login

Author Topic: Any Love For John Stossel?  (Read 22076 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Any Love For John Stossel?
« Reply #255 on: November 09, 2009, 01:42:58 PM »
Guys I'm confused about which side the Doctor is on.  Wasn't it just last week that he was saying John Stossel should be thrown in jail for being biased?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #256 on: November 09, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Yep, I never said Stossel is the only one who does it, just that he does it and is unrepentant.  So you agree that Stossel is a shill, but that is ok with you?
Tell me which PBS journalists and NPR journalists go out and pimp their stories to advertisers themselves?

Nina Totenberg can, because I like the name Nina.  Carl Kassel cannot, unless he changes the spelling of his name to "Karl Castle" because that would be cooler.  Ira Glass can, but Ira Flatow cannot.  Or maybe the other way around.  The point is that only one Ira is permitted to abandon journalistic integrity per station.  Terry Gross can, because she has such a hideous name that she deserves the consolation of extra money.  I was going to say that Neil Conan can't, but he threated to chop me in half with a huge axe, so I'm just going to let him do what he feels like.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #257 on: November 09, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
I think you mean Ads.  Adds are these:  +

I wouldn't expect you to understand how this crosses the line for a journalist.  A newspaper can do it or a magazine can, but it is unethical for the writer of the story to pimp out his own work to the people his "work" is helping.  There is an ethical line between the talent-side and the business-side that is being crossed.  Stossel isn't the only one who does it, but he does it.

What's unethical about seeking out people you think might be interested in your story and asking them to give your station money to help ensure that it gets on the air?

And you'll notice that Stossel does not now nor, as far as I know,  has he ever worked for PBS.  So any standards they have don't really apply to him.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #258 on: November 09, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
I think you mean Ads.  Adds are these:  +

I wouldn't expect you to understand how this crosses the line for a journalist.  A newspaper can do it or a magazine can, but it is unethical for the writer of the story to pimp out his own work to the people his "work" is helping.  There is an ethical line between the talent-side and the business-side that is being crossed.  Stossel isn't the only one who does it, but he does it.

What's unethical about seeking out people you think might be interested in your story and asking them to give your station money to help ensure that it gets on the air?

And you'll notice that Stossel does not now nor, as far as I know,  has he ever worked for PBS.  So any standards they have don't really apply to him.

Did I pass out and while I was sleeping post that Stossel worked for PBS?

I believe I was talking about journalism ethics.
On timeout

Doctor Who?

« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:02 PM »
What I meant was that other people in the media have middle men who do it for them and the middle men tell them what the sponsors will and will not let them say.  All I can see that Stossel has done is cut out the middle men.  He is doing the same thing everyone else has to do to get the money to put their stories in print or on the airwaves.

Also just look at the average PBS or NPR news report and then tell me that 95% they don't come down on the side of "All democrats are perfect and all Republican are the love children of Hitler and Satan"  Just last week a saw a report on the great depression and they out and out said that Bush was the same just like Hover and Obama is the new FDR.  How is that unbiased?

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
This is the ethical standard that I'm accusing Stossel of violating:

A. Editorial Integrity
PBS's reputation for quality reflects the public's trust in the editorial integrity of PBS content and the process by which it is produced and distributed. To maintain that trust, PBS and its member stations are responsible for shielding the creative and editorial processes from political pressure or improper influence from funders or other sources. PBS also must make every effort to ensure that the content it distributes satisfies those editorial standards designed to assure integrity.

http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/aboutpbs_standards.html

By posting that, you are insinuating that PBS's standards are the ones that Stossel should live by.  But other networks might have their own standards for editorial integrity.

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »
This is the ethical standard that I'm accusing Stossel of violating:

A. Editorial Integrity
PBS's reputation for quality reflects the public's trust in the editorial integrity of PBS content and the process by which it is produced and distributed. To maintain that trust, PBS and its member stations are responsible for shielding the creative and editorial processes from political pressure or improper influence from funders or other sources. PBS also must make every effort to ensure that the content it distributes satisfies those editorial standards designed to assure integrity.

http://www.pbs.org/aboutpbs/aboutpbs_standards.html

By posting that, you are insinuating that PBS's standards are the ones that Stossel should live by.  But other networks might have their own standards for editorial integrity.

Uh...no.  I think you will find that this definition of editorial integrity is what every news organization says they aspire to.  They aren't a news organization if they don't, they are just one big infomercial...cough, cough...Fox News.
On timeout

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »
Then why not post ABC's standards?

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #263 on: November 09, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »
Christ, why don't you post them for me.  I'm not the only one with internet access. 
On timeout

• Mr Bungle
« Reply #264 on: November 09, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
I do like how the argument has shifted from whether Stossel is a shill, to should news organizations have to be ethical at all.
On timeout

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #265 on: November 09, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »
Christ, why don't you post them for me.  I'm not the only one with internet access. 

Well, you seem to enjoy accusing me of coming up with examples that don't apply to the situation.  I thought I'd see how you like it when the tables are turned.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #266 on: December 16, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »
Just because I love this picture.

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #267 on: December 16, 2009, 07:42:24 AM »
Just because I love this picture.
Hahaha, is that the poster for when he posed for Tiger Beat?