login

Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 99388 times)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2012, 11:56:09 AM »
I'm stoked my Ice on Mars pick is gonna be in the top thirty. When I picked it, I wondered if it had a chance to make the list. I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of it.

I think I know which one you are referring to, as - just from my vote alone - one of theirs would have already shown up, if someone else didn't vote for it.  :)  [Same with a couple of my QuipTracks selections.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2012, 12:57:40 PM »
This has been a blast for me to read too, it's been a great motivator to get through the grunt work of the new riff.  Getting much closer now.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2012, 12:58:25 PM »
Hor-Riff-ic Productions - The Stuff
(Total Points: 35    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #7 Artie)

Didn't make the final cut, but once again, a quality track from Team Hor-RIFF-ic. Good stuff, indeed.

#34a
Turkey Shoot - Alcohol is Dynamite
(Total Points: 36    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #2 Invader Quirk)

Sadly, I haven't gotten around to much Scott Z, but I'll rectify that eventually. I'm fairly confident my Turkey Shoot pick is still coming.

Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Halloween III
(Total Points: 37    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #3 Artie)

While I don't think this is hands-down their best work, it's pretty fucking fantastic. They take an amazingly-bad movie and turn it into a really fun experience.

HALLOWEEN III REVIEW – Jason Couldn’t Be Here Tonight…I’m Glenn.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

#31a
One Man Band - Mortal Kombat
(Total Points: 39    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #3 Agent_Ispep)

This wasn't my favorite OMB, although I enjoyed it and it's a lot better than most of the stuff out there. I know, not exactly a ringing endorsement, but this one just didn't click for me the way other OMB tracks did. Still, pretty good quality riffing and worth checking out.

#30a
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
(Total Points: 40    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #2 @ScottOTD)

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART 2 REVIEW – Somebody get this movie a towel!

Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Gremlins
(Total Points: 41    Number of Lists: 3  Highest Ranking: #9 D.B. Barnes)

I love this riff. I've seen it three times and it always delivers the laughs, even when you know what's coming.

Even though I wrote this review what seems like ages ago, it's never been published, because, wait for it...YOU STILL CAN'T COMMENT ON THE PRODUCT PAGE!!!

GREMLINS REVIEW – DUN…DUN…AWWWWWW!!!

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
On the notable "Planet of the Apes" riffs (boy, I hope that was on my list... I love that one) I'd have to say the entire evolution fight sequence. I can't quote the whole thing, it's too long, but it almost had me breathless with laughter.

I had to transcribe this because it's one of the greatest moments in all of riffing:

Quote from: FilmQuips
And if you are just joining us this is the knockdown drag-out grudge match for the evolution of the species for the Charles Darwin Championship... Australopithecus Robustus taking on Java Man... Oh! And Java Man is down.

These Australopithecines showing no signs of slowing down. Australopithecus Africanus entering the fray. Wasting no time. Bang! He pounds Homo Habilis into extinction.

Other species evolving, coming out of the trees. Really doling out the punishment here, especially now that they've mastered that bipedal stride. Here we see Piltdown Man, trying to make a run for it before someone discovers he's a hoax. Homo Erectus now toe-to-toe with Neanderthal Man who's taking no prisoners. He's got him in the power lock. And giving him the spinal cracker! Homo Erectus no longer erect.

Megazostrodon, the tiny shrew-like mammal trying to compete but he's just no match for these big hominids who'll no doubt make short work of this tiny quadraped.

Another Neanderthal Man pummeling Sahelanthropus Tchadensis putting those stone tools to good use.

Now here's the real star of the hour, Lucy, an Australopithecus Afarensis watching a Cromagnon female not doing well. Lucy rushing in followed by the Cromagnon male. Cromagnon Man attempting to extricate his mate but he's caught between two early primates... and there's the slammer jammer and he is down! Lucy now executing a double sole toe and launching into a simian spring dismount coming to the aid of the Cromagnon female.

