Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 98708 times)

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 109
  • Mr.B you're hot!
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
I just want to mention the names of the top two iRiff creators other than ICWXP that I have been enjoying the hell out of lately:

1. Just Andrew.  He seems now to be completely inactive, having mentioned at one point on a page here that he had a new baby in the family - which will do that sort of thing.  Those iRiffs he's done, particularly War of the Robots and Warning From Space, were great. I bought his entire catalogue...primarily because Andrew [size=78%]carries things off on his own pretty well.  This is not easy in iRiffs, as a rule, for me to enjoy.

2. Atomic Treatment. This is sometimes just Brian Sample, sometimes him being joined by Mr. B Natural.  I like the duo pieces better, particularly Sons of Hercules Vs. The Mole Men, but Sample can do a one-man job, too...although not with Andrew's attitude and humor.  I like the way the later pieces are interspersed with "commercial breaks" showing ancient TV ads, also riffed.  AT does appear to still be active, which is nice.  [/size]

Thanks!  Just to clarify Bryan Sample is "Mr.B.Natural" and Mr.B.Natural is me.  Atomic Treatment goes by Pezdrake here on the forum but during our joint riffs he introduces himself as Mandrake.  We each have our own brands which include separate joint riffs as well as solo riffs.  Our Sons of Hercules Vs. The Mole Men joint riff was sold under my brand while our joint riff for Hercules at the Center of the Earth is sold under his brand.  We do it this way so we each make money and so our separate brands remain alive.

If the movie has commercials, begins with the Atomic Treatment's theme music video, and do not contain introductions then they were produced by Atomic Treatment and sold under his brand.  If the movie has an introduction and no commercials then it is one that I produced and sold under my brand.

And yes, we are both still active.  In fact we are more than halfway done with our latest VOD for Zontar: The Thing From Venus.

Do you have any favorite solo riffs or ours?  My riff of Them! (my only non-VOD) is particularly good while Atomic Treatment has some great short films including "To Enrich Mankind."

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 126
  • Psychedelic Cat Furniture
    • Choronzon
« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »

Do you have any favorite solo riffs or ours?  My riff of Them! (my only non-VOD) is particularly good while Atomic Treatment has some great short films including "To Enrich Mankind."

I hadda think this one over for a few days...but I'd hafta say: it's a tie between Them! and War of the Planets (aka "{Moving} Pictures of Matchstick Men".)  ;D ;D ;D

Even though I had to sync the former myself, which I pointed out in another thread is usually a deal-breaker for me, I bought it, which I hardly ever do. Definitely was worth both the money and the trouble!

Interesting note about War of the Planets...One of my favourite Just Andrew riffjobs was done on a film called War of the Robots - and I'd bet all of the contents of my stashbox (which hasn't been as empty as it once was these days, happily) that this film and War of the Planets were made by the same people.  (I'll have to go check the credits.)  There was just so much in common with it stylistically, plus at the very beginning of both films, I could swear the same wooden building exterior shows up.  The music is almost exactly the same.  The plots were both convoluted, unfigureoutable and lame - in short, perfect riff fodder.  The irony: though robots - androids, to be specific - appear in War of the Robots, it seemed to me that the title War of the Planets seems to fit THAT film much more than the one named War of the Robots, and verse vice-a. 

Thanks for straightening out the whole business with your name vis-a-vis Atomic Treatment, and correcting my spelling of "Bryan Sample". 

Ooooo, Zontar! I'm definitely looking forward to that one: another childhood "watch whenever the reruns were on" movie.  And you're doing this with Atomic Treatment? If you drop me a PM when it's done, I'll buy it in a New York nanosecond.  :D
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5707
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2012, 12:29:39 PM »
New York nanosecond.  :D
That's the same thing as a fathom, right?

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to get around to watching the riff of Them! for ages. Sadly, it's the various other "Them" titles that are on Netflix Instant and not this one. But I bumped it up a little in the rotation. The downside to having a netflix que of like 80 movies.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to get around to watching the riff of Them! for ages. Sadly, it's the various other "Them" titles that are on Netflix Instant and not this one. But I bumped it up a little in the rotation. The downside to having a netflix que of like 80 movies.

