login

Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 62519 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2592
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Home opening series has the Phillies swept by the Brewers.   :'(

I know the Brewers are on fire out of the gate but it really exposed the fact that our pitching sucks.  Defense has been spotty.  Only bright side is they are getting hits and some runs, much better than they did in spring training.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #406 on: May 25, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Well, at least something interesting happened at a Phillies game, too bad it was the other pitcher pitching a no hitter, 3 walks shy of a perfect game....

The 2 big patterns so far this year:  Opponents lead off on base percentage is insane, and it's leading to a lot of runs.  And blowing leads or ties in the last 3 innings.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2014, 02:39:28 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i-yuxF-C4_8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i-yuxF-C4_8?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

"Juuuuuust a bit outside..."

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:39 PM »
Phillies and Mets might as well just play 24/7...  Guys on the radio are down to adding up the hours played so far this year, with rain delays added it's almost up to 2 days worth so far this season.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #409 on: July 01, 2014, 08:10:36 PM »
So Ortiz just decided that he should just walk to first on a 3-0 pitch... and watch the next pitch come in as he's walking to first.

http://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/531167

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #410 on: July 03, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »
Looks like it's going to be fire sale time for the Phillies.   :'(

Of course there are only a few on the team that don't have big red flags (age, injuries, etc...), so it's not like we could get much in return. 

Some of the deals made several years ago are really hurting now, the Hunter Pence deal probably did the most harm to our farm system.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #411 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:45 PM »
Tornado warning at Fenway at the moment.  :speechless: (We're not supposed to get tornados in Boston! That's why I didn't move to the mid-west!  Well... one reason anyway.)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2014, 01:44:49 PM »
 :gouge:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31:19 PM »
K1, at least you got rid of JD Drew.........who I warned you about a few years ago how crappy he was and you threw all the "Moneyball" junk at me for being glad the Cardinals dump him for their All Star pitcher?

Well, have a beer and just be glad you got rid of all the DREWS

The odd thing was, the Cardinals still have way too many outfielders even with Craig getting traded.  I can see some more movements by them this off season.

And despite how terrible Craig has played this year, he is a great guy and player and you all will love him.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #414 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
Phillies do NOTHING!  We are screwed for several years at least, no prospects and an old team that can only play well about 1 week a month....

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #415 on: July 31, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
K1, at least you got rid of JD Drew.........who I warned you about a few years ago how crappy he was and you threw all the "Moneyball" junk at me for being glad the Cardinals dump him for their All Star pitcher?

The odd thing was, the Cardinals still have way too many outfielders even with Craig getting traded.  I can see some more movements by them this off season.

And despite how terrible Craig has played this year, he is a great guy and player and you all will love him.

I still say JD was a decent signing despite how maddening it was to see him show zero emotion and constantly taking called third strikes, grounding into double plays, and...  :grr: you know what, screw that guy.  (But he did put up decent numbers.)

Absolutely HATED the Stephen Drew re-signing especially when we had Bogaerts and Holt up already.  And now we have Kelly Johnson for him? Yay?

As much as I hate Lackey, I kinda didn't want to see him go.  HOWEVER, I really like what the Red Sox got in return.  Craig has serious potential, and Kelly was a beast last year with an ERA of around 2.69ish IIRC.

The Lester & Gomes for Cespedes deal...  :-\  Sure Cespedes has some pop and a cannon for an arm, but what good does it do to score a bunch of runs if you have ZERO STARTERS OTHER THAN BUCHHOLZ ON YOUR ROSTER????  Great, you scored 5 runs a game! But you just gave up 8 because you have no starters!

We will see how the Miller deal to the O's works out. Could be fine & who knows. Maybe Miller will come back to the Sox after the season. (If not, oh well.)

So by my count the Red Sox currently have 8 outfielders on the roster???  Nava, Bradley Jr, Victorino, Cespedes, Craig (1B/OF), Carp (1B/OF), Johnson (2B/OF), Holt (1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF)

Our new starting rotation is Buchholz, De La Rosa, Webster, Workman, & Kelly.  :speechless:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #416 on: August 21, 2014, 01:41:08 PM »
At least there's one baseball team in Philly people can be proud of...

Taney Dragons are no longer undefeated, but still alive in the LLWS.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #417 on: August 23, 2014, 06:05:33 AM »

...and somehow we're still in first place. What a strange and enjoyable season this has been.

Phillies do NOTHING!  We are screwed for several years at least, no prospects and an old team that can only play well about 1 week a month....

I don't envy your situation whatsoever. You need to cut ties w/ Amaro. He's so out-of-touch.

I still say JD was a decent signing despite how maddening it was to see him show zero emotion and constantly taking called third strikes, grounding into double plays, and...  :grr: you know what, screw that guy.  (But he did put up decent numbers.)

Drew was an above-average player throughout his career, and I wouldn't have minded him on my team at all throughout any point of it.

k1, you guys really overpaid for Castillo, and I think you should've gotten more for Lester than you did. There's a reason why the A's got rid of him; he can't get on base.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #418 on: August 23, 2014, 06:25:35 AM »

Drew was an above-average player throughout his career, and I wouldn't have minded him on my team at all throughout any point of it.

k1, you guys really overpaid for Castillo, and I think you should've gotten more for Lester than you did. There's a reason why the A's got rid of him; he can't get on base.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with any of that.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #419 on: August 23, 2014, 10:21:18 AM »

I don't envy your situation whatsoever. You need to cut ties w/ Amaro. He's so out-of-touch.

I really hope Amaro is gone next year, he was delusional with how much he wanted in return for some of our crap players.  I can only think of one or two deals he has done that turned out well, but many that have hurt us badly in the long term.

It's hard to tell what kind of manger Sandberg really is, he's in a really bad situation, trying to manage a team of older guys that were used to how Charlie did things. 

Wednesday night there were about 35,000 people 3 hours away attending the Taney Dragons game, only 24,000 people at the Phillies game.