login

Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 65719 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Baseball 2012, The Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
Annnnd...it's over.  Well, there's always next year.  Of course, we said that in '09...'10...'11...

We're a very hopeful town, I'll say that.   ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #241 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
No, I can't be optimistic today. Different people have different ways of coping with disappointment. Some look for silver linings and look ahead to the future, others spew forth a cathartic blend of profanity and verbal abuse.

But as I rather like the message boards here and the people who frequent them, I've done my raging elsewhere. After a little while of licking my wounds, I'll be able to move on and by April I'll be looking forward to another season. But TONIGHT, I am pissed the hell off.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »
Oh, don't me wrong, I'm mad, too.  But I figure the more time I spend engaged in other things, the quicker it will get better.

I just get a little tired of the words "Choke" popping up whenever Detroit gets to a championship.  Happened to the Pistons a couple of years ago, and it keeps happening with the Tigers.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #243 on: October 29, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
I think it is mostly idiots who use terms like 'choke' when a sports team loses.  And, mostly spoken by people who cannot toss a baseball.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
What the heck? What kind of insanity just happened in Florida?

Also it's a disgrace that they got public funding for that new stadium if they clearly aren't going to bother putting together a major league team.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2012, 05:55:15 PM »
Maybe they can hire the ex Red Sox manager now......or just give all the fans free shrimp cocktails.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2012, 06:50:43 PM »
If I had to work in that stadium looking at those colors all day I'd also be a little nuts.

Seems like fire sales are just something the Marlins like to do, remember the year after they won the World Series?

Yay for the Phillies signing Frandsen for next year, he was pretty darn good at 3rd base when filling in last year, and wasn't bad with the bat either.  They've got 2 guys left eligible for arbitration.

Boo that they let Polanco become a free agent.  Guess they didn't think he was worth 5.5 mil, after all the time injured last year, and also his hitting slump.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
They do fire sales quite a bit. I just find it odd given the "we are going to get a new ballpark, logo, uniform, and build our team around guys like Hanley Ramirez (oops)" statements they were making last year.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2012, 03:00:07 AM »
Well, it is NOT a baseball town for sure.   I mean, that kind of stuff would never happen in St Louis or Philly or any other real place.   They are just flipping the card, restarting and will now sign all new guys and tell the few fans "okay, NOW we got it".    Hell, maybe they can get a new stupid uniform this year too.  Real teams do not change uniforms every few years.   I mean, teams like the Yankees and Cardinals have had the same ones since the 1800s.

Maybe they can just enjoy the shrimp cocktails.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »
I guess people in Florida don't travel from one town to another?  The way spring training parks fill up it sure seems like there are a lot of baseball fans in the area.  Kind of surprises me the teams down there don't get more people at the games.  Unless most of those people fly in for spring training vacations?

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2012, 10:38:22 AM »
Tons of people from Boston head down for spring training. There were a bunch of people I used to work with who had "season tickets" for spring training each year.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #251 on: November 14, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
But we did get Torii Hunter.  A lot of guys I know are really excited about that, especially since he came to us...word was the Yankees were looking to scoop him up.

Between Jackson, Cabrera, Fielder, a healthy Martinez, and Hunter, that's a damn good start to next year's lineup.

Also, a friend pointed out to me that every time Joe Buck has announced during a Tigers playoff series, we've lost, be it World Series or League Title.  Therefore, we kindly ask Joe Buck to take a long vacation next October.  I hear Antarctica is very nice that time of year.  ;)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #252 on: November 15, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »
Signing 37-38 year old outfielders........might be time to actually have the minor leagues pick up some.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #253 on: December 03, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »
Well the Sox signed Napoli.  3 years 39 million.

I'm decidedly "meh" on this.  He's not a good 1B defensively which is where ownership says he'll be playing.  He's a decent OBP guy, but his batting average career-wise isn't great.  (Shocking for a catcher I know...) 

My hope is they go after Swisher so they can use him in the outfield & swap him in at 1B late in the game for defense.  I'm not a huge fan of Swisher, but I think trying to get him makes sense because he fills multiple needs.  (And he's better than Johnny Gomes...)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #254 on: December 05, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »
"And you get a 3 year 39 million deal! And you get a 3 year 39 million deal! We ALL GET A 3 YEAR 39 MILLION DOLLAR DEAL!" - Boston Oprah Sox.

Well... I guess Victorino isn't the worst player out there, but that's not the greatest signing...