM »
You have a lot more patience than I do RVR.
The Game Genie helped out a lot when I played it on the original NES ;D

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »
I probably didn't make my self clear on this one. Both minis have a "save progress" feature. Whenever you hit the RESET button, instead of going back to the game menu, it goes back to the mini menu showing all the games loaded onto the system. A small floating screen grab of the game you were just playing appears, and by holding the A button it moves to a four slot sub menu below the game. This allows you to go back to the exact moment in the game you pressed the RESET on at a later time. Since Final Fantasy already has a game saving feature that saves the game at checkpoints, I decided to use that instead and play the game without cheating. Unfortunately the first time I played it the mini automatically saved the progress on the sub menu and I never bothered to delete it. As a result, when I pressed the B button by mistake on the load screen instead of START, it put me at the mini save point and erased everything else. Which left me at the first port with everyone still at Level 2 and the same weapons and armor from the first town.

At this point I am abandoning that game. I may as well because I screwed up and a accepted the default party which left me with only one spell caster who could only learn three spells for the entire game, and a weak warrior who can't even carry swords or any armor. May as well start from the beginning with a better party. So basically the party I started with died in that cave, the orbs were never retrieved, and Earth was destroyed.  I will probably restart the game at a later date, but for now I am going to begin one of the Zelda games instead.
Worry not Stethacantus I may not have explicitly referenced what you were talking about but I was already well aware of it.