Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 46658 times)

Invader_quirk

Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2012, 06:31:47 AM »
Hitmonlee, along with Hitmonchan, is one of a pair of fighting pokémon—not initially related, though now parallel evolutions of Hitmontop

All the hitmons evolve from Tyrogue, actually.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:10 AM »
Hitmonlee, along with Hitmonchan, is one of a pair of fighting pokémon—not initially related, though now parallel evolutions of Hitmontop

All the hitmons evolve from Tyrogue, actually.

Fixed.

And we need more things like this on this list:

Coragale, I know you're holding out.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:27 PM »
I bring them when I can:

Marill caused a bit of a stir way back when on the playground in elementary school. I'm talking when all there was was Red and Blue, and possible sequels were but a vague rumor (this was a simpler, pre-internet time, when the world seemed so pure and mysterious). Some pics of Marill popped up, and everyone thought it was a new Pikachu evolution that you get by crossing it with the surfstone called Pikablu. I tried for so many hours to find that damn stone based on some "walkthroughs" I found online, along with others that said if you beat the Elite 4 99 times then you'd gain access to a secret city after the 100th. I actually made it about 20-something times in before giving up.

Like I said, it was a simpler time.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »
#20: Pidgeot

NORMAL / FLYING

Pidgeot is a large bird of prey evolved from the very common Pidgey. It hunts fish and bugs with the grace and precision of an eagle. In the anime, Ash Ketchum used a pidgeot that he caught as a Pidgeotto. It evolved when Ash was attacked by a flock of Fearow, to protect him. Subsequently, Ash released it to let it look after a flock of Pidgies and Pidgeottos. Pidgeot's colors and long head plumage have led some to thorize that it is in part based on Ra and or Horace:

Pidgeot is an often overlooked pokémon in Red and Blue, perhaps because of the commonness of Pidgey in early areas. Pidgeot is a powerful bird, though. Mirror Move is what allows Pidgeot to use moves outside its relatively narrow moovepool, so should always be considered. Normal STAB moves are another staple. Pidgeot is good as a sweeper or setup for a team. Unfortunately for Pidgeot, subsequent generations have brought with them many Normal / Flying types that simply outclass Pidgeot, leaving it in the dust.

Ideal nature: Jolly or Adamant

Recommended moves:
Mirror Move
Double-Edge
Hyper Beam
Agility
Mimic
Substitute
Fly

Coragale

« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2012, 01:22:24 PM »
Uploading them as we speak.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2012, 01:27:57 PM »
Without even meaning to do it, Pidgeot became a key member of my team for most of my playthroughs, sometimes right to the end. It was crazy fast (thanks partially to the stat boosters I kept feeding it) and back in the early days not many fliers could outclass it. Was a pretty well balanced mon, though sometimes I needed to use Fly a lot to keep it out of harms way (and then there were those awkward moments when I used Fly the same time the other guy used Dig).

Coragale

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Here's something.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
#19: Shedinja

BUG / GHOST

What if after a cicada emerged from its old skin, the skin kept living as its own creature? That's what Shedinja is. When Nincada evolves into Ninjask, Shedinja is left over. Little is known about the pokémon except that it is protective of Ninjask, quiet, and deceptively fragile.

Shedinja is unique in many ways, and demands a unique strategy. Aside from being the only byproduct pokémon, it is the only pokémon with only 1 HP—if it's hit, it's dead. HOWEVER, it is also the only pokémon with the Wonder Guard ability, which makes it only able to be hit by super-effective moves. For Shedinja, that means it can only be defeated by Fire, Flying, Rock, Ghost, and Dark moves. ...And status moves, because it can be burned or poisoned.

This bizarre set of traits makes Shedinja extremely tricky to use, and it will always be a gambit. But if it is properly set up, it could just win your battle for you. Unfortunately, it can't learn reversal, which guages its power off of remaining HP, being power 200 at 1HP. It can learn Final Gambit, though, which does the same thing except that the user faints to perform it.

