Author Topic: Baseball: The Thread  (Read 65619 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 05, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
Yeah, what a difference a year makes...I've been a Cubs fan for a long time, so I've seen some pretty terrible teams. But man, despite being early in the season this year's team is already on a long stretch of losing games due to some of the worst pitching I've ever seen. I forsee them losing as many games as they won last year (95) and a lot of players that have been deemed as untoutchable over the last couple of years justifiably being traded at the deadline.   


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #526 on: April 05, 2019, 08:17:38 PM »
And yeah, Maddon may need to go sooner rather than later. Again, early in the season, but constantly relying on the same 3 relievers who collectively have an ERA of over 10 so far when you're carrying an extra reliever as opposed to an extra bat (and hitting hasn't been the issue, but giving up over 10 runs a game is) doesn't work when you only use those same 3 shitty relievers over and over again.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #527 on: April 16, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »
Don't think I've ever seen a lead off inning where the pitcher makes the first out and everyone before him has already scored.  I've seen high scoring innings before but 8-0 before the first out I don't ever remember.

And Philly gets the All Star Game in 2026, when the USA turns 250.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #528 on: April 17, 2019, 06:38:38 PM »
Cubs looking better the last couple of series (but I think everyone this year will look good against the Marlins). Hitting has really been great since opening day and starting pitching coming around despite Lester's early injury. Everyone staying healthy, Lester and our closer coming back, and the Brewers cooling off (which is bound to happen at some point) might actually make this season interesting despite the disaster it was looking like after the first week and a half. Have tickets to 2 games at Wrigley next week. Forecast keeps changing every day from 90% chance of rain those 2 days to 10% and then back to 90% and then back to 10%, so who knows.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2019, 07:42:29 PM »
Phillies bats have gone from white hot to ice cold, it's too bad for some of the pitchers that have had quality starts over the last week.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #530 on: April 26, 2019, 02:32:54 PM »
Got to see the Cubs take the first 2 games against the Dodgers. Temps were a bit chilly but no rain and I've been at Wrigley when it's been much much colder.
Was my first trip to Wrigley in 2 years. Inside wasn't that different then my last visit, but man the area outside has changed a lot- mostly for the better I guess- for the financials of the team at least since they bought most everything in the immediate surrounding area- but very touristy and you now have to walk about 3 or 4 blocks away to find affordable food and drinks. Found an awesome Arcade bar with free arcade games and cheap drinks.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #531 on: May 06, 2019, 07:43:56 PM »
Still a lot of season left, but 30 days after the Cubs started 1 and 6, they've gone from worst to first (worst record in MLB to best record in the NL).
Good hitting has continued and starting pitching has come around. Relief pitching still not great, but just good enough thanks to the number of runs they've been scoring.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #532 on: May 28, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »
Odubel Herrera arrested at a casino in Atlantic City for getting in a fight with his girlfriend.  MLB put him on administrative leave while they investigate.

I would not be sorry if the Phillies decide to let him go, the guy makes so many mental mistakes in the field and running the bases, this is just another example of that off the field.  Sure he gets into hitting streaks, but we have plenty of other big bats in the lineup these days.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #533 on: June 04, 2019, 03:41:49 PM »
Well, this blows... Reports are that Andrew McCutchen is done for season, torn ACL.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #534 on: June 22, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »
Cubs really kind of sucking for the last 2 weeks, but still barely holding onto first place. Division wide open for the Cubs, Brewers, or Cardinals to take. Bad pitching today, but overall it's been lack of hitting.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #535 on: June 22, 2019, 05:29:39 PM »
Phillies are also in a bad slump, swept by the Nats, and now two losses to Miami, they better pull out of it soon before Atlanta pulls away too far.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
NL Central still wide open and looking more and more like it might stay that way with no definitive winner until the end. Cubs look like World Series contenders when they play at home and like a last place team trying for a high draft pick when playing on the road.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #537 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »
Phillies finally did something they should have done a year ago, fire the hitting coach.
And they hired Charlie Manuel as hitting coach, so three years after he was fired as manager he's back as a coach.


Offline MartyS (Gromit)

  • Not Quite Legend
  • *****
  • Posts: 11723
  • Liked: 2644
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #538 on: August 16, 2019, 08:08:52 AM »
Jake Arrieta is finally on the injured list, seems unlikely he will be back this season, he's been pitching with a bone spur in his elbow and going fewer and fewer innings lately so just get the surgery already. 

Last night was fun, the Phillies have not been good at coming back this season, a grand slam walk off maybe can turn that stat around.


Offline wihogfan

  • Not Hurt By Pain
  • ******
  • Posts: 1294
  • Liked: 260
Re: Baseball: The Thread
« Reply #539 on: August 16, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
Last night not fun...but very typical of the Cubs on the road this year.