For anything I can't find (and sometimes, things I could, but just can't imagine paying for) I use more underground methods.  I hit the mark immediately for Them!.
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4641
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2012, 03:06:42 PM »
For 'Them!' I managed to get the film off of Turner Classic Movies (i.e. 'legally free' as I have DVRs that record to DVD) RIGHT after I'd first heard about the 'Them!' iRiff (literally: it was on TCM within three days of hearing about the riffing!) so it worked out perfectly for me. :)

For older films, and even some younger ones, keep an eye out on TCM.  I go to their website listing for the month [HERE (link goes to each new month as the month starts)] ...I go to their website as close to the beginning of every month as I can remember to, and make note of what to set the DVR/DVD-recorder to record for the month.
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #335 on: October 29, 2012, 11:04:51 PM »
Ooooo, Zontar! I'm definitely looking forward to that one: another childhood "watch whenever the reruns were on" movie.  And you're doing this with Atomic Treatment? If you drop me a PM when it's done, I'll buy it in a New York nanosecond.  :D

Yes, it is one of our joint riffs and I will PM you when it is ready.  Probably still a few weeks away.  In the meantime Atomic Treatment is selling our latest joint effort for "Superargo and the Faceless Giants."  It's good fun.

Thanks for the feedback.  It is very much appreciated.   

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #336 on: November 15, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #337 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Zontar is ready and available for purchase!

http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/mrbnatural-and-atomic-treatment-present-zontar-thing-from-venus

It's awesome.  As to be expected from your material.  There were many, many laugh-out-loud moments. 

Did you notice Zontar is a remake of MST3K'd badfilm (third-season, if I recall) classic It Conquered the World? I watched Zontar as a child but somehow never made the connection when I saw the other.  But now that I'm so familiar with MST3K episodes I realised it's like the same movie with different actors, in colour...sometimes, even the lines are the same.

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #338 on: November 17, 2012, 09:55:43 AM »

Yes, it is one of our joint riffs and I will PM you when it is ready.  Probably still a few weeks away.  In the meantime Atomic Treatment is selling our latest joint effort for "Superargo and the Faceless Giants."  It's good fun.

Thanks for the feedback.  It is very much appreciated.   

I got Superargo when it first came out.  I think it's a big laugh that the cinemas are full of a movie called Argo these days.  WTF does "Argo" mean anyway? It seems like the base word for the word "argosy" which, if I recall correctly, means either "adventure" or "something carried by a ship".  I have to go look this up now...

Offline mr.b.natural

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Mr.B you're hot!
« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
Zontar is ready and available for purchase!

http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/mrbnatural-and-atomic-treatment-present-zontar-thing-from-venus

It's awesome.  As to be expected from your material.  There were many, many laugh-out-loud moments. 

Did you notice Zontar is a remake of MST3K'd badfilm (third-season, if I recall) classic It Conquered the World? I watched Zontar as a child but somehow never made the connection when I saw the other.  But now that I'm so familiar with MST3K episodes I realised it's like the same movie with different actors, in colour...sometimes, even the lines are the same.

Thanks!  I'm glad you liked it.  iRiffs are a lot of work so it is nice to get a little feedback every now and then.  And yes, we did notice that.  That is why we make so many Peter Graves jokes and I mention him in the description. 

Not sure what the deal is with Argo but for a time I was trying to conceive of a joke that basically said our Argo was better than Ben Affleck's because it was "Super."  The joke never quite came together.   

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
    • Choronzon
« Reply #340 on: November 18, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
Not sure what the deal is with Argo but for a time I was trying to conceive of a joke that basically said our Argo was better than Ben Affleck's because it was "Super."  The joke never quite came together.   

Your Argo was better than Ben Affleck's because there was no Ben Affleck.

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
#8a
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
(Total Points: 74    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Anais.whatever)

My favorite of the Nightmare riffs. Well-written and well-performed throughout.

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART III REVIEW – Seven Voyages of Bill Maar…RATED R!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ice on Mars - The Lizzie McGuire Movie
(Total Points: 108    Number of Lists: 6  Highest Ranking: #1 LucasM)

I can't even put into words how awesome and unexpected it is to see this come in at #2. I had it at #2 and seriously considered putting it at #1. Hive fives to everyone who recognized the genius of this riff.  :highfive: Simply awesome. Oh, and I declare this the winner of the Highest Degree of Difficulty Award.