Ideal nature: Lonely

Recommended moves:
Swords Dance
X-Scissor
Shadow Sneak
Protect
Final Gambit
Trick
Sucker Punch
Will-O-Wisp

Invader_quirk

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2012, 05:35:59 PM »
Some pics of Marill popped up, and everyone thought it was a new Pikachu evolution that you get by crossing it with the surfstone called Pikablu.

I REMEMBER THIS. I don't remember the rumor of using a surfstone, but I definitely remember people calling it Pikablu.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
I remember the rumors that you could catch a Mew by swimming through some city to a truck and using strength to push the truck after completing the Pokedex, etc, etc... :^)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
I remember the rumors that you could catch a Mew by swimming through some city to a truck and using strength to push the truck after completing the Pokedex, etc, etc... :^)

I tried the truck one. It took a crazy amount of effort to trade for a Pokemon that had Cut and another with Surf so I could get to it in the first place (the version I heard was that you needed to do this while the S.S. St. Anne was still around). I was so excited... and then nothing.

It was a dark time when I realized there wasn't quite as much in video games as I'd been led to believe there was.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »

yep and a similar story to the pikablu one above was you get mew after you beat elite 4 100 times. 

i also remember the pikablu myths quite exciting times.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
#18: Mudkip

WATER

by The-EverLasting-Ash via deviantArt

I heard you liek them. Mudkips are small amphibians with spiky orange gills on its cheeks. The large fin on its head can sense movement around it, acting as a kind of radar. When under duress, it can tap into its inner strength to crush rocks bigger than itself. It buries itself in soft soil to sleep.

Mudkip is the Gen 3 water starter, eventually evolving into Swampert. it has a decent Attack and otherwise average stats. While its moovepool is not large, it does have access to some uncommon moves and thus has some interesting options.

Ideal nature: Jolly

Recommended moves:
Waterfall
Rock Slide
Double-Edge
Return
Superpower
Ice Beam
Mirror Coat
Curse
Counter

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:05:06 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
#17: Charmander

FIRE

by Vermeilbird via deviantArt

Charmander is a fire lizard, based on old superstitions revolving around salamanders. It was believed that they could survive a fire, and even that they could start fires. Hence, Charmander. Unlike its evolutions, Charmander is friendly and well-behaved.

Charmander is, of course, the fire starter from Red and Blue, and we've already talked about his hardships in the first two gyms. Unlike other fire pokemon, Charmander has some unusual moves it can learn, including several Dragon moves.

Ideal nature: Adamant

Recommended moves:
Dragon Dance
Fire Blitz
Brick Break
Rock Slide
ThunderPunch*

*ThunderPunch is listed in both the recommended movesets on Smogon University, but every source I've looked at says Charmander can't learn it... I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
#16: Raichu

ELECTRIC

by aeru via deviantArt

Raichu is the evolution of Pikachu, obtained by exposing Pikachu to a Thunderstone. Raichu is much more aggressive than its predecessor. Like Pikachu, it stores electricity in the patches on its cheeks. Fun Fact: Thomas Edison actually used a Raichu to electrocute the elephant he recorded, as hinted in the Fire Red description:

Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint.

And speaking of "Pikablu," apparently a mistranslation in Red and Blue was another contributor to the theory that Marill was in the Raichu evolutionary tree. In the Japanese Blue, a scientist on Cinnabar Island trades a Graveler for a Kadabra. Afterwards, he remarks that the pokémon he recieved evolved because Graveler and Alakazam evolve upon trading. In the English versions, you trade him a Raichu for an Electrode, but he says the same thing, leading people to believe there was another, hidden stage to its evolution.

Ideal nature: Adamant

Recommended moves:
Nasty Plot
Thunderbolt
Encore
Grass Knot
Focus Blast
Volt Switch

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:47:48 AM by Pokémaniac Bill »