Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 61164 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Baseball 2012, The Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 12, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
Okay, the Cardinal game made my heart the size of a basketball.

Wow....

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2562
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #226 on: October 12, 2012, 10:25:56 PM »
I'm glad the nats are gone.

Cards fans need to make sure they have strong hearts, how many times can they keep going to their last season ending strike and survive?

Offline JimJ

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:42 AM »
Well it was a great season for the O's.  Looking forward to next year!

Yeah, this season did the impossible and got me interested in baseball.  Thinking about going up to Baltimore next season to see a few games.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #228 on: October 14, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
Made the mistake of watching espn this morning to see if Yankees or Detroit won game in extra innings.    I see that Detroit won on my phone, but espn is showing several minutes of Yankees tying game in 9th and blubbering how this comeback will be remembered forever.   Oh, then they show a second of one of detroits runs in the 12th (only show a bit of one run) and nothing of Detroit getting the save.

And of course, they then have SEVERAL bits about Jeter getting hurt.  Then some baseball guy said that "this injury will super impact and override all baseball teams".   REALLY?

Jesus espn, get over your Yankees and dodgers all time love and crap reporting.   

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #229 on: October 14, 2012, 05:28:12 AM »
I fell asleep in the 8th. All those extra innings O's games took a toll on me.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2012, 09:17:25 PM »
Well, I was at what was supposed to be a game today, but ended up not happening.  First time I've ever seen a game called on the chance that there would be rain as opposed to rain actually stopping play.  They could've played in it.  I certainly could have sat in it...especially with the rain not starting until two hours after scheduled game time.  Then, there was the drunken loser who threatened to smash our car if we didn't let him get into the line in front of us in the parking garage... (SPOILERED FOR LANGUAGE)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, game's rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon, and I'm going to try and make it, since I'll be downtown for Evil Dead the Musical later on that night and it's playing right across the street.
Made the mistake of watching espn this morning to see if Yankees or Detroit won game in extra innings.    I see that Detroit won on my phone, but espn is showing several minutes of Yankees tying game in 9th and blubbering how this comeback will be remembered forever.   Oh, then they show a second of one of detroits runs in the 12th (only show a bit of one run) and nothing of Detroit getting the save.

And of course, they then have SEVERAL bits about Jeter getting hurt.  Then some baseball guy said that "this injury will super impact and override all baseball teams".   REALLY?

Jesus espn, get over your Yankees and dodgers all time love and crap reporting.   

We've gotten used to this sort of coverage.  We just assume no matter what team we're playing, Joe Buck is automatically going to start rooting for the other side without coming out and saying it.  But if Joe Girardi's going to get all upset about a blown call and begin wanting Instant Replay instituted immediately in a game where no Yankee scored a run, Detroit's got eight words for him:

Armando Galarraga.  Perfect Game.  We got over it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:15:13 AM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #231 on: October 18, 2012, 04:02:09 AM »
I'm rooting for the Tigers and sooooooo tired of ESPN "Yankee Love" reporting.  If at all possible, go to the game!

My sister and brother in law are going to Cardinal game today.   Since they went to WS game 6 last year, I approve them going.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #232 on: October 18, 2012, 08:23:39 PM »
And...huzzah!  Much more pleasant evening this time around, for a multitude of reasons.  I did miss the ninth inning, because I had to go across the street to catch Evil Dead: The Musical (I was concerned I was going to have to miss one or the other though I bought tickets a week ago for Evil Dead), but I caught all the good stuff.  Seeing at least one playoff game in my life was worth it, I think.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #233 on: October 18, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »
Good job for the Tigers chomping on the Yankees.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2012, 05:39:55 AM »
Sox traded Mike Aviles to Toronto for John Farrell. 

It's a step in the right direction, but pretty much any of the candidates this time around were a step in the right direction.  I'm thinking Ausmus goes for the job with the Jays now that he didn't get the one in Boston.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »
Bobby V is the gift that keeps on giving..

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/rob-bradford/2012/10/24/bobby-valentine-might-want-check-his-facts

He made TONS of comments that went against what actually happened in his Costas interview.  In some cases HE was the one who originally spilled stories to the media only to then turn around and claim he has no idea where the media was getting this misinformation from.

He's gone and I still can't stand him.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »
Goddamn it, Tigers, you're doing it wrong!
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
Seriously un-Verlanderish.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #238 on: October 27, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
Well, hey, Verlander does have his bad days...Sabathia had a VERY bad day when he went against us.

Nice thing is, Verlander usually doesn't have the same screw-ups in a pitching cycle, if we can get back to him in the rotation (EDIT: Wow, I really fumbled writing this sentence the other night.  Me speak English good).  But even in Game 2, our pitching was great, but our hitting looked like mid-season stuff when we were struggling.

About halfway through game 3 now, and they've at least gotten on base a number of times.  Sanchez allowed two, but that's still excellent pitching on his end all things considered.  Just need to close the deal...

EDIT: Annnnd no deal closing tonight.  Now it's just up to the statistically unlikely (but potentially hilarious) 4 game comeback.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 11:56:54 AM by SJP »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2012, 06:57:02 AM »
Never say never. I seem to remember about 8 years ago something happened that humiliated a certain Yankees franchise.