Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 59598 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Baseball 2012, 2013, The Thread
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
Yeah, showing people in the fans must be their way to get people SO interested in what fans at a game look like.

I hate that

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
"Robinson Cano agreed Friday to a 10-year, $240 million free-agent contract with the Mariners, as confirmed by FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi. The deal ties Cano with Albert Pujols for the third largest in baseball history."

Those two contracts were PATHETIC.......given by teams that will never make the playoffs.  And the Yankees WAY overpaid for the ex-Boston outfielder too.

That is not how you win people, learn!

At least ESPN can now think even less and drool over these teams more.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2527
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #392 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
I'm happy the Phillies signed Chooch for another 3 years.  Now if he can just stay healthy.

But have no idea how they are going to get what is needed to get back to playing well.  Seems like too many holes need to be filled...

Guess it's time to change the name of the thread again, 2014 is almost here...

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #393 on: December 06, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
And the Yankees WAY overpaid for the ex-Boston outfielder too.

That is not how you win people, learn!

That deal will be ok (not great) for maybe 3 years.  After that it'll be Carl Crawford in Boston all over again.  Speed doesn't necessarily age well.  Not to mention he's not really the quickest to come back from injury.

The amount of $ the Yanks have tied up between CC, Teixeira, Ellsbury, McCann, Jeter, & possibly A-Rod is just silly.  It'll be even funnier after A-Rod has been out of the game for a year and attempts to come back.  I'm actually torn.  I want him suspended, but I also want the Yanks to have to pay his salary.  But I don't want him to get paid....  I hate A-Rod more than I hate the Yanks, so I'm leaning towards suspension.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #394 on: December 06, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »
I hate A-Rod more than I hate the Yanks, so I'm leaning towards suspension.

I only dislike the Yanks, so big lean towards suspension.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #395 on: December 07, 2013, 04:32:30 AM »
I want the (failing to make the wild card) Yankees to keep over paying, having personnel issues and have to do with a failing A-Rod on the roster......and pouting all the rest of his contract.   Maybe they can add one of the over rated Drew boys to their team.

Boston must love this.

The Cardinals have their team set up for next year, so that is good.   I wonder what they are planning next as they have 7-9 starting pitchers and a few closers.   

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #396 on: December 19, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
Yankees offered Choo a $140 million dollar deal AFTER they signed Ellsbury?  :o  (He said no so they signed Beltran.)

They are spending STUPID amounts of money.  It's kind of amazing.  They're just digging themselves a deeper hole each time they do that.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
Meanwhile we sign loosing pitchers....

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #398 on: January 31, 2014, 06:10:27 AM »
I'm renewing the Yahoo Fantasy Baseball leagues.  If anyone new is interested & wants to join, speak up.  It's free, not overly cutthroat, and we have 3 leagues. Join one, join em all. Whatever you want.

Roto - standard roto league
Head To Head - You vs another team each week, playoff bracket at the end of the "season"
Razzball - Create the worst team you possibly can. Score points for things like getting caught stealing, wild pitches, losing, errors, etc. (It's weird, but fun.)

The more the merrier.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #399 on: February 16, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »
 Not sure what to make of the A J Burnett deal.

Video of Ryan Howard has him looking pretty good, he has been down in Florida working out for a while already.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #400 on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:10 AM »
I'm renewing the Yahoo Fantasy Baseball leagues.  If anyone new is interested & wants to join, speak up.  It's free, not overly cutthroat, and we have 3 leagues. Join one, join em all. Whatever you want.

Roto - standard roto league
Head To Head - You vs another team each week, playoff bracket at the end of the "season"
Razzball - Create the worst team you possibly can. Score points for things like getting caught stealing, wild pitches, losing, errors, etc. (It's weird, but fun.)

The more the merrier.

Bumping up because baseball.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #401 on: February 17, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
I'd love too, but the NFL is almost too much time picking each week's starting team, let alone a 162* game season

* or in the Astro's case, a 5 game season

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2014, 06:19:23 AM »
Yankees offered Choo a $140 million dollar deal AFTER they signed Ellsbury?  :o  (He said no so they signed Beltran.)

They are spending STUPID amounts of money.  It's kind of amazing.  They're just digging themselves a deeper hole each time they do that.

Wait, they offered Choo that? Somehow I managed to miss that over at MLBtraderumors. That's insane.

I still cannot comprehend why they didn't resign Cano even though the Mariners were literally bidding against themselves leading up to the eventual deal. They're going to miss him big-time and vice-versa. Good luck @ Safeco, Robinson.

I'm quietly optimistic about my Crew's chances this season. Our pitching's deep (really loving the Garza & Smith acquisitions); we can undoubtedly hit. However, I'm concerned if we'll be able to get on base consistently sans Braun & Lucroy. The NL Central's gonna be a beast again, and I believe we'll be throwing our hat into the race this year.

And I know he's a scumbag and all, but I'm really enjoying Braun taking the heel route when it's coming to his approach to the road games. This is gonna be a ride. If he can stay healthy, he's gonna destroy.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline anais.butterfly

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1382
  • Monkey Brains!
« Reply #403 on: February 18, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
I'd love too, but the NFL is almost too much time picking each week's starting team, let alone a 162* game season

* or in the Astro's case, a 5 game season

I joined the fantasy league, but you're right, that is a LOT of games.....
Anais is the Coolest Butterfly I know  ;D

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
I hope the Phillies don't broadcast the regular season the way they are doing spring training games.  2 guys doing color commentary is too much.  Although I do like Jamie Moyer and Matt Stairs way more than the guys they replaced, having both of them on at the same time is too much.  Please go back to one announcer and one color guy per inning with swapping them every few innings.

That said, it was a joy to watch a game without Chris Wheeler talking to me as if I was an idiot that had never seen a baseball game in my life.  Matt Stairs had a few moments that got close to that, Jamie Moyer didn't seem to go there at all.