Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99441 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5901
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 09:02:40 PM »
#17b
Ice on Mars - The Twilight Saga: New Moon
(Total Points: 56    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #10 Invader Quirk)

Outright DECLARING itself a "saga" now, this movie asks you to make a choice. Are you Team Jacob, or Team Edward. Because of it's newly minted saga status, this is now a universal decision that will forever change the course of human events, and whole worlds hang in the balance.

This movie is most known for: Being the reason your testicles have receded back into your body.
      Further cementing Mormonism as the one true religion.
      T-shirt sales PLUMMET.

Noted riffs:
I don't know any. Please post some and I will add them here.

About the riff: Here is some info from Zenmichael:
Riffed by myself, Ari Dennis, Christopher Alderman & Kaisha Medford
Written by myself, Kaisha Medford & some assists from J. Wilford Neville
      So when we did Twilight, we were like ... sacred blood pact made in the woods that we'd do New Moon, and outshine all the other groups that did a Twiriff but were just poseurs or whatever. So when it came close to time for New Moon to get released on video, we made a trailer on YouTube that riffed the New Moon trailer, but with some footage of myself, Kaisha and Ari, and posted the hell out of it, and STILL nobody seems to know this exists.
It doesn't help that it came out during the great drought, when the iriffs server was down for like six months. This was the first release we had that was hosted by QuipTracks before iriffs, at the time solely because we needed a place to release it at the same time as the DVD release. I live tweeted that night as I checked our riff against a copy of the movie I'd grabbed from a Redbox. Twilight was at the time our biggest seller, Lizzie McGuire was burning up the charts, I thought we were on our way to DESTINY!  I think we had maybe nine sales that first day, then like ... nothing? Once it was on iriffs, it got a few more trickles, and that's pretty much it.
It's frustrating on a number of levels. On one hand, I think this is PROBABLY our strongest riff we've ever done. We're firing on all cylinders, Twilight is just ridiculously goofy & works well with what we have to offer, and this is still one of our weakest sellers. And during the making of this ... not to gossip, but there are two people whose friendships I nearly lost, and one whose friendship I DID lose. I think the end product is absolutely worth it, but it's not worth it to repeat that process, hence why we're not going to do another "available upon DVD release" product again in the near future.
Two side notes: It was really fun to direct Chris since the first time I did so, with Voyager's "Parallax," I wasn't very confident as a director and he kind of did things in a way that didn't work overall -- totally my fault, I want to make it clear -- so it was nice to do another project with him & have it showcase how damn funny he really is. Also with this one we pretty much let ourselves get as blue as we wanted, but still nowhere near as blue as Lizzie.

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=15
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ice-mars/ice-mars-twilight-new-moon

Sample: I couldn't find one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2012, 09:07:54 PM »
And that's it for tonight. We're in the teens now (as evidenced by Twilight: New Moon) and much speculation abounds: Who will be first? Who's picks will be left out? What is the infield fly rule?
All questions will be answered in the next few days! (except perhapse that third one)

And I wll get to choosing my DARTH GEEK SEAL OF APPROVALs tomorow.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:02 PM »
It's impossible to speculate with ties, so I've got no friggin' idea what's going to happen.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2012, 09:19:26 PM »
Also, I didn't realize New Moon did so badly. That's a shame, since I laughed through it but couldn't make it through the Rifftrax version.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
#23a
Watchalong - Night of the Lepus
(Total Points: 48    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #2 Artie)

Talk about missed potential.  Watchalong came hot right out of the gate with "Night of the Lepus" but didn't really follow it up.   But still this one is a real gem of a riff, great chemistry among the riffers, rapid fire jokes, and lots of signing (in a good way) and giant rabbits to boot.

I'm really seeing the blind spots in my iRiffs watching, I can see plenty I need to get caught up on.

As for what's yet to come, I have 4 in my top 10 I still expect to make the list.  And I'm pretty amazed how high one of them is climbing.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
One Man Band - Ice Pirates
(Total Points: 43    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #3 D.B. Barnes)

I'm surprised this was only on two lists. This is just a straight-up outstanding riff. This is OMB running full-throttle on all comedy cylinders. This riff quite simply makes me laugh my ass off.

