Author Topic: Top 50 iRiffs  (Read 95640 times)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
Re: Top 50 iRiffs
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Alright. Game on. That's kooky about the videos. Wonder what the hell is going on with that. Bad voodoo.

Anyway, if anyone feels like pimping the countdown, I altered the banner a bit.

TO USE AS SIGNATURE:

Go to Profile > Modify Profile > Forum Profile

Copy and paste the following snippet of code into the 'Signature:' field:

Code: [Select]
<a href="http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php?topic=23725.0">[img]http://i.imgur.com/uHTiT.jpg[/img]</a>
Click the "Change Profile" button to save.

Oh, and can we sticky-up this shit?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 09:57:50 PM »
#48e
Cinester Theater - Nightmare Before Christmas
(Total Points: 20    Number of Lists: 1  Highest Ranking: #6 Darth Geek)

Probably the main reason Hot Topic is still in business. Also, the easiest way to get into a goth chick's pants.
In a world where holidays are places, and Tim Burton's style was still cool, comes a tale of noel theft (not related to Noel Coward). Halloween town discovers Christmas town and all clay breaks loose! It's a musical, too. With songs about murder (well, planning murder in graphic detail), gambling with people's lives, telling us that 'this is Halloween' in bluntness rivaling the Yor theme. A beloved holiday classic for all ages!

This movie is most known for: Being the first fully stop motion theatrical movie. Being directed by Tim Burton, even though it wasn't.

Noted riffs:
It looks like they live in the clubhouse from Earnest Scared Stupid.
NO MURDER!
Dom Deluise?
This town murders everything!
You know the real twist is the elves have bee trying to scare the kids all these years.
Doesn't Santa know Christmas magic or something? Cast Magic Missile at 'em!

Available on Netflix Instant? No.

About the riff: A truly great riff by a great group (I feel like I already mentioned this). It is always easier to watch a riff of a movie you already like, and I love this movie! The riff compliments it very well. Cinester is also very good at doing a variety of voices (in characters voices and others). Performance is very important, as I have mentioned before other places. This group (and this riff in particular) is an excellent example of this.

Purchase: http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/cinester-theater/cinester-theater-presents-nightmare-before-christmas
Sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPpju-CcpFE

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:25:56 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:49 PM »
Oh.

I didn't nominate any of the ICWXP stuff because... well, I guess I just didn't consider them to be iRiffs. Whoops.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »
YAY!
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 10:01:44 PM »
Anyway, if anyone feels like pimping the countdown, I altered the banner a bit.

TO USE AS SIGNATURE:
Cool! Thanks.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »
#48f
Ice on Mars - The Karate Kid
(Total Points: 20    Number of Lists: 1  Highest Ranking: #6 LucasM)

An old man ushers a naive young boy into manhood. Wait, that sounds perverted. Okay, an old man instructs an impressionable young boy in the ways of solving problems with violence. Um...no. A wise old karate instructor gets a boy to do his yardwork for free so...dammit! This is hard!

This movie is most known for: This movie, and sneaking into Porky's, helped teach young boys the fine art of waxing off. Showing kids that old people aren't useless. They might teach you how to kick people in the face.

Noted riffs:
I don't know any. Please post some and I will add them here.

About the riff: I will have Michael T. Bradley let you in on a little secret:
  This was riffed by Ari Dennis, Scix Maddix, J. Wilford Neville with "The Wheat Farmer," riffed by Scix Maddix & myself
Written by myself, J. Wilford Neville & Scix Maddix; "Wheat Farmer" written by Scix Maddix & myself
This is paradoxically my favorite of the feature lengths we've done, even though I think I'm a better voice actor than riff writer, so it should really be my least favorite. But not being a voice actor freed me up to be a director more, and I think I got some really great performances out of everybody here. Not that everyone isn't just naturally funny, but as head writer there are times that you want things done a certain way, etc. I think the most fun here was doing Jason's synch lines, because they were just so ridiculous, and it was nice to work on a project that took like ... half an hour rather than FOURTEEN TAKES OF 45 MINUTES OF VOYAGER.
Not much else to say about it, except that about 25% in we found out they were remaking Karate Kid, then somewhere near release date we found out Rifftrax were doing KK3, so we were like, HOLY CRAP THIS WILL OUTSELL EVERYTHING EVER!!! Of course it's still one of our weakest sellers.
I agree with one criticism: there should've been less gay Johnny & more dumb Johnny. But seriously, again, this is one of those 'you should've seen THE ORIGINAL script ...' I also think the climactic karate tournament could have been tweaked a bit more, but there was SO MUCH in it the first run through that I cut down a lot ... then I realized that the climax really does tie up like a BILLION loose threads in visual manners, and the viewer's mind has to be free to process both that and the riffs, so I cut down even MORE ... but I fear it's now a little TOO empty. But it's these sort of things that drive you crazy as an editor.

