login

Author Topic: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}  (Read 45691 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3749
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: LOC 57: Top 50 Pokemon {Now counting down!}
« Reply #210 on: March 21, 2012, 01:52:59 AM »
Incidentally, Am I the only one who heard, "Eat Pokemon to understand the power that's inside?" I knew it couldn't be right (And now I finally see the lyrics and know it's not) but that's what I always heard.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #211 on: March 21, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Incidentally, Am I the only one who heard, "Eat Pokemon to understand the power that's inside?" I knew it couldn't be right (And now I finally see the lyrics and know it's not) but that's what I always heard.

Those lyrics are wrong too. It's TEACH Pokemon to understand the power that's inside.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 466
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »
so can magikarp learn tackle?  I always figured it couldnt learn anything not that i ever tried. 

It learns Tackle and Flail by leveling up. But its attack is so pathetic that there's practically no point.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »

It does raise the question of what people in Pokemon Land eat, considering that they are essentially the only animals around.  Are everyone vegetarians?  And if so, can they eat plant pokemon?

As a side note, if you had to eat a Pokemon, which one would you eat.  Me, I choose you, Magikarp.

BTW, I sent a 2 entry list and both have shown up in some capacity.

Coragale

« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:13 AM »
They eat nothing but Jelly Donuts, of course!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Srh6pyyFs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/X9Srh6pyyFs</a>

Invader_quirk

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »

It does raise the question of what people in Pokemon Land eat, considering that they are essentially the only animals around.  Are everyone vegetarians?  And if so, can they eat plant pokemon?

As a side note, if you had to eat a Pokemon, which one would you eat.  Me, I choose you, Magikarp.

Crappy misspelled caption, but it answers the question.

Coragale

« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »
I dunno which Pokemon I'd eat. If I was a bum on the streets, I'd probably sustain myself with Rattatas. In my current standard of living, I'd probably be eating... Tauros. The manliest bull.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2012, 11:24:47 AM »
Abomasnowcones?

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2012, 11:29:50 AM »
so can magikarp learn tackle?  I always figured it couldnt learn anything not that i ever tried. 

It learns Tackle and Flail by leveling up. But its attack is so pathetic that there's practically no point.

Somehow I Don't remember that.  It would be fun to not let it evolve and keep training it until it was a fighting stud just to confuse people.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »
There's something about going for Vanilite/Abomisnow that seems less cruel until you realize that he's a pokemon you probably wouldn't kill first. He'd just be screaming while you slowly licked him away to nothing.

Miltanks are farm-raised. I'll go for a Miltank burger with a milkshake on the side!

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »

Somehow I Don't remember that.  It would be fun to not let it evolve and keep training it until it was a fighting stud just to confuse people.

Actually it just learned Tackle in Red and Blue, then Flail in later games. Just to be pedantic.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
There's something about going for Vanilite/Abomisnow that seems less cruel until you realize that he's a pokemon you probably wouldn't kill first. He'd just be screaming while you slowly licked him away to nothing.

This needs to be an animation.

Offline Asbestos Bill

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Are YOU dedoodaydolah?
    • QuipTracks
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »
#5: Pikachu

ELECTRIC
Points: 53; Lists: 4; Highest: Smith Dr John Smith's brother (#7)

by beyx via deviantArt

by moni158 via deviantArt

by beyx via deviantArt

Pikachu is an electric mouse pokémon that stores static charge in the red pouches on its cheeks. If its charge builds up too much, it will need to discharge through its tail in order to avert potential injury. Pikachu live in groups in the wild, and while not territorial, they can collectively conjure thunderstorms if threatened.

Pikachu is the masthead of the Pokémon franchise and easily the most recognized. It is the sidekick of Ash Ketchum in the anime, and for some reason the repeated target for capture of the bumbling Team Rocket. Ash's pikachu seems to be unusually intelligent for its species, and also more powerful. It is not invincible, however, and is often defeated throughout the show. Ash's pikachu is also resistant to the idea of evolving, choosing to stay in its adolescent form, much like its seemingly immortal owner.

Pikachu can be found very rarely in Viridian Forest, just outside Viridian City at the begining of Red and Blue. It can be extremely frustrating to try to go for one, battling or just running from endless swarms of bugs, and then you better damn well catch it once you encounter one. If you're doing Effort Value training off the bat, though, that kind of eases the pain. [Weedles give Speed, Caterpies give HP, and Metapods and Kakunas give 2 Defense EVs each. Since the ideal goal is to rack up 252 EVs in each of two stats, grinding is more bearable (for me, anyway) and when that Pikachu finally shows up, it's icing on the cake.]*

(If you want, I can do a post about Effort Values, Individual/Determinant Values, Natures, and the finer points of training. It's kind of complicated, but the rewards are great.)

Anyway, once you have a Pikachu, you have a fast little glass cannon that you can use to blast Pidgey to ashes and fry Misty's team. From Gen 2 on, wild Pikachu have a small chance to hold a Light Ball, an item that doubles its Special Attack (and Attack too, from Gen 4 on). This makes it more powerful than a Raichu (without an item), but it can only be used by Pikachu. Raichu also doesn't learn any moves by itself, so there's another reason to wait befroe you give Pikachu a thunderstone.

*[EDIT] After further research, it looks like this understanding of Effort Values only applies to games from Gen 3, onward. Battling tons of weak pokémon early is still useful though.

Ideal nature: Timid

Recommended moves:
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Encore
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot
Focus Punch

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 02:12:13 PM by Pokémaniac Bill »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »
I was wondering when/if the Pokemon Poster-Boy was going to show up. Normally on these lists, it's pretty easy to call the top 5 based on the rest of the list. I have no idea what to expect from here...