login

Author Topic: The Ninja Turtles are going to be ALIENS now? *sigh*  (Read 18098 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 88
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
Re: The Ninja Turtles are going to be ALIENS now? *sigh*
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »
Even the TV show has me a little upset because I heard they're replacing Michelangelo's nunchuks and Donatello's bo with bladed weapons. I feel the blunt weapons matched them better.
Ironic, given how it's the bladed weapons that parents have complained about.

Strangely enough, in Europe, mostly the UK, it was the NUNCHUKS that caused the most controversy. They had to clumsily censor out any footage that showed Michelangelo with his nunchuks. Of course, they also thought "Ninja" was too violent a word to have in the title. "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles" just rolls off the tongue wrong.

Although a lot of parents groups complained about the first movie being too dark and violent, so in the second movie they showed them fighting with like sausages and yo-yos and wiffle bats in that fight in the mall at the beginning. As the Nostalgia Critic said "Now a whole generation of kids knows how to turn their common household toys into weapons. THANKS parents of America!"
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2379
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:09 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps he was meaning that the ooze that mutates them has an alien origin. If so, that's accurate to the original backstory.

I could go for that.

Although, Bay will probably get the other Beef to do the voice of Michaelangelo.  Ugh... this whole Bay involvement worries me.

I agree, THAT could work. Have it be of Utrom origin or something.
At this point the best way you could get me interested in a TMNT movie would be to match the tone o the original comics. This isn't likely to happen anyway as it would be PG13 at the least and if the kept the violence in tact probably R. With Micheal Bay behind it, yeah I have no hope.

I'll still probably give it a chance. I've enjoyed almost every version of turtles to date (the lone exceptions being the third movie and the next mutation live action series). If this flops, we'll just have to go home, watch the better versions on DVD, and perhaps wait for the riffs to come.

I dunno, I read the original comics a couple years ago, they didn't seem THAT violent to me. It could probably get a PG-13 rating. Of course, if they're gonna try for PG, that's a different story. The MPAA ratings system is such a joke. Well, no, jokes tend to be funny.

Are you sure you read the -original- comics.  Did the first issue end with

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:33 PM »
Michael bay will find plenty of things the screw up, but changing their origins doesn't really bother me.  It rates about with the outrage over Megtron in Transformers turning into something that wasn't one of the billion things he transformed into in past series.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2972
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:52 AM »
Hmm. Perhaps he was meaning that the ooze that mutates them has an alien origin. If so, that's accurate to the original backstory.

I could go for that.

Although, Bay will probably get the other Beef to do the voice of Michaelangelo.  Ugh... this whole Bay involvement worries me.

I agree, THAT could work. Have it be of Utrom origin or something.
At this point the best way you could get me interested in a TMNT movie would be to match the tone o the original comics. This isn't likely to happen anyway as it would be PG13 at the least and if the kept the violence in tact probably R. With Micheal Bay behind it, yeah I have no hope.

I'll still probably give it a chance. I've enjoyed almost every version of turtles to date (the lone exceptions being the third movie and the next mutation live action series). If this flops, we'll just have to go home, watch the better versions on DVD, and perhaps wait for the riffs to come.

I dunno, I read the original comics a couple years ago, they didn't seem THAT violent to me. It could probably get a PG-13 rating. Of course, if they're gonna try for PG, that's a different story. The MPAA ratings system is such a joke. Well, no, jokes tend to be funny.

Are you sure you read the -original- comics.  Did the first issue end with

Daredevil got away with a PG-13 rating and included a chest-stabbing.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:19:37 AM »
I've got a reprint of the original one lying around, but while I can't remember if there is a...
I do know...

As for origins...well, it is funny that throughout all the Turtles comics, cartoons, etc. that they've probably fought or hung out with more aliens than anything else (Utroms and Triceratons in the original, Krang in the cartoon, the Malignoids in the Archie series, etc.).  Heck, the newest comics is probably the first time I've seen them fight another mutant since Bebop and Rocksteady.  So, the idea of aliens is nothing new.  THEM being aliens is a bit of a stretch, but not the worst thing that could happen.

