Author Topic: Any Love For John Stossel?  (Read 22082 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
Re: Any Love For John Stossel?
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2007, 08:14:18 AM »
*looks at stopwatch* Well that took a little longer than even I thought.... (going OT, I mean)  This man has more talent and drive in his pinkie than most mass media (I'm looking at you Geraldo) have in their entire bodies....

Not only that; unlike the majority of today's media, Stossel is an actual JOURNALIST, who lets the views he displays be guided by the facts he finds, rather than trying to shoehorn select facts and facets of a story into his own preconceived agenda.

See? Right back on-topic. So there. Nyah.  :b
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Hobbit

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
*looks at stopwatch* Well that took a little longer than even I thought.... (going OT, I mean)  This man has more talent and drive in his pinkie than most mass media (I'm looking at you Geraldo) have in their entire bodies....

Not only that; unlike the majority of today's media, Stossel is an actual JOURNALIST, who lets the views he displays be guided by the facts he finds, rather than trying to shoehorn select facts and facets of a story into his own preconceived agenda.

See? Right back on-topic. So there. Nyah.  :b

Not only that, but when he must inject his opinion, he clearly makes it known that it is his opinion only, not fact.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 06:01:39 PM »
Everytime I watch a piece by Stossel, i find it engaging and thought provoking.  Everytime I hear Geraldo open his mouth, I'm reminded of when he got his nose broken by a skinhead on his talkshow, and when he opened 'Al Capone's Vault'....

Offline Lady Kitsch

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 05:32:53 PM »
I mostly like Stossel.  He can be a bit too self-righteous and overly indignant at times, but his work is always interesting even if you don't agree with it.  If all broadcast journalists were like him, I'd watch a lot more news programs. 

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 12:53:21 AM »
"Any Love For John Stossel?" is, bar none, the most hilarious post title ever to grace this forum. I think I peed a little.

Now that my laughter has subsided, yeah, he is cool. On a related note, whatever happened to Robert Krulwich?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »
"Any Love For John Stossel?" is, bar none, the most hilarious post title ever to grace this forum. I think I peed a little.

Now that my laughter has subsided, yeah, he is cool. On a related note, whatever happened to Robert Krulwich?

Good question. The last I heard from him was the Nightline segment he did on Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 04:51:11 PM »
Stossel's brushed with controversy a few times on playing fast and loose with some facts and studies, but for the most part I'm down with him.

If you like Stossel, you should check out Penn and Teller's show on Showtime, "BullS@1t"!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 09:04:05 PM »
Stossel's brushed with controversy a few times on playing fast and loose with some facts and studies, but for the most part I'm down with him.

If you like Stossel, you should check out Penn and Teller's show on Showtime, "BullS@1t"!

Y'all so crazy. Bullshit! is the best show on television. Season five starts real soon!

- Conan O'Brien

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2007, 07:43:58 AM »
Oh, we *can* spell that show title out? I'm still feeling out the rules here and didn't wanna risk it. :)

-Chris

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »

This brings up an interesting digression (me? digress? perish the thought!); I'm proceeding from the assumption that most of us here have what would be seen by most people as a "peculiar" sense of humor, so here's my question:

Have you ever had a line or joke you came up with that you worked really hard on, to which you gave a great deal of thought, only to have it lay there flopping about like an asphyxiating trout when you told it to a group of "normals?" And, by the same token, have you had a line you just tossed out there as a "throwaway," which you came up with off the top of your head and thought was, at best, mildly amusing, only to have it be greeted by gales of hysterical laughter from the same people? This happens to me all the time.

- Conan O'Brien

acoletterose

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2007, 06:55:28 AM »
I certainly have. Although I'm more likely to come with a really kickass comeback an hour later. And then I have to get all pissed of at myself and remember it just in case there is that ONE time in the future that I can use it...

80 years later.... I use it and then get all excited; go out and celebrate.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2007, 10:06:14 PM »
Oh, we *can* spell that show title out? I'm still feeling out the rules here and didn't wanna risk it. :)

-Chris

We've debated this and determined that we're all pretty much adults here, so naturally, as adults, we find that profanity, when used judiciously, can be fucking hysterical. For more fun ways to use the F-word, visit Groucho2006's F-Bomb Thread.Knowing is half the battle.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 11:03:05 AM »
Yo Joe!

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 05:43:34 AM »

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 08:30:54 AM »

Thanks for the link... and i may just have to pick up that book he mentions.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>