Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 45778 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 960
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
It only just now occurred to me, Parsas (which I had at #1) is short for Paralysis.

Also, why is there no #13? Don't tell me you're superstitious....

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:44 PM »
farfetchd!  i always liked trading for it it was pretty cool.  come to think of it i was really into birds i liked the legendary birds i always had a spearow/fearow for a long time early on.  farfetchd pigeot.  love the birds.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
#9: Kabutops

ROCK / WATER

Kabutops was an extict pokémon until scientists ressurected it using a fossil. Though its adolescent form looks like a trilobite or horseshoe crab, Kabutops' stance and scythe-like arms resemble a praying mantis. It may be based on the Trilobite Beetle, which is longer, and has spiky segments similar to Kabutops' back. Its head segment is also similar in shape to Kabutops' own.

Kabutops' typing takes away his Water weakness, but makes him 4x weak to Grass. It does still have five resistances to his four weaknesses, though. It has high Attack and Defense, and Speed that is average, but can be doubled under rain conditions if it has the Swift Swim ability. This makes it very difficult to revenge kill.

Ideal nature: Jolly, Adamant, or Impish

Recommended moves:
Waterfall
Stone Edge
Swords Dance
Aqua Tail
Aqua Jet
Superpower
Rapid Spin
Stealth Rock

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
#8: Cubone

GROUND

by EarthKnight via deviantArt

by raizy via deviantArt

Cubone is notable for several reasons. It is one of very few pokémon to weild a weapon—a bone that it hurls at foes like a boomerang—which makes up for its miniscule size (a little over a foot in height). It wears the skull of its deceased mother like a mask, which later fuses with its head upon evolution, becoming a part of it. From the Pokémon Emerald Pokédex description of Marowak:

Quote from: Emerald Pokédex entry
A Marowak is the evolved form of a Cubone that has grown tough by overcoming the grief of losing its mother. Its tempered and hardened spirit is not easily broken.

It is also theorised that Cubone was originally supposed to evolve into Kangaskahn, given the similarity in appearance of a Cubone, sans-skull, to the child pokémon carried in Kangaskahn's pouch, and the adult Kangaskahn's skull, which is close to that worn by Cubone. I would like to think that maybe the loss of its mother starts a child Kangaskahn on a different evolutionary path, leading to an entirely different adult form. There's no way to put that story into the game mechanics, though. And hatching a baby Kangaskahn, then killing its mother to make it a Cubone would be ridiculously cruel, so maybe it's for the best.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In-game, Cubone is a decent fighter. From Gen 2 on, a Cubone or Marowak could hold its bone as an item called Thick Club (much like Farfetch'd's Stick). Thick Club doubles their attack stat, giving even an unevolved Cubone fearsome strength—up to over 400 at lvl100. It's defense is also quite high. If it has the ability Rock Head, recoil damage is negated, allowing it to use super powerful moves like Double-Edge without consequence. Alternatively, if it has Lightningrod, he becomes useful as a support for water pokémon in double battles, as he draws all electric attacks to himself.

Ideal nature: Adamant or Brave

Recommended moves:
Earthquake
Double-Edge
Fire Punch
Substitute
Ice Beam
Swords Dance

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:43:06 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »
It only just now occurred to me, Parsas (which I had at #1) is short for Paralysis.

It's "Paras," actually, which is more likely a shortening of "parasite."

There's no 13 because I'm using standard competition ranking. So the second #12 superseded #13. That's why there's still 50 total, despite the ties. ...Well, actually since there were a bunch tied for 49, it's something like 53 I think.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2012, 08:14:12 PM »
So if Cubone wears its dead mother's skull as a mask, what does a Cubone with a living mother look like?  Or does every female Cubone die in childbirth?

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2012, 08:31:16 PM »
Behold!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:13 PM »
So if Cubone wears its dead mother's skull as a mask, what does a Cubone with a living mother look like?  Or does every female Cubone die in childbirth?

A Cubone without a dead mother looks like a baby Kangaskhan, like those in their pouches. Well, according to this theory. Bill's idea about baby Kangaskhans becoming Cubones IF their mother dies is pretty cool, though.

EDIT: Also, since Kabutops showed up:

Kabutops by invader_quirk, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:42:28 PM by Invader_quirk »

Offline CJones

• Liked: 960
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2012, 08:42:47 PM »

It's "Paras," actually, which is more likely a shortening of "parasite."

Damnit, I screwed that up. Parasite does make more sense.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
#7: Rayquaza

DRAGON / FLYING

by mark331 via deviantArt

Rayquaza is a lenendary member of the Weather trio, which also contains Groudon and Kyogre. They are essentially gods of air, land, and sea, respectively. Rayquaza is the leader of the group, and serves as a mediator between the other two when they are in conflict. It is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer.

Rayquaza is a Gen 3 pokémon, and can be found at the top of Sky Pillar in Ruby, Saphire, and Emerald. It is extremely powerful, with the same stat total as Mewtwo, Ho-Oh, etc. It is a deadly sweeper and wallbreaker, though its speed is relatively low (for a legendary).

Ideal nature: Jolly, Hasty, Adamant, Naïve, or Mild

Recommended moves:
Dragon Dance
Swords Dance
Extreme Speed
Outrage
Draco Meteor
Overheat
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Waterfall

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2012, 09:19:32 PM »
#6: Donphan

GROUND

Donphan is a second-stage evolution of Phanpy. It is most known for it's ability to curl up and roll around on the tire-like hide on its back and trunk, as seen in Pokémon: The First Movie. Donphan are herd pokémon, led by a single alpha male. They are temperamental, and will go on a rolling rampage if angered. Donphan also roll to compete for mates.

Donphan first appeared in Gen 2, in which they can be caught in the wild, though only in Silver. Later, when these games were re-released as Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Donphan was switched over to be Gold-exclusive. Donphan has a base stat total of 500—putting it in the upper tier of non-legendary pokémon—much of which is focused on Attack and Defense. In competitive play, Donphan is useful as a trap remover, using Rapid Spin to get rid of things like Spikes or Stealth Rock, which damage pokémon switching into the battle, as well as moves like Bind and even Leech Seed. Unlike some other Rapid Spin users, like Hitmontop, Donphan can also deal out heavy hits and take them too. His lack of recovery moves makes him somewhat less viable as a tank, however.

Ideal nature: Adamant

Recommended moves:
Earthquake
Assurance
Rapid Spin
Ice Shard
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2012, 09:34:33 PM »
Bonus: Magikarp

WATER

by SailorClef via deviantArt

Magikarp was on the most lists without making the cut, so it gets a bonus entry.

Magikarp is the most worthless pokémon in the game, knowing only Splash by default—a literally pointless move: "The user just flops and splashes around to no effect at all..." But this only serves to make its transformation that much more dramatic when it goes from pathetic to badass.

Ideal nature: Adamant or Jolly

Recommended moves:
Splash
Tackle
Flail
Bounce

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:43 PM »
Thank goodness there was finally reason to post that Manly Guys strip.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:47:39 PM by Relaxing Dragon »

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »
so can magikarp learn tackle?  I always figured it couldnt learn anything not that i ever tried. 
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Coragale

« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »