login

Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 47004 times)

Coragale

Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:15 PM »
Mudkip isn't a bug ghost type.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1186
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »
Fun Fact: Thomas Edison actually used a pikachu to electrocute the elephant he recorded, as hinted in the Fire Red description

I kinda doubt that's actually true. I am happy to see that Raichu made it though.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
Fun Fact: Thomas Edison actually used a pikachu to electrocute the elephant he recorded, as hinted in the Fire Red description

I kinda doubt that's actually true. I am happy to see that Raichu made it though.

Which part do think isn't true? That they were hinting at that?

Coragale

« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
Just checked my Fire Red Pokedex entry. It's confirmed.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:44 AM »

Spoilered for size
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:30:47 PM by Invader_quirk »

Coragale

« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »
#15: Blastoise

WATER

by DestroyedSteak via deviantArt

lines by Shun-008, color by commanderlewis, via deviantArt

Blastoise is a tank of a pokémon—a huge tortoise with dual water cannons on its back that are said to be powerful enough to cut through steel. The cannons can also be rotated to point backward in order to facilitate jet-powered body slams. It is actually not that heavy, weighing only 188 pounds, but it is quite hardy.

Blastoise is the final stage of first Gen water starter Squirtle. It has high Defense and Special Defense, with the other stats hovering in the middle range. It has two weaknesses and four resistances, and is the only single type pokémon of the first Gen starters at their final stages. It has access to a number of support moves to harrass the oppositon while it tanks, including Foresight, Yawn, Roar, Dragon Tail, and of course Toxic.

Ideal nature: Bold

Recommended moves:
Scald
Rapid Spin
Roar
Toxic
Dragon Tail
Foresight
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Sleep Talk

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #187 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
#14: Parasect

BUG / GRASS

by SailorClef via deviantArt

Parasect is based on an actual fungus that infects ants. The fungus slowly eats the non-essential bodily functions, then compels the host to climb a blade of grass, where it disintegrates in the wind, spreading the fungal spores. That's why Paras' evolved form, Parasect, has dead, gray eyes. When you evolve Paras, you kill it and gain a fungus that uses your old pokémon's corpse as a host.

Parasect can be found in Safari Zone or Cerulean Cave in Red and Blue, or evolved from the more common Paras. Strategically, its typing is risky, having six weaknesses and five resistances, two of each of which are doubled. Fortunately, the resistances are for more common attack types than half of the weaknesses, and if it has the ability Dry Skin, its resistance to Water becomes an immunity. It's still a pretty big gamble, but the move that makes it worth the risk is Spore, a 100% accurate sleep inducer that, in first Gen, was exclusive to Paras and Parasect, and even in Gen 5, only 5 pokémon can learn it.

Ideal nature: Careful or Adamant

Recommended moves:
Spore
X-Scissor
Aromatherapy
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Substitute
Protect
Seed Bomb

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:14:10 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2012, 08:24:57 PM »
#12a: Steelix

STEEL / GROUND

by TeaAndZebraStripes via deviantArt

by Yuki-Myst via deviantArt

Steelix is a gigantic metal snake. In lore, it is said to be formed by an Onyx being compressed deep underground, which forges it into a metal harder than diamonds.

In the game, Steelix is acquired by trading an Onyx while it is holding a Metal Coat. It has incredibly high Defense and its typing gives it nine resistances and two immunities. Its main threats are Fire and Water, which it is weak to, and even Grass and Ice, which deal normal damage but are likely to match up against its lesser, Special Defense rather than Defense.

Ideal nature: Relaxed or Sassy

Recommended moves:
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Curse
Gyro Ball
Roar
Dragon Tail
Toxic
Stone Edge
Explosion

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:15:07 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Steelix was one I always really, really wanted when I played Silver. Mostly because he was like Onyx, only he was actually a worthwhile fighter.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
#12b: Bulbasaur

GRASS / POISON

by Lanmana via deviantArt

We passed Bulbasaur's final form, Venusaur, a ways back, but Bulbasaur surpassed it through sheer charisma (I'm guessing). Bulbasaur are lap pokémon known for their loyalty and obedience. The bulb on their back is not only a Swiss Army Knife of surprises (bullet seeds, vine whips, various spores...) but a handy alternative source of nutrients. When food is scarce, Bulbasaur can sit in the sun and photosynthesize.

As a starter, Bublasaur has a lot of appeal. Not only is he strong against the first two gyms, but he's bulkier and less cutesy than the other two, while still being charming. That's why I picked him years ago. As a Little Cup competitor, Bulbasaur has good Special Attack and Special Defense. It doesn't have a lot of options in its attacking moovepool, but with the speed boost of a Choice Scarf, it makes a good revenge killer.

Ideal nature: Modest

Recommended moves:
Sleep Powder
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Venoshock
Leaf Storm

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:15:34 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
Ah, Bulbasaur. My very first Pokemon, the one that started it all. Sure, he was probably the easiest option, considering how well he worked against the first two gyms (especially Misty), but he was such a lovable little guy you just didn't mind. Pretty much the first one I think of when someone says Pokemon.

And now, a relevant comic from one of my favorite comic artists (a very old scan, so be prepared for some tiny writing):

And then the sequel (in color!):

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:25 PM »
#11: Farfetch'd

NORMAL / FLYING

Farfetch'd may be weak, but he's a pretty cool guy. He hits things with a leek and doesn't afraid of anything. Farfetch'd are very protective of that leek, treating it as a swordsman would a prized blade. Their personality is overall very knightlike, in fact, and they are perhaps the most chivalrous of pokémon.

They are more than just honorable leek-weilders, however. Farfetch'd holds an interesting significance in Japanese culture by being an illustration of an idom: A duck bearing onions. This is a phrase to describe a serendipitous event—green onions being the second most important ingredient for a duck stew (the first should be obvious). This coincides with the rarity of Farfetch'd in-game, who was originally a one-time trade offer by an NPC in Red and Blue and who has ever since been tricky to obtain. Click here for the full article, which also goes into a second meaning of the phrase.

I found the Smogon write up for Farfetch'd humorous, and I don't think I can say it any better:

Quote from: Smogon University
In Generation V, many monsters rely on cowardly tactics—hit-and-run maneuvers with Choice items, unfairly exploiting their foes' typings to set up, or using despicable entry hazards to violate the sanctity of Focus Sash. Some simply use sheer brute force to crush those foes who are less fortunate, or a favorable typing and natural defensive power to wall their foes. Farfetch'd is a simpler kind of Pokémon. An honorable Pokémon. A decent Pokémon. Using Farfetch'd isn't just picking a team member—it's standing up for the restoration of knightly virtue to Pokémon battles. Farfetch'd can't use Choice items; it doesn't have a STAB combo that leaves many Pokémon no choice but to flee. Nor does it wield those entry hazards, or any other such trickery. And of course it is humble, statistically. Farfetch'd is a Pokémon which desires a duel; in a situation where its foes grant it the chance it needs to show its abilities, it cannot be beat.

While this set is superficially similar to such brutes as Terrakion, or even the violent god Arceus, Farfetch'd functions entirely differently from them. Those Pokémon get their opportunity to set up by treacherous means—threatening premature violence against unprepared foes chief among these. Farfetch'd instead believes in its foe's honor—a three-turn preparation period is agreed to, during which Farfetch'd and its foe ready themselves.

Farfetch'd dances with its blade, and at the end of the three turns its Attack stat is 1004. Perhaps its foe will have made similar efforts, or perhaps it will have changed places with a comrade better equipped to fight Farfetch'd. Either way, Farfetch'd will then unleash its full power. With Return, Farfetch'd's blade shall cleave many foes in two, but some survive. Fear not! Against these greater enemies, Farfetch'd spreads its wings and unleashes Brave Bird. Foes as great as the mighty elephant Donphan will be broken.

Steel-type Pokémon, with armored hides and iron fangs, can survive Farfetch'd's attacks. However, if they have any honor at all they will not take these traits without offering their offensive capabilities in trade; Farfetch'd's Revenge gives it a chance, however slim, against these.

Even with all your setup, many foes will still outrun Farfetch'd and kill it before it has a chance to strike—for example, Terrakion. Or Dragonite. Or Haxorus. Or Salamence. Or Scizor. Or Gyarados. Or Lucario. Or Metagross—these are but a scant few of the members of this list. There's no shame in dying with honor, though. As long as Farfetch'd stays and fights to the end, that's enough; better a noble death than a cheap victory. Ladder ratings may fall, but your spirit shall soar.

Farfetch'd has some extent of less honorable fare, such as Toxic and Knock Off, with which to attempt a support set. Nonetheless, it's a disgraceful path for Farfetch'd to go down, and one in which it is entirely outclassed by Archeops. Or Archen.

Ideal nature: Jolly or Adamant

Recommended moves:
Swords Dance
Return
Brave Bird
Revenge

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:16:52 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
#10: Gardevoir

PSYCHIC

by purplekecleon via deviantArt

Gardevoir takes the form of an elegant woman, though it can technically be either male or female. It evolves from Kirlia, the "Empathy Pokémon" to become the "Embrace Pokémon." If a male Kirlia is exposed to a dawn stone, however, it would instead become Gallade, the "Blade Pokémon." Gardevoir, by contrast, prefers peace to conflict, and will defend its trainer to the death if necessary. Its name is most likely French inspired, from "garde" (guard) and "voir" (to see) or "devoir" (duty). The idea of seeing comes into play through Gardevoir's clairvoyant abilities.

Gardevoir was introduced in Gen 3. Despite seeming to be all about defense, it has great Special Attack. Of course, as a special attacker, Gardevoir will have to compete with pokémon such as Alakazam, but it has a diverse moovepool that allows for many options.

Ideal nature: Timid, Modest, or Bold

Recommended moves:
Psychic
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Trick
Will-O-Wisp
Reflect
Wish
Light Screen

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:17:21 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 7358
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »

y'know, other than killing people, roadside bombs are pretty neat.
dF = 0
d*F = J