Now imagine all of that during the big fight scene at the end of the movie.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 01:14:42 PM by David »

Offline Hor-RIFF-ic Productions

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
  • Blah blah BLAHHHH!!!!
    • Hor-RIFF-ic Productions
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:33 PM »
Well ask and you shall receive D.B.  We're extremely flattered and honored to be on this list at all.  I know we've sort of fallen off the map this year but we're prepping for a comeback and seeing reviews where people are actually enjoying our riffs are a real motivation.

You guys also deserve to be well represented here. I've enjoyed your riffs from the very beginning and I know I speak for a lot of other folks when I say I'm really looking forward to your return. It's been far too long. And, thanks for giving a handful of us the opportunity to write for you guys. You don't always give us the easiest targets, but it always ends up being well worth it.

Phantasm is next if anyone wants to get an early jump.  It will be painful!  >:D
You'll DIE Laughing!

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
I think this is my favorite LoC to date (since I started participating last August). Really great write ups, and a very interesting selection of riffs.

Looks like I need to try out a lot more of Horr-RIFF-fic Productions. As a general rule, I despise slasher movies, since I can't stand to see girls being hurt (even though I do have one on my list, which hasn't shown up yet, but I'm sure will.) But it looks like they're pretty highly recommended. 

Invader_quirk

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
Looks like I need to try out a lot more of Horr-RIFF-fic Productions. As a general rule, I despise slasher movies, since I can't stand to see girls being hurt (even though I do have one on my list, which hasn't shown up yet, but I'm sure will.) But it looks like they're pretty highly recommended. 

Same here. I wish they'd do non-horror movies because I don't watch horror movies. I did watch Frogs and The Stuff. I liked Frogs quite a bit. I didn't enjoy The Stuff very much because the movie was meant to be tongue-in-cheek so I didn't think a lot of the riffs worked. I did love the line "I'd like to buy your car and make you the driver" though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:42:11 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5900
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
Quote from: FilmQuips
And if you are just joining us this is the knockdown drag-out grudge match for the evolution of the species for the Charles Darwin Championship... Australopithecus Robustus taking on Java Man... Oh! And Java Man is down.

These Australopithecines showing no signs of slowing down. Australopithecus Africanus entering the fray. Wasting no time. Bang! He pounds Homo Habilis into extinction.

Other species evolving, coming out of the trees. Really doling out the punishment here, especially now that they've mastered that bipedal stride. Here we see Piltdown Man, trying to make a run for it before someone discovers he's a hoax. Homo Erectus now toe-to-toe with Neanderthal Man who's taking no prisoners. He's got him in the power lock. And giving him the spinal cracker! Homo Erectus no longer erect.

Megazostrodon, the tiny shrew-like mammal trying to compete but he's just no match for these big hominids who'll no doubt make short work of this tiny quadraped.

Another Neanderthal Man pummeling Sahelanthropus Tchadensis putting those stone tools to good use.

Now here's the real star of the hour, Lucy, an Australopithecus Afarensis watching a Cromagnon female not doing well. Lucy rushing in followed by the Cromagnon male. Cromagnon Man attempting to extricate his mate but he's caught between two early primates... and there's the slammer jammer and he is down! Lucy now executing a double sole toe and launching into a simian spring dismount coming to the aid of the Cromagnon female.

Now imagine all of that during the big fight scene at the end of the movie.
:clap: :clap: :clap: That was awesome!

Online CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 746
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
Some quotes from the first half of The Forgotten, by QuipTracks. I'd do the second half but I'm falling asleep (not due to the riff mind you). Maybe tomorrow.

"Hello, I'm still not swinging. They told me this park was full of pushers."
I forget all the time. "Except for that one thing.. no wait, that too."
I miss Lauren too. "Lauren three can go to hell."
While looking at the blank photo album: "All my pictures of an unlit coalmine gone... perhaps.", "Jim Gaffigan in a snow strorm!"
"I was dumb enough to try and hold up a library, and now I can't even find my gun."
"Being intoxicated, as I clearly am, this made me weary. Good 'morrow!"
"I'm terribley sorry about all this, I'm just so just so drunk is all, being a drunkard and what have you... yes quite."
"You're not drunk. You've never been drunk."

