login

Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 46923 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »
Good old Venusaur (who was my #3, by the way, not #2). He was the first one I trained to juggernaut-status as well, and I got him to the point where I could handle even a high-level Charizard pretty well (sure, I didn't like to do it, but when push comes to shove I could throw down with Solar Beam with the best of them).

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 467
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
#37d: Beedrill

BUG / POISON

by kyougyo via deviantArt

Beedrill is a three-foot wasp with not only a large stinger, but two more, bigger stingers on its hands—all of which are poisonous. When it attacks, it visciously stabs with all of these repeatedly. Unlike a regular wasp, it only has four legs, and stands upright on two of them when not in flight. It is the final evolution of Weedle, hatching from its pupil state, Kakuna. Beedrill are very territorial and, according to in-game accounts, fast, making it very dangerous to approach their nests.

Weedle and Kakuna are found commonly in Red and Blue, but not at all in Yellow. Contrary to lore, Beedrill is not that fast, and it has terrible Defense. In fact, none of its stats are above average. In first Gen, its weaknesses and resistances were also quite bad, but after the changes made to Bug and Poison, they are at least even (with two .25x resistances in Fighting and Grass). Beedrill has the potential to be tricky, however. It can learn moves like Toxic Spikes to harrass the oposing team, and U-Turn, which allows it to attack and switch out. It can also learn Venoshock, which doubles in power (to 130) when the defending pokémon is already poisoned.

Ideal nature: Jolly or Adamant

Recommended moves:
U-Turn
Toxic Spikes
Pursuit
X-Scissor
Knock Off
Brick Break

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:39:38 AM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
can't believe i left of primeape.

no love for beedrill? cmon its got three stingers what a badass.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Invader_quirk

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2012, 12:12:46 PM »
Beedrill's pretty great, but was one of the many Pokemans that got pushed off my list.

Offline pegaso220379

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
Girafarig, also a palindrome.  And more on what could have been the biggest freak of nature here.  I much prefer his chain-chomp.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Prototype_Pok%C3%A9mon_and_characters#Kirinriki

Reminds me of CatDog (so which end defecates through it's mouth?)

After hours trying to figure out what Girafarig could be an anagram for, I finally realized I'd mixed up the words anagram and palindrome again.

Possibly fun fact: The Chinese, upon first seeing a giraffe, thought they have had found an actual Qilin, a mythical Chinese beast. The Japanese borrowed this idea (along with half the Chinese language), but changed the name to Kirin, which is the current Japanese name for giraffe. Americans further distorted the name in SaGa Frontier by spelling it Kylin.   

Along with Girafarig, Suicune and Arceus are also borrowed from the Qilin mythos.  More borrowing of ideas, Japan?

But, more fun with giraffes!  The Europeans named it camelopard, after its camel's looks and leopard's spots.  They even named a constellation after it.

http://www.ianridpath.com/startales/camelopardalis.htm

Sorry, it's Pi day and I'm getting my geek on.  (Which isn't too different from any day, really.)

Offline pegaso220379

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2012, 02:56:19 PM »
For Phanpy, they have the ability Pickup.  An occasional Rare Candy?  Win!!  "What, You want it, little Phanpy?  You can't have it!  You'll go Donphan and think you can get out of work!"

And yes, Beedril forever lives in my nightmares.

Coragale

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2012, 03:02:58 PM »
Japan also jacked Goku from China. Journey to the West.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:20 AM »
#36: Blaziken

FIRE / FIGHTING

The final evolution of Ruby/Saphire/Emerald starter Torchic, Blaziken is much less like a bird and more like some sort of disco...mountain man...Viewtiful Joe. It produces fire from its wrists and ankles and can jump over buildings.

The change from pure fire type to fire/fighting when it evolves into Combusken trades a weakness to rock for flying and psychic weaknesses, and adds a resistance to dark moves. Blaziken has both Attack and Special Attack in large amount, making it a diverse attacker.

