Author Topic: the future of broadband Thread  (Read 10676 times)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 564
  • Riff Super Monsters
Re: the future of broadband Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
Sprint Nextel Corp. (S)’s bid for Clearwire Corp. (CLWR), slated for an investor vote on May 21, won the endorsement of Egan-Jones Ratings Co., which joined Institutional Shareholder Services Inc. in supporting the deal.

“Based on our review of publicly available information on strategic, corporate governance and financial aspects of the proposed transaction, Egan-Jones views the proposed transaction to be a desirable approach,” the Haverford, Pennsylvania-based shareholder-advisory firm said today in a report.

The endorsement lends fresh support to the deal following ISS’s stamp of approval last week. The two firms disagreed with another proxy adviser, Glass, Lewis & Co., which recommended that investors vote no on Sprint’s $2.97-a-share offer. Sprint, which already owns slightly more than 50 percent of Clearwire, is trying to acquire the remaining stake for $2.2 billion.

“These recommendations affirm the conclusion of a rigorous multiyear strategic review and reinforce the board’s unanimous belief that this combination is the best strategic alternative for Clearwire’s minority stockholders, delivering certain, fair and attractive value,” Bellevue, Washington-based Clearwire said today in an e-mailed statement.

Sprint and Clearwire reached the deal in December after their four-year joint venture struggled to build a nationwide wireless Internet provider. Sprint, based in Overland Park, Kansas, is now planning to use Clearwire’s spectrum to bolster its own network.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2013-05-13/clearwire-says-egan-jones-has-joined-iss-in-endorsing-sprint-bid
Academy Days by henry88 aka  Ghost of Criswell
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
Just two short weeks ago, IT Expo and the collocated Super Wi-Fi & Shared Spectrum Summit wrapped up in Las Vegas, Nevada. The multifaceted Conference continues to grow as the “premier business communications and technology event,” and Carlson Wireless has been an involved participant and sponsor from the beginning. This year, our very own Jim Carlson was pleased to serve as an expert on three panel sessions at the Super Wi-Fi Summit, which were:

1. Commercial Rollout of White Spaces in Kenya, South Africa, U.S., India, Brazil, Nigeria, and Kazakhstan

2. Bring On the New White Space Radios: Battle of the Devices: Show & Tell Round One

3. White Space Radios Deliver 50Mbps

Although Carlson has served as a panelist on TV White Space development at Super Wi-Fi Summits in the past, this year was probably the most exciting--as we are closer to FCC certification than ever before.

With that in mind, the “Battle of the Devices” session proved to be an interesting mix of competition--yet collaboration--between White Space radio manufacturers including Carlson, Adaptrum, KTS, and 6Harmonics. With two manufacturers on the panel commercially certified (KTS and Adaptrum) and the others anxiously waiting their own certification, one might be surprised to hear that the overall tone between these would-be “competitors” sounded a lot more like industry collaborators--a testament to the collective nature of White Space technologies and spectrum sharing.

“I want to start off by saying there is no battle here,” Jim continued, “we all stand here because we share a passion and a dream of what TV White Space can do.”

With this in mind, it is no wonder that many find Shared Spectrum/White Spaces to be a disruptive technology, as the top manufacturers in the field are well aware of the innovative benefits that healthy competition and low barriers to market entry promote. It is the avid diligence of everyone in the industry that has led to rapid device advancements and increased trial deployments, all of which continue to prove that White Spaces will truly change global discourse and bridge the digital divide.

Now, as White Space industry leaders, we all look to the FCC to join our “team,” and demonstrate their commitment to “promoting competition, innovation, and investment in broadband services” and “encouraging the highest and best use of spectrum domestically and internationally**” by certifying White Space devices for commercial use. This proactive move will surely induce similar regulatory decisions abroad-- opening modern communications to the billions without access.

http://www.carlsonwireless.com/blog/trade-shows/322-it-exposuper-wi-fi-a-shared-spectrum-summit.html
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3299939/1/Academy-Days mind dropping a review or perhaps sharing some ideas via pm

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1085
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
After an incredibly annoying process where Time Warner cable kept refusing to tell me how much they would charge for a service upgrade after the 12 month promotional period ended, I finally got them to tell me over text chat, and then proceeded to upgrade my connection. 

I upgraded to Ultimate, their fastest speed, which I was told was 50 Mbps.  However, after installing the new modem I purchased I'm getting a pretty consistent 110 Mbps, which is awesome.  Such a huge difference from the 20 Mbps I previously had.  I can now stream 4k video without a hitch, and I can download a 17 gig game in about 25 minutes.  Mixed with my router's QoS features that give bandwidth priority to streaming video, I no longer have to worry about slow internet speeds.

20 to 100 Mbps seems like night and day to me, so the jump up to gigabit internet must be insane.  That 17 gig game would download in less than 3 minutes.  Crazy.