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
I compensate for others on this list by trying to only watch horror whenever possible
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #130 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
I'm stoked my Ice on Mars pick is gonna be in the top thirty. When I picked it, I wondered if it had a chance to make the list. I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognizes the greatness of it.

I think I know which one you are referring to, as - just from my vote alone - one of theirs would have already shown up, if someone else didn't vote for it.  :)  [Same with a couple of my QuipTracks selections.]

If you two are talking about the same one I voted for that would have already been on the list had no one else voted for it - then it could place highly.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4662
« Reply #131 on: March 06, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »

If you two are talking about the same one I voted for that would have already been on the list had no one else voted for it - then it could place highly.

Dare we hope it's in the top 5?  ;D
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline zenmichael

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
    • Holy Nightmare Productions
« Reply #132 on: March 06, 2012, 07:19:49 PM »

Dare we hope it's in the top 5?  ;D

Hahaha. I find it highly amusing reading all the speculation on this. Darth Geek/Ryan was kind enough to ask those of us who made the list for feedback on the tracks that did make it, so I already know which ones of ours are going to be on the list, though not in which order. I totally want to be like, 'THIS WILL BE ON THE LIST AT SOME POINT!' Or, 'BUT THIS WILL NOT!' But I think that would ruin the fun, SO I'll stay mum. But thank you guys for the support! Big hugs!
Michael T Bradley
Ice on Mars

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #133 on: March 06, 2012, 08:52:51 PM »
Due to a minor error in the numbers, #34a Alcohol Is Dynamite by Turkey Shoot had more points. SO I have removed it and will post it when it comes up in the list. Also, the Incognito Cinema Warrior XP riff of The Talking Car had more points, and tied at 38 with Back to the Future by Cinester Theater, So I added it in the same post. I will fill in the details for The Talking Car tomorow when I have more time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:55:36 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #134 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:59 PM »
#28a
Turkey Shoot - Scrooge
(Total Points: 42    Number of Lists: 4  Highest Ranking: #3 Darth Geek)

An innocent senile old man is badgered by everyone around him to conform, to the point where he halucinates about ghosts and goes insane.

This movie is most known for: Even considering how bad an adaptation it is, it still gets me in the Christmas mood.
      Still being a better movie than An American Carol.

Noted riffs:
(Merry Christmas!) --- “WHAT? Ah... nevermind. Man overboard.”
"Oh I look sh...spiffy!"
"What? You only have one line you little bastard!"

About the riff: Scott Zee here, reporting at the scene of the crime:
   With this adaptation to the Christmas Carol story, I was able to compare the masterful performance of Alastair Sim (him being a 40-ish man playing 70-ish) with the Parkinson's-driven
portrayal done by Seymour Hicks (a 70-ish man playing someone's fattened 3000 year-old mummified remains). Tragically he is cast as the titled old miser in this 1935 production of the classic Xmas
tale, and, lo and behold, I found this version to be quite economical as I wrote about my lil' quips. No Fezziwig, no sister Fenn, zero dollars in the special-effects budget, and a flurry of mumbled, hurried dialogue from our dear, lead thespian Seymour. It was so economical, in fact,  it reminded me of a dollar-store pack of wetnaps I bought for the car early last spring that I used to mop up some cherry cola from the cup-holder that was immediately tossed from my driver's-side window, and was barely remembered until this moment just now.

Available on Netflix Instant? Unnecessary, it is a VOD.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/scrooge-theturkey-shoot-scott-zee
http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=31

Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q409NzdLWQ0&list=UUVLouZlgwjqZxf_5Kca8nkw&index=7&feature=plcp

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:36:41 PM by Darth Geek »