But no, this is Michael Bay.  Somebody's going to end up whizzing on somebody, the action is going to focus on people other than the Turtles (because as we all know, Sam Witwicky is such a deep, thoughtful, and interesting character), and at some point, Ken Jeong is going to corner the Turtles somewhere while shouting, "I'M DEEP SHRED!" while pulling a pair of nunchaku out of his pants.

And it IS funny about the bladed weapons, since because of the whole UK controversy, Michaelangelo was forced in the later cartoons to use that stupid grappling hook all the time.  Even though they were all supposed to have grappling hooks.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 07:15:47 AM »
Good night I was never even a fan and I think this is stupid!  Wow!

Still it's not the dumbest thing I have heard all year.(that would be the endings for the Mass Effect series).
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
I'm not too worried about them being aliens as much as Bay heading the movie. Although wouldn't that make it TANT, not TMNT? Why not go all the way and make them Teenage Alien Irate Ninja Turtles?

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
I'm not too worried about them being aliens as much as Bay heading the movie. Although wouldn't that make it TANT, not TMNT? Why not go all the way and make them Teenage Alien Irate Ninja Turtles?

TAINT

I like the sound of that. The tagline could be "FUCK YEAH, THAT WIDE!!!"
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 09:08:02 AM »
Michael Bay to TMNT Fans: Chill!

Michael Bay, the producer of next year's live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, has addressed the widespread negative reaction fans had upon hearing that Bay and Co. have reconceived the heroes in a half-shell as aliens.

In a posting at his Shoot For The Edit blog forum, Bay said, "Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

What say you, fans? Does Bay's statement "chill" you out?

UPDATED, MARCH 21: Now two of the actors who voiced the Turtles in the three 1990s live-action movies have gotten drawn into the fray of what we've dubbed "Turtlegate." TMZ says Robbie Rist, who voiced Michaelangelo, posted a letter to Bay that said the filmmakers was "sodomizing" the beloved franchise with his alien approach. Said Rist, "I know believing in mutated talking turtles is kinda silly to begin with but am I supposed to be led to believe there are ninjas from another planet? The rape of our childhood memories continues ... "

However, Bay has a supporter in Rist's co-star Brian Tochi, who voiced Leonardo in the '90s movies. "If Michael Bay wants to do a different take on the turtles origin story ... mazel tov!," Tochi told TMZ. Another Bay supporter is Judith Hoag, who played April O'Neil in 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Hoag, however, is a veteran of Bay films. She admitted to the site, "I was in Armageddon ... which Michael directed ... as well as Nightmare On Elm Street and I Am Number Four which he produced."

UPDATED, MARCH 22: TMNT co-creator Peter Laird has now addressed the "alien" controversy over at his blog: " I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan. It's possible that with enough truly creative brainpower applied to this idea, it might actually work. I'm not saying it's probable, or even somewhat likely ... but it IS possible."

Laird, who reminds fans he no longer has any control over the TMNT property, added sarcastically, "the reason I say it could be a 'genius' idea is that -- for the first time -- someone has come up with a way to have as many freakin' Turtles as they want. I mean, if the TMNT are actually members of an alien race, there could be a whole PLANET of them!"

:D

Oh, relax.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5530
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 09:19:55 AM »
Why is it that Michael Bay always seems to screw up such SIMPLE premises?!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
The fans really should shift their anger away from the alien thing and make sure Bay knows it's HIM they hate most of all. The man can do no good.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1262
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 09:35:22 AM »
I just pray Vanillia Ice is involved to keep the integrity of the series intact.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Invader_quirk

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »
I just pray Vanillia Ice is involved to keep the integrity of the series intact.

I know that was sarcastic, but YES.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2972
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 09:50:05 AM »
Ninja Rap 2 would make everything OK. :^)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5530
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »

I know that was sarcastic, but YES.
Only if he's an alien too.