Ideal nature: Jolly or Adamant

Recommended moves:
Swords Dance
Hi Jump Kick
Protect
Flare Blitz
Low Kick
Thunder Punch
Blaze Kick
Stone Edge

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »
#35: Ninetales

FIRE

Commonly misspelled "Ninetails," Ninetales does have nine tails, and I have never heard it tell a single tale. It is derived from Japanese folklore that says that "many-tailed foxes can breathe fire, create illusions, and have extremely long lifespans." The number nine is associated with suffering in Japan as well. Ninetales have a 75% chance to be female.

Ninetales is a first Gen pokémon exclusive to Blue. Vulpix can be found on Routes 7 and 8, and in Pokémon Mansion; in Yellow, they can be bought from the Rocket Game Corner. Ninetales has high speed and Special Defence, making it a good special wall, but it can just as easily be used as an attacker. It's wide movepool includes moves such as Energy Ball, Payback, Nasty Plot, and Hypnosis. Ninetales itself does not learn any moves by leveling up, however, so be sure to get all those moves with Vulpix before giving it a Fire Stone.

Ideal nature: Timid, Modest, or Calm

Recommended moves:
Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Will-O-Wisp
Energy Ball
Hypnosis
Sunny Day
Solar Beam

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:24:25 AM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2012, 12:18:47 PM »
#34: Honchkrow

DARK / FLYING

by heatrailshade via deviantArt

Honchkrow is the first mafia-affiliated pokémon, called a "Big Boss Pokémon" in Pokédex entries. The dorky witch hat of Murkrow changes into a stylish, large brimmed fedora and it gains a voluminous white ascot or cravat of down under its beak. He also seems to have a bouquet of roses in place of tailfeathers. I guess after finding out about all the floozies Honchkrow takes on the side, Mrs. Krow let him know where he could put his flowers.

Honchkrow is an added evolution (via Dusk Stone) for Gen 2 pokémon Murkrow that showed up in Gen 4 as a Diamond exclusive. Though its defenses are low, its HP is above average, leaving it with decent staying power. It's strength is its high Attack and Special Attack, along with one of  its abilities, Super Luck, which increases its chances for critical hits. In Gen 5, it can gain the hidden ability Moxie, which increases its Attack by one stage when it KOs an opponent. This makes it an adept sweeper, so the mob image is quite appropriate.

Ideal nature: Adamant or Naughty

Recommended moves:
Brave Bird
Sucker Punch
Roost
Substitute
Pursuit
Superpower
Heat Wave
Night Slash

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
Does that bird have a naturally occurring hat?  Also, if I ever release an album, I'll call it "Naturally Occurring Hat"

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:42 PM »
Looking at him, I see less a mafia guy and more a pimp (the animation is even him showing some unsuspecting ho the backside of his wing). Which works just as well, since the Pokemon world needs both.

Coragale

« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:24 PM »
Honchkrow is AWESOME. As soon as I found out I could get one in Diamond, I got the HELL out of one.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »
Primeape has been my favorite Pokemon since the 1st generation days.  He sucked then, but when Fighting types became more useful in the 2nd generation, I was thrilled.  Mine had Cross Chop (Fighting type gotta have a good Fighting move) Endure, Reversal (Reversal is tricky without Endure) and Rock Slide to take care of flyers.  I did end up using a Primeape later with Earthquake instead of Endure.

I had a heck of a time figuring out how to breed Reversal onto my Primeape.  Nothing that  could breed with Primeape could learn it.  Except Smeargle :D  Of course nothing wild used Reversal.... I ended up getting something with Reversal, and no other moves, then using Mystery Gift with my cousin's Game Boy Color to get that Pokemon as the only Pokemon on the mystery trainer's team.   Then it was easy to get Smeargle to Sketch Reversal and breed it with a wild Mankey.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
#33: Gengar

GHOST / POISON

by rykyramirez via deviantArt

Constantly grinning malevalently, Gengar is a creepy guy. He could be based partially on the Cheshire cat. Not always malicious, Gengar mostly just enjoys playing tricks on people—pretending to be a person's shadow, for instance. In the episode "The Tower of Terror," Ash meets all three of his evolutionary stages, who try to entertain him with standup.

Gengar is a first Gen pokémon that evolves from Haunter only when it is traded. It has very high stats in Special Attack and Speed. Its low defenses and HP necessitate something like Substitute though.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Disable
Pain Split
Thunderbolt