Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99410 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
How in the world did I miss that there was already an Equilibrium riff?  I've needed a excuse to watch that...this just might be the push I needed.

And more Scott Zee to begin adding to the pile.  I already have the Scrooge one and Spooks Go Wild, but I think I may need to start completing the whole set.

For a second, I thought you were going to say you had started a script for it. Did you ever release Dragonball?

Not yet.  I've still to watch the Quiptracks version so I can rewrite anything that overlaps (and something tells me I'll also end up picking up the Team FourStar riff as well to do the same thing).  I very seriously doubt it'll be the case that the jokes will be all that similar, though...I'm actually not a DBZ fan, and one of the reasons I had picked to do that one was to do the track with a friend of mine who is.  Sadly, I'm not on speaking terms with him anymore, and I think there were a few jokes that were back-and-forth based that'll have to be redone, but I do still plan on releasing that eventually...a few other things have cropped up in the meantime that have my attention at the moment (see the iRiffs thread for the latest debacle, I won't depress anybody with it here, though it's not really THAT depressing).

Anyway, back in topic, a quick thought...where ARE those arms attached to on the Seal of Approval?  ;)
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 458
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2012, 02:46:52 PM »
How in the world did I miss that there was already an Equilibrium riff?  I've needed a excuse to watch that...this just might be the push I needed.

And more Scott Zee to begin adding to the pile.  I already have the Scrooge one and Spooks Go Wild, but I think I may need to start completing the whole set.

For a second, I thought you were going to say you had started a script for it. Did you ever release Dragonball?

Not yet.  I've still to watch the Quiptracks version so I can rewrite anything that overlaps (and something tells me I'll also end up picking up the Team FourStar riff as well to do the same thing).  I very seriously doubt it'll be the case that the jokes will be all that similar, though...I'm actually not a DBZ fan, and one of the reasons I had picked to do that one was to do the track with a friend of mine who is.  Sadly, I'm not on speaking terms with him anymore, and I think there were a few jokes that were back-and-forth based that'll have to be redone, but I do still plan on releasing that eventually...a few other things have cropped up in the meantime that have my attention at the moment (see the iRiffs thread for the latest debacle, I won't depress anybody with it here, though it's not really THAT depressing).

Anyway, back in topic, a quick thought...where ARE those arms attached to on the Seal of Approval?  ;)

This is only my two cents, but just record that shit. Joke overlap isn't that big a deal. I could see watching the other versions at the end of the process to make sure there isn't a LOT of overlap, but don't let it hold up the process.

I guess the upside of dragging it out, though, is that you've made such a big deal out of it that I will have to buy it as soon as it comes out now.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2012, 04:58:24 PM »
Stickied!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »

This is only my two cents, but just record that shit. Joke overlap isn't that big a deal. I could see watching the other versions at the end of the process to make sure there isn't a LOT of overlap, but don't let it hold up the process.

I guess the upside of dragging it out, though, is that you've made such a big deal out of it that I will have to buy it as soon as it comes out now.

Just to butt in, the guys here don't worry about joke overlap. We talked about it when we first started doing the iRiffs contests (hopefully we'll do another soon). Given certain things happening in front of your face (in a movie, that is) there are always going to be a finite number of places you can "go" for the joke. Eventually some people will go to the same place.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »

Just to butt in, the guys here don't worry about joke overlap. We talked about it when we first started doing the iRiffs contests (hopefully we'll do another soon). Given certain things happening in front of your face (in a movie, that is) there are always going to be a finite number of places you can "go" for the joke. Eventually some people will go to the same place.
Wooohooo! Another iRiff contest would be great! I know that Riff Raff Theater is pretty much disbanded, but now there are several active groups that have experience gathering and working with submissions.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
Okay, I fillled in the details for 38B, The Talking Car by Incognito Cinema Warriors XP.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »
#23a
Watchalong - Night of the Lepus
(Total Points: 48    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #2 Artie)

Bones beams down to a planet that resembles the Old West of Earth, where he has to fight giant bunny rabbits. Best! Episode! Ever!