Available on Netflix Instant? No.
Purchase: http://quiptracks.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=22
http://www.rifftrax.com/iriffs/ice-mars/ice-mars-vs-karate-kid
Sample: Couldn't find one.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:53:28 PM by Darth Geek »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »
Okay, that is enough for tonight. So far, ten postings, and only three numbers down. As you can see, there a fuckton of ties in this list. So many, that it is actually 86 iriffs that made it onto a list of 50! Whew!

In a day or two, I will be posting more info on some of the groups as a "side list" kind of thing. 

And feel free to post info on favorite riffs for a particular iRiff I have put up, and I will add them to that posting if I don't have many.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Heck, I think you've earned a rest.  I had no idea how much work actually went into an LoC, and what I've seen tonight certainly gives me more appreciation for what you folks do compiling these things.  Nicely done so far.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
#48a
Incognito Cinema Warriors XP - Bride of the Gorilla
(Total Points: 20    Number of Lists: 1  Highest Ranking: #2 Asbestos Bill)

Says 'no longer availiable' on the site
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
Hosting an L.O.C. is a ton of work, and way more time consuming than you think it's gonna be. Kudos to DG for driving the bus.

So, I've written some reviews in the past that I've posted to the product pages, and I figured I might as well post them here for prospective buyers to check out, if they're so inclined. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to write full reviews for all of the iRiffs I've watched, but I'll post what I have. Some of them are a bit lengthy, so I'll spoiler that shit.

#50c Hor-Riff-ic Productions - Poltergeist
(Total Points: 18    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #15 Darth Geek)

POLTERGEIST REVIEW - Screw the Kids, Let’s Get High!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

#49 Ronin Fox Trax - A Nightmare on Elm Street
(Total Points: 19    Number of Lists: 2  Highest Ranking: #14 @ScottOTD)

NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET REVIEW - Thank god for that mattress!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4534
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:24 PM »
Good job, DG!  Looking forward to many (many, many  ;) ) more iRiff suggestions.  I'm pleased that you decided to do all the ties as 'extras' rather than replacing the next number(s) with them.

I was a tad sad to see that I was the only one voting for IoM's KK, but glad that it made the list, regardless.  If I get a chance before this list finishes, maybe I'll rewatch and write some quotes down to update the listing with.  (And maybe try that with others in my top few if possible.)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 12:02:55 AM »
Hooray! LoC!

Coragale

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 12:14:10 AM »
I could have sworn that Karate Kid was on the Instant, but a quick check told me I was wrong. On the bright side, it reminded me of Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior, which is the only thing the Disney Channel's done in recent years that's worth anything.

anais.jude

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2012, 06:16:27 AM »
The best part of Nightmare on Elm Street....

In retrospect there are 2 great parts of the film:
1) JOHN SAXON (see the riff of Nightmare 3 for why this is awesome)
2) Johnny Depp sucked into a bed

Also, without this riff, I doubt I would have befriended Ronin, moved to Denver, worked on 3-4 AWESME iriffs, and generally be the super happy person I am today

So thank you, Ronin and thank you John Saxon

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 693
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 06:57:12 AM »
#48d
Vox-O-Rox - Krull

Somebody riffed Krull! That is awesome! I'll have to try that.

I loved that movie as a kid. I even played the arcade game. But then, a few years ago I bought it on DVD, and I was like "this is nowhere near as good as I remembered". For God's sake man, use the Glaive already! Your friends are getting slaughtered!

Music was really good though. And the Slayers were way cooler than Stormtroopers (and better marksmen).

Also, I never realized that was Tim Curry in IT. Then again, I haven't seen that in LONG time.