ICE PIRATES REVIEW - The Movie that Hates People’s Heads…Literally!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OneWallCinema - BURN-E
(Total Points: 50    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #5 Anais.whatever)

Stoked to see this place in the top twenty-five. I nominated this for the Most Creative Use of the Medium award. I'd really to know what won if it wasn't BURN-E. This is tons of fun and just really well done. If this doesn't put a smile on your face, well, then I don't know.  :-\

BURN-E – The Riff that Doesn’t Lock You Outside Overnight

TreacheRiffs - Lost In Space
(Total Points: 51    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #12 David)

Definitely had this one on my list; nice to see it made so many. It's well deserved. A very solid outing from these guys. Entertaining throughout. Good lord, this movie...just awful.

Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Frogs
(Total Points: 53    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #12 Artie)

Hor-RIFF-ic is kicking ass! As well they should. Frogs was an easy pick. What an unbelievably bad movie. I especially like this track because it's a departure from the Slasher's bread-and-butter targets.

FROGS REVIEW – …Or Toads, or Gila Monsters…or maybe just gross stuff that lives around swamps!

#17a
OneWallCinema - G.I.Joe: The Movie
(Total Points: 56    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #3 CJones)

Awesome! I was hoping this would place high. Had the privilege to write a bunch of gags for this one and had a blast doing it. What a blast to the sense this thing is. Great riff, not only because it's funny, but because you can tell how much fun they had making it.

G.I. JOE: THE MOVIE REVIEW - RIIIICOBRAAAAA!!!

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »
Just to butt in, the guys here don't worry about joke overlap. We talked about it when we first started doing the iRiffs contests (hopefully we'll do another soon). Given certain things happening in front of your face (in a movie, that is) there are always going to be a finite number of places you can "go" for the joke. Eventually some people will go to the same place.

Wooohooo! Another iRiff contest would be great! I know that Riff Raff Theater is pretty much disbanded, but now there are several active groups that have experience gathering and working with submissions.

So, it sounds like they're considering doing another iRiff contest. DG, are you talking about an active group taking submissions and performing a riff to enter into the iRiff contest? Because it sounds like you're talking about a fan-written RiffTrax ala Batman & Robin.

As for what's yet to come, I have 4 in my top 10 I still expect to make the list.  And I'm pretty amazed how high one of them is climbing.

Climbing, and climbing, and climbing... ;D
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
I re-listened to Batman and Robin for the first time in ages, I was suprised again by how weak the jokes are.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »
Oh this is a fun thread to read.........and to ensure my shopping is complete.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:44 AM »
Can we get a compiled list?
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:47 AM »

Probably at the end.  And hopefully with links intact (best would be to both Darth Geek's write-ups AND to the purchasing pages for each, but that's just wishful thinking on my part ;)).

EDIT: I did this, and it is HERE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:25:01 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2012, 03:58:16 AM »
#23a
Watchalong - Night of the Lepus
(Total Points: 48    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #2 Artie)
About this group: Watchalong is another group I am not very familiar with. So far they have only released two iRiffs, this and Space Camp. Although they have mentioned before about intending to release a riff of The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, and possibly riff Maximum Overdrive, so I don't know if the group is still active or not.
Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/watchalong/watchalong-presents-night-lepus

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKyg-QsWpdM

Last time I talked with Alex they were officially done.  Maximum Overdrive was lost due to several computer crashes and I think an eventual hard drive crash.  TBITPB was scrapped because of the Rifftrax release.  Not sure if it was ever finished or not.

OneWallCinema - BURN-E
(Total Points: 50    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #5 Anais.whatever)
Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/onewallcinema/onewallcinema-burn-e-iriff-sing-along

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/user/k1posterchild?ob=0&feature=results_main

Awww Burn-E.... We were cheering for you little buddy! You'll get 'em next time!  You did great kid! Let's go get some ice cream.

#17a
OneWallCinema - G.I.Joe: The Movie
(Total Points: 56    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #3 CJones)
Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/onewallcinema/onewallcinema-gi-joe-movie-1987

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIeXQTghLI

In celebration of G.I. Joe showing up on here, here's a Burn-E inspired Music video for part of our G.I. Joe riff.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tRO5sfldoH4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tRO5sfldoH4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2012, 04:06:22 AM »
Sadly, that song was better written than the actual movie real script.

I hope the makers of that movie notice this.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:27 AM »

Probably at the end.  And hopefully with links intact (best would be to both Darth Geek's write-ups AND to the purchasing pages for each, but that's just wishful thinking on my part ;)).
Yes, I plan on doing a compiled list at the end. I wasn't planning on including the writeups, but they seem to be popular, so if you want, I can.