This movie is most known for: DeForest Kelly's quote for the VHS box art "Still more dignified that Star Trek 5".
          Critics panned the film for not being able to make real adorable bunny rabbits on miniature sets scary.
          The movie originally featured Daffy Duck in his most excited and happy role ever. But due to the brutality of his rabbit murdering spree, his scenes were cut.

About this group: Watchalong is another group I am not very familiar with. So far they have only released two iRiffs, this and Space Camp. Although they have mentioned before about intending to release a riff of The Boy in the Plastic Bubble, and possibly riff Maximum Overdrive, so I don't know if the group is still active or not.

Noted riffs:
I don't know any. Please post some and I will add them here.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/watchalong/watchalong-presents-night-lepus

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKyg-QsWpdM

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
#23b
Quiptracks - Signs
(Total Points: 48    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #5 Agent_Ispep)

After getting their asses handed to them trying to invade Melmac, aliens from...whatever Gollum's home planet was...invade Earth. Fortuantely, Earth's first line of defense snaps into action! Some little girl who likes to waste water.
It's a rip roaring adventure, as written by a high school emo kid high on tranquilizers, to save the planet covered in water from the water soluble aliens.

This movie is most known for: Mel Gibson trying, and failing, to go crazy.
       Macaulay Culkin's less tallented brother giving the best performance of the movie.

Noted riffs:
(Why can't the nerds get girlfriends?) --- "Because they never put the high rolls on Charisma. Geeks FTW!"
"My poor insane son."
All of the riffs about the aliens laughing at Mel for his "I am insane with anger" rant.

About this riff:
Riffers: Tristan, Tracy, Cody
      Signs has had it coming for almost ten years. It's pretty amazing that it took that long for a riff to come out (Rifftrax for some reason chose to tackle the only really good M. Night movie instead). We ripped through it, though, making up for lost time. I think this was our fastest turnaround for a full-length track, coming out less than two months after the embarrassingly late Equilibrium. We were in a good rhythm, for one thing, but also the movie is just riffing gold.

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=37&zenid=513881cc1dd5cead50918a134db83acb

Sample: I couldn't find one.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:38:05 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:00 PM »
OneWallCinema - BURN-E
(Total Points: 50    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #5 Anais.whatever)

The worst day in a long line of drudgery for a lowly welder robot on the ship Axiom. Told entirely without dialog. Apparently in space, no one can hear you swear like a sailer. Fortunately, the ship lands on Earth before BURN-E is about to go on a Falling Down style rampage.

This movie is most known for: Causing the brief welder robot uprising of 2008. Fortunately it was cut short by the swift, brutal action of cleaner droid M-O. You do not fuck with M-O!

Noted riffs: Not applicable.

About this riff:
Release: December 13, 2009
Riffers: Kevin & Kyle
Writers: Kevin & Kyle
Musicians: Kevin & Kyle

Ah, the first and ONLY riff done entirely in music!

While we were fairly happy with our riff of Enter The Lone Ranger, we began wondering how we could possibly take things up a notch to create something that really stood out among the other iRiffs.  We had been working on some new songs for our band when it hit us.  Why not combine things and perform a riff entirely in song? Obviously this was a very risky move since it was so different from what everyone else was doing.  Doing original music would have been easy, but if people didn't like our songs then it wouldn't bode well for our riff.  As fans of Weird Al we felt that doing a medley of song parodies would be both challenging as well as amusing. Not only that, it could essentially turn our riff into a Sing-Along provided people were familiar with the basic structures of the songs we did. 

Having just watched the riff of Wall-E by Insert Coin(s) we were inspired to do a companion piece for the Burn-E short that appeared on the DVD. It was perfect. Not too long, and hardly any dialogue.  Next we began the painstaking process of picking songs that "fit" what was happening on the screen as well as being fairly well known.  Mike (from Team Swizzlebeef) joked that we should do the entire thing as a parody of Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick".  Little did he know we already had that song as part of our medley!  Just for good measure and wanting to go out on a big finale we whipped up the "Bonus Track" song which caps off the riff rather nicely.

