Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 59431 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1506
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Baseball 2012, The Thread
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
This trade deadline was pretty crazy on the NL West side!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2012, 04:27:47 AM »
Jeez, all the crappy reporting on espn and fox kept calling EVERYONE traded as superstars.   

News for them, only average guys were traded.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2012, 04:32:13 AM »
For real. When Ryan Dumpster is the biggest name out there?  He's decent, but I've been hurt by him on my Fantasy Baseball team more times than not.  (I forget if I shared the story about nearly getting tossed from an Iowa Cubs game for yelling at him on here.  If I haven't, let me know and I'll type it up.)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2012, 04:40:07 AM »
Iowa Cubs.....I've been to their games in person and they are better than real Cubs

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2525
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2012, 03:26:58 PM »
Chooch on the 15 day disabled list.  Any faint hope of getting close to a wildcard spot is really gone now.  Doubt they can even make it a winning season now.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2012, 07:25:58 PM »
The sellout streak at Citizens Bank Park is over.  43,000+ but not a sellout.  Longest streak in the NL.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
The sellout streak at Citizens Bank Park is over.  43,000+ but not a sellout.  Longest streak in the NL.

The red sox "sellout" streak is a joke.  Much like their season.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »

Because it's such a small park or because groups buy up all the unsold tickets?

When the Phillies new park opened it only held something like 30,000.  If they hadn't expanded it so much the last few years the streak could have kept going much longer.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2012, 05:33:05 AM »

I consider groups that buy tickets to count towards the sellout.  It's the idea of them counting "donated" tickets that are left over to their sellout numbers.

Here's an article that gives a little more insight into the streak.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/04/red_sox_sellout_streak_proves_to_be_a_real_numbers_game/

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »

I consider groups that buy tickets to count towards the sellout.  It's the idea of them counting "donated" tickets that are left over to their sellout numbers.

Here's an article that gives a little more insight into the streak.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/04/red_sox_sellout_streak_proves_to_be_a_real_numbers_game/

So what exactly are they doing?  If they give a certain number of tickets away how can they suddenly increase that number?  Are there people just hanging around waiting to get these free tickets that they donate during the game?  It does sound completely bogus.

I know the Phillies give away a lot of tickets, and count the standing room ones sold during the game.  But I believe the donated ones are counted before the game.  During the streak they often had over 100% attendance because of the standing room tickets that go on sale a few hours before the game.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »
Fenway math!

On a lighter note, the Disastros strike again!
http://deadspin.com/5932452/the-nationals-bunted-in-the-winning-run-from-first-because-the-astros-played-defense-like-morons

Watch the video.  Several times.  It's hilarious.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »
Fenway math!

On a lighter note, the Disastros strike again!
http://deadspin.com/5932452/the-nationals-bunted-in-the-winning-run-from-first-because-the-astros-played-defense-like-morons

Watch the video.  Several times.  It's hilarious.

Wow, scoring from 1st on a pop up bunt. 

It is hilarious, should be 4 or 5 errors given on that play.  I can sort of understand the first throwing error due to panic, but how can you be that far off trowing from behind first base?  I could see being off if throwing from deep in the outfield but that was really terrible.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #147 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:08 AM »
John Lackey seen double fisting beer in the clubhouse after last nights loss.

This team is such a joke.  I know he didn't personally cost the team the game, and sure the Sox ban of beer in the clubhouse "doesn't apply to road games" (now), but dude... after what happened at the end of last year, use some brains.

Speaking of smart moves, Beckett was out at a bar until 2am Monday night.  And he gave up 8 runs on Wednesday.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Report: Red Sox players take Valentine gripes to ownership
http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2012/08/report_red_sox_5.html

A group of Red Sox players met with team owner John Henry and team president Larry Lucchino in July to express their discontent with manager Bobby Valentine, according to a Yahoo! Sports report published today.
Adrian Gonzalez and Dustin Pedroia were among the players who were "the most vocal" at a July 27 meeting in New York, and some players said they did not want to continue playing for Valentine, Yahoo! reported.

The meeting was called after ownership received a text message from Gonzalez on behalf of his teammates to complain about Valentine leaving starting pitcher Jon Lester in as he allowed 11 runs on July 22 vs. the Blue Jays.

The report also says another example of a deepening rift in the organization was a photo that has been circulated via text message that shows Pedroia smiling with two thumbs up in front of an apparently sleeping Valentine. The message with the photo reads "Our manager contemplating his lineup at 3:30 p.m."

The report also says players at the meeting complained that Valentine spends too much time in his office.

Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington confirmed to Yahoo! that the meeting took place.

"The intent of the meeting was to provide a forum for people to express whatever frustration needed to be expressed at a time during the season when things were not going exactly the way we wanted to on the field in hopes that we could put whatever issues were there aside and focus on playing games the rest of the season. That was the intent of the meeting. That was the focus of ownership. It was a productive meeting," he said.

The Red Sox have supported Valentine throughout a rocky first season as the field manager. Both Cherington and Henry have made public statements backing him in recent weeks.

I'd love to see that picture.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »
I'd loooove that photo too!