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
I assert that there is no future for broadband. It all requires electricity and that will end in the next few decades. The only reasonable fuel for the future is Nuclear power but you hippies won't let us use it, because some babies might be born deformed.... WAAAAH!

Solar Energy sucks. It is dirty power. Surges, brown outs, you can't run central air, or a microwave.... oh, you can run a fan, awesome!

Wind, same thing. Dirty power weak power. Hydrogen cells are a horrifying myth...

Just use it up and burn it out. Lay down and die, that's my advice. I wish I could be alive to see the chocking, burning end with the hills on fire... wow... but, not in my lifetime.... possibly...

And... scene!

Grumpy Old man on Broadband -- Act One, Scene One!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2951
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2014, 09:43:05 AM »
So Gigabit is coming to my town (in the states) this year and will be around $99 per month for residential service (higher for businesses)..
I've already received a couple letters from my ISP (the only one in town cause they have a monopoly) stating that I've gone over my allowed data package by nearly double the amount and that I could be fined if I continue to go over my data usage ::)
This gigabit service may/may not keep the internet police off my back but it's something I may have to get :-\

Then I come to Mexico where the slow-ass 'dial-up' modems are still king for internet access and cable modems are just starting to move into the area; starting price: around $1200 Pesos (approx $92 dollars)  :grr:
OH FOR FUCKS SAKES!! :angry:

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
So Gigabit is coming to my town (in the states) this year and will be around $99 per month for residential service (higher for businesses)..
I've already received a couple letters from my ISP (the only one in town cause they have a monopoly) stating that I've gone over my allowed data package by nearly double the amount and that I could be fined if I continue to go over my data usage ::)
This gigabit service may/may not keep the internet police off my back but it's something I may have to get :-\

Have they run the fiber down your street yet?  Gigabit is talked up in a lot of places but ends up only being available in small areas where they run the fiber.

Then I come to Mexico where the slow-ass 'dial-up' modems are still king for internet access and cable modems are just starting to move into the area; starting price: around $1200 Pesos (approx $92 dollars)  :grr:

Is that the monthly cost or the modem cost?  That's only a little high for a modem but way high for a monthly bill.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »

Have they run the fiber down your street yet?  Gigabit is talked up in a lot of places but ends up only being available in small areas where they run the fiber.

Actually no.. They are supposed to be running it in downtown and i'm only a half mile from downtown so I don't know if it will even reach my locale this year or not :-\
Is that the monthly cost or the modem cost?  That's only a little high for a modem but way high for a monthly bill.
That's the total monthly cost, including the modem.
It's considered 'state of the art' so they charge ridiculous prices >:(

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »
AT&T Can 'Say Anything': AT&T IP Transition Trials and the Direct TV Merger Documents Contradict Previous Broadband Commitments.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-kushnick/att-can-say-anything-att_b_5490714.html

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »
Looks like YouTube and Netflix are blaming the ISPs for their crappy speeds and I tend to agree.. :o

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/07/youtube-streaming_n_5563913.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000042

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
Online piracy will no longer be a criminal offence in the USA The American government has now decided to decriminialise the piracy of films, music and games – meaning that users caught downloading and sharing pirated material will no longer be fined or prosecuted. Starting in 2015, those caught pirating material online will receive four letters telling the individual that they have committed an illegal offence….and, well that’s it. The reason for the change in policy is that the government have found the current punishment plans to be largely unworkable – and pretty sensibly so. Ofcom recently released figures stating that almost a quarter of all downloads in the USA were of something pirated – which would be a hell of a lot of people to prosecute. While after next year individuals will no longer be fined or prosecuted, the government says it will still continue to try and stop the funding of pirating sites, but overall – it seems like our government has given up the fight against online piracy. For the rest of us – its time to dig out that Jack Sparrow costume and get on the rum.

See More : http://mogul.ws/online-piracy-will-no-longer-be-a-criminal-offence-in-the-usa/

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2051
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Online piracy will no longer be a criminal offence in the USA The American government has now decided to decriminialise the piracy of films, music and games – meaning that users caught downloading and sharing pirated material will no longer be fined or prosecuted. Starting in 2015, those caught pirating material online will receive four letters telling the individual that they have committed an illegal offence….and, well that’s it. The reason for the change in policy is that the government have found the current punishment plans to be largely unworkable – and pretty sensibly so. Ofcom recently released figures stating that almost a quarter of all downloads in the USA were of something pirated – which would be a hell of a lot of people to prosecute. While after next year individuals will no longer be fined or prosecuted, the government says it will still continue to try and stop the funding of pirating sites, but overall – it seems like our government has given up the fight against online piracy. For the rest of us – its time to dig out that Jack Sparrow costume and get on the rum.

See More : http://mogul.ws/online-piracy-will-no-longer-be-a-criminal-offence-in-the-usa/

I find this hard to believe.  Are there any official sources?

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »

I find this hard to believe.  Are there any official sources?
Just that link in the bottom of the quote.. I didn't research it further