Again knowing this riff was rather "out there" we decided to do as much as we could to help make things more enjoyable.  We put together subtitle files, convinced Piobman to put together a DVD cover complete with an insert that contained the lyrics to all the songs so people could sing along!

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/onewallcinema/onewallcinema-burn-e-iriff-sing-along

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/user/k1posterchild?ob=0&feature=results_main

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:38:24 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
TreacheRiffs - Lost In Space
(Total Points: 51    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #12 David)

The life story of a savagely stupid boy "genius" who gets fooled by a villain that actually tells him he's a villain. It also has a Chippette in human form as his sister, a drugged and clearly very confused William Hurt as his father, and Matt LeBlanc showing that acting is not his Friend. Surprisingly, with Joey at the controls, they get lost. I know, I never saw it coming either.

This movie is most known for: The "I love you wife" Hallmark cards that nearly bankrupted the company and got buried next to those old Atari E.T. cartridges.
       Embarrasing Gary Oldman, the villain in Fifth Element. Seriously, they both came out in 1998. That was not a good year for him. Yikes.

Noted riffs:
"I am Gary Old-man, going through a tube"

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=20
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/treacheriffs/treacheriffs-lost-space-1998?quicktabs_product-quicktabs=content

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0fizidJaM&feature=player_embedded

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:39:42 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

Just to butt in, the guys here don't worry about joke overlap. We talked about it when we first started doing the iRiffs contests (hopefully we'll do another soon).

YAY!

A chance to correct the mistake you made the first time! :-D
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »
THAT MOVIE RVR KEPT RIFFING:

Ronin Fox Trax - Dune
(Total Points: 52    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #11 CJones)

The spice must flow! As must the cocaine, eyebrow wax and butt patch filtered urine. This movie features a war between two factions: the special effects department, and the audience's tolerance for bizarre shit. Sure the sandworms are cool, but the lack of Beetlejuice is inexcusable.

This movie is most known for: Sting in blue plastic thong. Vagina faced tequila worms. The notion of killing words, like "Muad'Dib" and "Beiber" and "Twilight".

Noted riffs:
"It's an army of M. Bisons. OF COURSE! two three four..."

About this riff: A word from Ronin: bed. *sigh* A BETTER word from Ronin: boobs. Goddamnit!
Release Date:  August 10, 2010
Riffers:  Ronin Fox and Vamperica
Writers:  James Cruise and RVR II
    This was a unique choice for Ronin Fox Trax for several reasons, the first being it was the first movie I agreed to riff without ever seeing the entire thing.  This movie had defeated me into unconsciousness several times before.  The driving force behind this riff was, unsurprisingly to forum members active at the time, RVR II, who had already written a script for it and contacted me to see if I'd be interested in using it.  Adding my own material and taking on one of the most monumental editing tasks I've ever seen (really, editing six scripts for Masters of the Universe couldn't compete with editing two for this friggin movie) Vamperica and I did verbal battle with perhaps the weirdest movie we've riffed yet.  No matter how strange a movie gets, its hard to compete with pointless cat-milking.

This riff marked the in-riff debut of "Nigel" the sync-fox.  The little fox-puppet had already appeared on most of our posters, but since I had moved out of the old townhouse and my roommate Jen could no longer provide the voice of Shadow, he got a promotion to the microphone. 

(For the curious, his voice came directly from riffing this movie, as I had to constantly imitate Patrick Stewart's character.  Knowing I wanted a British feel for Nigel I started using that impression for Nigel, pitching the voice up in post production...and now the magic is gone, I'm sure.)

Best part of this recording was when a few lines were falling flat during the scene when the Baron pointlessly kills one of his underlings by yanking out his superfluous heart drain plug.  Vamperica, determined to solve the problem, took two takes to improvise a parody of Singin' in the Rain that ended up fitting the action of the scene perfectly.  Really, two takes, a couple minutes of work, and I didn't have to edit it or shift the timing at all.  It was scary and awesome all at once.

