login

Author Topic: The Ninja Turtles are going to be ALIENS now? *sigh*  (Read 19020 times)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
The Ninja Turtles are going to be ALIENS now? *sigh*
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:51 AM »
Gee, Michael Bay, I think you're gonna run out cherished staples of our childhoods to ruin if you keep up this rate.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/19/showbiz/movies/bay-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-ew/index.html

Man, I hated me some Transformers like any decent human being, but I didn't watch the cartoon or play with the toys when I was little so I didn't really take it personally. But now he's screwing with my NINJA TURTLES? I have to confess, I'm rather upset about this.

Also, I'm kidding about that joke at the beginning. Michael Bay will NEVER run out of cherished childhood staples to ruin. By the time he ruins everything MY generation loved, a new generation will be coming of age for him to piss off.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: The Ninja Turtles are going to be ALIENS now? *sigh*
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 01:44:40 AM »
Wow. It's not like TMNT has had a faithful origin (I know at least 5 Turtle origin stories). Really, all the fans would ask is that they be Teenagers, they should be Mutant, they should be Ninjas, They should be Turtles.

That's the TITLE. When Bay made Transformers, for better or worse, at least they Transformed. All that's left of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is Teenage, and Ninja. And that's assuming that Bay's turtles practice Earthly Martial Arts. At which point we're left with Teenage. Probably. Assuming Bay resists doing the, "We're aliens so we're a billion years old!" thing.

I'll give Bay a chance. I'm fair that way. I'm just saying it's a bad sign when you have AT BEST 50% of the title right.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:30:04 AM »
WHAT?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Seriously, the last TMNT movie was awesome. The CGI one. We don't need another live-action one. What the hell, world? WHY YOU HAND THE REIGNS TO MICHAEL BAY?

Guess it's time to stick my head in a hole and pay attention only to the new cartoon that's gonna have Sean Astin voicing Raph and Rob Paulsen (the original voice of Raph from the 80's, most famous for voicing Pinky of Pinky and the Brain) playing Donatello....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:41:34 AM by Raefire »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
I'll admit there are a few things that Bay can do very well, like blow stuff up. But one thing he can't do is comedy. The humor of TMNT borders on lame as it is. Just a bunch of one liners about how teenagers like pizza mixed with some slapstick. But when done right it can be endearing. I do not trust Bay with endearing. Agrivating and racist: yes.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »
But when I saw this quote from his Bayishness:

"and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely loveable,"

I immediately thought of this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yes! Complete Bayification if there ever was one. Although since Bay does adaptations, not original ideas, Poochie would be his adaptation of Scooby Doo.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:35 AM »
At this point the best way you could get me interested in a TMNT movie would be to match the tone o the original comics. This isn't likely to happen anyway as it would be PG13 at the least and if the kept the violence in tact probably R. With Micheal Bay behind it, yeah I have no hope.

I'll still probably give it a chance. I've enjoyed almost every version of turtles to date (the lone exceptions being the third movie and the next mutation live action series). If this flops, we'll just have to go home, watch the better versions on DVD, and perhaps wait for the riffs to come.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Danecho1967

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:42 AM »
I wouldn't have stood in line to see the first showing of any TMNT movie, but the "Bay Factor" insures I'll never see it, unless there is a Rifftrax.  I can't imagine how someone with Spielberg's vision would give money to a hack like Bay, over and over.  I guess it's just the return on investment that motivates him these days.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
Bay responds:

http://www.g4tv.com/attackoftheshow/blog/post/721921/michael-bay-responds-to-alien-ninja-turtles-controversy/

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

Yeah, and supposedly M. Night was "working closely" with the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
Hmm. Perhaps he was meaning that the ooze that mutates them has an alien origin. If so, that's accurate to the original backstory.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »
Hmm. Perhaps he was meaning that the ooze that mutates them has an alien origin. If so, that's accurate to the original backstory.

I could go for that.

Although, Bay will probably get the other Beef to do the voice of Michaelangelo.  Ugh... this whole Bay involvement worries me.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »

I could go for that.

Although, Bay will probably get the other Beef to do the voice of Michaelangelo.  Ugh... this whole Bay involvement worries me.

I agree, THAT could work. Have it be of Utrom origin or something.
At this point the best way you could get me interested in a TMNT movie would be to match the tone o the original comics. This isn't likely to happen anyway as it would be PG13 at the least and if the kept the violence in tact probably R. With Micheal Bay behind it, yeah I have no hope.

I'll still probably give it a chance. I've enjoyed almost every version of turtles to date (the lone exceptions being the third movie and the next mutation live action series). If this flops, we'll just have to go home, watch the better versions on DVD, and perhaps wait for the riffs to come.

I dunno, I read the original comics a couple years ago, they didn't seem THAT violent to me. It could probably get a PG-13 rating. Of course, if they're gonna try for PG, that's a different story. The MPAA ratings system is such a joke. Well, no, jokes tend to be funny.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
That said, why should ANY movie fan trust that explosion-loving, mouth-breathing hack? The only people who I can see trusting him are studio executives because his movies make a shit-ton of money for some reason that has to violate most laws of physics and human decency. But those guys have had the gene for trust bred out of them!

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:42:34 PM »
This is why I'm gonna stick with the new cartoon and hope it's not connected to the movie. Fuck Michael Bay.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:56:05 PM »
Even the TV show has me a little upset because I heard they're replacing Michelangelo's nunchuks and Donatello's bo with bladed weapons. I feel the blunt weapons matched them better. This only incites minor geek rage, though. It's not a deal-breaker, I'm still looking forward to checking out the new show.

I remember watching about 20 or so episodes of the 2003 series on youtube a few years back. I thought that one was pretty good, too. But obviously nothing is ever going to match the 1987 version, too many of my childhood memories that DON'T suck revolve around it.

If I ever go to New York, I'll have to visit the Ninja district-- even though I hear it's been totally gentrified now. Shame.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:54 PM »
Even the TV show has me a little upset because I heard they're replacing Michelangelo's nunchuks and Donatello's bo with bladed weapons. I feel the blunt weapons matched them better.
Ironic, given how it's the bladed weapons that parents have complained about.