THE LIZZY MCGUIRE MOVIE REVIEW - This Movie Could Really Use a Montage or Two

And the winner...number one with a bullet laserblast to the crotch...is:
Ronin Fox Trax - Masters of the Universe
(Total Points: 112    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Artie)

Wow! This is unexpected...but incredibly awesome and very much deserved. Easily my favorite of all the RFT riffs. It was the perfect storm of having the right movie and the right riffers come together for pure comedy gold.

Having written extensively for this riff, imma take a moment to bask in the glory just a little...*bask* *bask* *bask* - DAT BASK!!!

Huge congrats to Ronin, anais, DraCCu, and all the writers.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE REVIEW - Darth Fabulous!!!

Massive props to DG for driving the bus on this one. You went above and beyond the call of duty throughout the whole process. Awesome job!!!  :clap:
#8a
Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
(Total Points: 74    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Anais.whatever)

My favorite of the Nightmare riffs. Well-written and well-performed throughout.

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PART III REVIEW – Seven Voyages of Bill Maar…RATED R!

Ice on Mars - The Lizzie McGuire Movie
(Total Points: 108    Number of Lists: 6  Highest Ranking: #1 LucasM)

I can't even put into words how awesome and unexpected it is to see this come in at #2. I had it at #2 and seriously considered putting it at #1. Hive fives to everyone who recognized the genius of this riff.  :highfive: Simply awesome. Oh, and I declare this the winner of the Highest Degree of Difficulty Award.

THE LIZZY MCGUIRE MOVIE REVIEW - This Movie Could Really Use a Montage or Two

And the winner...number one with a bullet laserblast to the crotch...is:
Ronin Fox Trax - Masters of the Universe
(Total Points: 112    Number of Lists: 5  Highest Ranking: #1 Artie)

Wow! This is unexpected...but incredibly awesome and very much deserved. Easily my favorite of all the RFT riffs. It was the perfect storm of having the right movie and the right riffers come together for pure comedy gold.

Having written extensively for this riff, imma take a moment to bask in the glory just a little...*bask* *bask* *bask* - DAT BASK!!!

Huge congrats to Ronin, anais, DraCCu, and all the writers.

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE REVIEW - Darth Fabulous!!!

Massive props to DG for driving the bus on this one. You went above and beyond the call of duty throughout the whole process. Awesome job!!!  :clap:
I know I'm really late on this, but I just saw it for the first time (In my defense, I just started moving from the top 5 "general discussion" threads to the rest of the forum) and I just wanted to say that I'm proud to even have ANYTHING to do with the MOTU riff and just say thanks to Ronin for how helpful he was in telling me how to do it. It was forever ago, but for something that was such a pain to do, it sure was a lot of fun and one of my favorite memories.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »
I know I'm really late on this, but I just saw it for the first time (In my defense, I just started moving from the top 5 "general discussion" threads to the rest of the forum) and I just wanted to say that I'm proud to even have ANYTHING to do with the MOTU riff and just say thanks to Ronin for how helpful he was in telling me how to do it. It was forever ago, but for something that was such a pain to do, it sure was a lot of fun and one of my favorite memories.

Glad it was a good experience, and it gave us some great results.  While its hard to listen to those riffs now and pick out who wrote what, I do remember that I had a lot of fun reading through your script.  Considering how much fun that riff was anyway, the fact that anything stood out in the experience should say something.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2013, 03:13:02 PM »

Glad it was a good experience, and it gave us some great results.  While its hard to listen to those riffs now and pick out who wrote what, I do remember that I had a lot of fun reading through your script.  Considering how much fun that riff was anyway, the fact that anything stood out in the experience should say something.
Thanks again sir. Any time you have another open script, I'd love to try another. A couple of friends from here and I tried to do one for the movie Signs, but that ended quickly after one or all of us saw something shiny (I think the xbox was involved) :) In closing, anyone want about 3 pages of signs jokes? :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:37:40 PM by mike5150 »