And now, a word from the one, the only RVRII:
       Basically, this started out waaay back in the day when Rifftrax had just come into fruition and I originally sent a PM to Mike on MySpace and he replied that he'd look into it.. Never got a follow up response from him.

Then I join the forum 8-9 months later and literally from Day 1 have been requesting this riff of Dune! This includes asking Bill and Kevin during a time when they would take questions on the RiffTrax Blog and Both had acknowledged they would like to do  a riff of Dune but again nothing ever came of it..

Then came the Fan Riffing thread where BTA and I had partnered to bring in other forum member volunteers to help write up a riff for Dune and it had some life for a time but again never became a reality..

So I took it upon myself that the only way this will come about is if I write a script then float it around to a couple iRiffers I had in mind because I liked their style and RoninFox accepted the challenge. He asked if he could re-write some parts and I agreed as it helps to have some additional input for funny lines that a single writer could miss while creating the script and the result was a very funny riff of a classic 80's cheese-fest of a movie!

So, since it seems the RiffTrax trio (M, K, & B) will probably never riff this movie, I am very satisfied to hear my own creation on a trac of it's own 8)

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ronin-fox-trax/ronin-fox-trax-dune

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMDj73Kt_m8

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:34:16 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Frogs
(Total Points: 53    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #12 Artie)

This movie shows frogs to be what they really are: the masterminds. Behind the scenes master manipulators, getting other animals to do their dirty work. Oh, you thought Hypnotoad was just a funny joke on Futurama, but nooo. Here we see frogs clearly ordering other snakes, crocodiles, lizards, spiders and others to kill. Never getting their...uh...flippers wet. Well, wet with blood I mean. Bet you never look at Kermit the same way again. Fortunately in this movie the only humans being harmed are a well-to-do southern family of argumentative unlikable assholes. Led by a grouchy old man who is possibly more cold blooded than the reptiles. Visiting this family is Sam Elliot. He would be likable, except he is wearing jeans so tight we can tell what religion he is.

This movie is most known for: Being shown in science classes before "frog dissection day" so that the kids don't feel so guilty.

Noted riff:
The riffs about Three editors.
Kermit’s Rainbow Connection song
Frogs apologize to the audience.
"Think fast kids!"
"Enjoy the view, boys! Ugh!"

About this riff: Gary has had time to cool off, and I have had time to get medical attention. So Gary, how was it making a riff of Frogs:
Man, this was a great track, but a horrible idea at the same time.  I had wanted to do more monster movies and so looking at candidates we stumbled across this gem with no monsters in it, just clumsy wealthy southern gentiles.  Eco horror here we come!

Sam Elliot was a delight to riff, but can’t compare to the drunk crotchety old man jokes.  I relaxed every time he was on the screen knowing I’d be able to come up with something.  On the other hand every other scene is a cutaway to bored looking frogs or sleeping reptiles.  This required us to completely riff from scratch with nothing really to go on other than them being there.

Funny story, I had the swine flu when we made this one and my voice was completely gone by the end with so many different voices I had to make!

Available on Netflix Instant? Yes

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/hor-riff-ic-productions/hor-riff-ic-frogs

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17kFnmKyYS8

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »
Quiptracks - Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
(Total Points: 54    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #2 Agent_Ispep, David)

The only time this sentance has ever been uttered: "Boy, I sure miss Jean Claude Van Damme!" Also, this movie features the scientifically cloned combination of Nicholas Cage and Keanu Reeves, CHARLIE NASH! Much fighting ensues. Most of it about which character, Cobra Commander or Wolverine, is insulted more by Vega dying like a bitch.

This movie is most known for: Increasing sales of peaches tenfold. Charlie Nash. Charlie Nash! Charlie fucking NASH! Somehow embarrasing the star of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Killing off Taboo from the Black Eyed Peas.

Noted riffs:
"That was kinky. Now dinner."
"When life gives you trouble, just flip the bird."
"Just to confuse you further, here's a guy in an M. Bison costume."
"His voice coach was Microsoft Sam."
"The Territorial Goose. Honk honk honk honk honk."
"They found out I'm a brony."
"I thought you ran away with the dish."

