Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 54310 times)

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 130
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #495 on: April 24, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »
MLB.TV is pissing me off this year. Have subbed to the steaming package for- I don't know- 9 or 10 years now- and never had any problem with the quality of the video stream. For some reason this year I've had frequent stuttering video in each and every game that I've watched (video freezes for seconds at a time but the audio continues as normal). Never had the problem in years past and don't have the problem with any other streaming services. Pausing the video and then restarting it fixes it for a time, but it reoccurs and is annoying as hell.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2336
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #496 on: April 24, 2018, 07:40:41 PM »
This along with the comment in the other thread about Amazon streaming makes me think there is something wrong with your connection.  I've seen no changes at all watching anything on Amazon streaming the last 2 weeks, all shows still look as good in HD as Netflix or Hulu.  Can't comment on MLB.TV since I canceled that a few years ago.

MLB.TV is pissing me off this year. Have subbed to the steaming package for- I don't know- 9 or 10 years now- and never had any problem with the quality of the video stream. For some reason this year I've had frequent stuttering video in each and every game that I've watched (video freezes for seconds at a time but the audio continues as normal). Never had the problem in years past and don't have the problem with any other streaming services. Pausing the video and then restarting it fixes it for a time, but it reoccurs and is annoying as hell.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #497 on: April 24, 2018, 08:16:34 PM »
No...different issues. Lots of folks are upset about yhe Amazon problems. Pirates who were downloading and distributing Amazon files that were previously 1 gb plus in size are now seeing file sizes/bitrates a fourth of what they were 2 weeks ago. Sometimes it's hard to see a difference, but in shows with dark scenes or a lot of action, it can be pretty obvious.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #498 on: April 25, 2018, 07:00:40 AM »
No...different issues. Lots of folks are upset about yhe Amazon problems. Pirates who were downloading and distributing Amazon files that were previously 1 gb plus in size are now seeing file sizes/bitrates a fourth of what they were 2 weeks ago. Sometimes it's hard to see a difference, but in shows with dark scenes or a lot of action, it can be pretty obvious.

Guess if it stays that way I'll notice it in the fall when the next show I watch starts up again, everything I'm watching now is at least a year old, so they are not messing with the older files so far.

It could be the studios doing it, the few times I've complained about an issue with a video they always pass the buck to the studio, saying they are either waiting for the files or they have to request new files if there is something wrong with one.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #499 on: April 30, 2018, 07:49:17 PM »
Seems this dude Gabe Kapler is a freaking moron.  3 games in and 2 of them he has messed up badly.  Phillies finally have some talent on the team and we have a used car salesman for a manager.

Awww that’s too bad. I liked him when he played for Boston.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #500 on: April 30, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
Seems this dude Gabe Kapler is a freaking moron.  3 games in and 2 of them he has messed up badly.  Phillies finally have some talent on the team and we have a used car salesman for a manager.

Awww that’s too bad. I liked him when he played for Boston.

He is getting better, fewer bonehead moves, and he isn't sounding as much like a used car salesman in interviews lately, but still a bit too much for my taste so I mostly avoid listening to the pre and post game interviews.

Phillies were rolling along nicely for several weeks, but the last 3 games they have not played well other than a few spectacular defensive plays.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #501 on: May 05, 2018, 12:04:56 PM »
MLB.TV seems to have worked out the freezing issues I was experiencing early this season-video would freeze for up to 10 seconds with the audio continuing normal-would happen every 10 to 15 minutes. Just speculating, but I think it had something to do with how the MLB Roku channel was dealing with fluctuations in the wifi signal. In years past if my wifi signal degraded (due to interference or bandwidth issues like a bunch of devices accessing wifi at once) MLB would automatically switch to a lower quality video until the bandwidth was available again. Wasn't doing that earlier in the season. It is again now.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #502 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
MLB.TV problems back after a game or two of not having any problems. A quick but ugly solution I've found is when the video freezes to pause it for a second and then unpause and the problem generally won't occur again for another 20 to 30 minutes (this via watching 3 different Roku devices)

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #503 on: July 14, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
MLB.TV Roku problems seem to finally be resolved.
Cubs back in first place finally despite a lot of horrible starting pitching.
Brewers have been very impressive though and I fear the Brewers might be able to make a trade or 2 before the deadline that the Cubs can't (or at least the Cubs shouldn't as the Cubs have a lot of low salary players that they'd have to give up in any significant trade and short of a pitched ace of some kind, I see most trades as hurting them long term).
Biggest disappointment (obviously) has been Darvish. Would have done much better to resign Arrieta for that money, but hindsight is always 20/20. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #504 on: July 14, 2018, 11:01:44 PM »
Friday I'm driving home from work and the sports radio people are all saying things like "Utley will be remembered for bla bla bla", "he WAS great at bla bla bla", etc.
After about 5 minutes of this I assumed he had died and started to feel pretty sad about it.
Turned over to the local news station at the top of the hour and it turns out he was announcing his retirement at the end of the season...

Hopefully the Phillies can stay in 1st place for a little while, been a while since they were in the position half way through the season.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #505 on: July 14, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »
Would have done much better to resign Arrieta for that money, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Hard to say if he has been worth all the money the Phillies gave him, not that he's terrible or anything, but something like 30 million for this year and he's 7 and 6?   Maybe just for his influence on all the young guys we have it is worth it.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #506 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
I'm watching it mainly because the wife is working and nothing else on TV or in my queue of things I intent to watch really interests me tonight, but I just can't get excited about the homerun derby like I did when I was a kid- just hoping that it doesn't screw up the 2 Cubs that are in it's swings for the next few weeks. 
I don't get too excited about the All Star game anymore either (they're great to go to if you ever have a chance though), but I am very happy that it's back to being the exhibition game that it was intended to be (and it's still the best of any of the other leagues' all star games). 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #507 on: July 28, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »
Battle of the tongue twisters: Phillies now have Odubel Herrera and Asdrubal Cabrera in their lineup.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #508 on: August 12, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
Still kind of early, but the Cubs trade for Cole Hammels may be what leads them into the playoffs. Would have been much more excited if the the trade had occurred 5 years ago, but it's amazing that Cubs are doing as well as they are with such terrible starting pitching and that Hammels (at least so far) is number 1 to Mike Montgomery's number 2 as far as best Cubs starters.

Online wihogfan

• Big Montana
« Reply #509 on: August 25, 2018, 07:18:46 PM »
Cubs pitching has been much better of late, but hitting was abysmal until they picked up Murphy from the Nationals early this week. (The fact that they were able to take 3 out of 5 games during a 5 game stretch last week when they only scored 1 run each game was pretty amazing). Still not feeling overly confident that they'll win the division, but the mid/late season trades they've made seem to have all been positives and have more than offset the higher than expected DL stints they've experienced this year (and are still experiencing- Darvish out for the rest of the year and unless he has a big comeback next year it might end up being one of the worst contracts ever).