About this riff:
     This is the most recent QuipTrack, and the first to be recorded in our new apartment in Colorado Springs. We originally wanted to bring Matt back for this one, especially since it seems like a counterpart to Dragonball Evolution. And just as DBE made us want Randall Duk Kim to be in everything, this movie made us want Charlie Nash to be in everything. He's such an over-the-top actor, who clearly only read the script once, and who uses random inflection and motivation not only for each line, but switching between them in a single line. It's amazing to watch. Also, as far as forward referencing, this track splits the timeline. Or I guess the Jurassic Park redux splits it. At any rate, Chun-Li isn't referenced in Signs. My wish is that one day QuipTracks fanboys will come up with elaborate theories to explain the discrepancy in the canon.

And a note from Cody:
This movie... made me appreciate every other movie I’ve worked on. It also left me with a lingering desire for more Nash. And beaten Black Eyed Peas. There needs to be more of that in the world. I feel sorry for Neal McDonough and Michael Clark Duncan, though. They didn’t deserve that, especially McDonough. Those “sayings” they forced on him were terrible.

Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=42

Sample: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp9ze3_the-legend-of-chun-li-lampooned-by-quiptracks-trailer_fun
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:21:30 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:22 PM »
#17a
OneWallCinema - G.I.Joe: The Movie
(Total Points: 56    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #3 CJones)

A marketing tool for the Army, which makes it's funding through toy sales apparently. And what sells toys better than snake men in goofy costumes, and psychotic men in camoflage? Well, cool giant robots, for one...but anyway, we follow our heroes trainees as they are initiated into the elite fighting unit G.I.Joe to fight COBRA. A terrorist organisation entirely snake themed, just to piss of Indiana Jones. Lasers are fired, both blue and red. Nobody dies. Aliens are discovered, they release spores. Just like real war. It's educationaLA-LA-LA-LA-LA!

This movie is most known for: Increasing the enlistment of mongooses in the U.S. Army. The origin of "whacking day". Briefly making "Slaughter" a top baby name.

Noted riffs:
"THEY SET, THE SNOW, ON FIRE!"
"Keep splicing! We need a tomato that tastes like a cornish game hen!"
Hey, is that a laser gun?
"RIIIICOBRAAAAA!!!"

About this riff:
Riffers: Kevin & Kyle with special guest riffer Matt Nelson (Dark Matter Productions)
Guest Appearances: Jonathan (Tom & Jon), Mike (Team Swizzlebeef), and Josh Way (all things Josh Way)
Guest writers: Monica Marier, SJP, DB Barnes, Erin & Gary (Hor-RIFF-ic Productions), RoninFox

This riff was originally going to be our first one.  We are huge fans of the old G.I. Joe cartoons and the movie was just a perfect target for riffing.  However almost immediately after we made that decision the Rhino version of the DVD was pulled from stores and discontinued.  Knowing that there was a live action movie in the works we kept track of things hoping for an eventual re-release.  Sure enough Shout Factory saved the day and re-released it on DVD & Blu Ray! 

The whole guest bits came about when Kyle wasn't sure if he would have time to be involved in this riff.  I came up with the idea based on a joke about how you never see anyone die in the G.I. Joe cartoon, and then we would "kill him off" at the beginning of the riff.  I began contacting a few other riffers to see if they would like to join in on this riff to fill his spot.  After some other things came up causing delays in this riff being finished he was able to be part of the riff.  With Kyle back on board the whole bit wasn't going to work, so instead I had the people I asked to co-riff join in on the bit and add another level to the joke.  (The joke being the bit was just a commercial for other iRiff groups within our riff.)  Having Josh Way in the bit really tied everything together.

With 6 people on it, this might be the riff with the highest number of riffers to appear. 

Originally we hoped to have our riff come out the same day that the Blu Ray came out, but due to some last minute fine tuning we opted for a release of the 4th of July.  People everywhere across the United States celebrated the release of this riff by shooting off fireworks, having parties, and forgetting to rate and comment on this riff.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/onewallcinema/onewallcinema-gi-joe-movie-1987

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIeXQTghLI