login

Author Topic: Loc: Top 54 Fictional Crushes Countdown  (Read 56263 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5613
  • Mr. Robot
Re: Loc: Top 54 Fictional Crushes Countdown
« Reply #285 on: February 19, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »
Lllllllllllllllady/ies

#6 Romana/Romana

(61 Points) 3 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #2 BBQ Platypus

Appeal:

Proud and beautiful/perky and cute

Bio:
Romana, short for Romanadvoratrelundar, is a fictional character in the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. A Time Lady from the planet Gallifrey, she is a companion to the Fourth Doctor.

As a Time Lady, Romana is able to regenerate, having had two on-screen incarnations with somewhat different personalities (dubbedRomana I and Romana II by fans). Romana I was played by Mary Tamm from 1978 to 1979. When Tamm chose not to sign on for a second season, the part was recast. Romana II was played by Lalla Ward from 1979 to 1981 regularly and then again in 1983 and 1993 as a guest.

Romana is one of only two members of the Doctor's own race to travel with him in the original television series. The other is Susan Foreman, the Doctor's granddaughter, although Susan is never explicitly identified as a Time Lady.

The White Guardian originally assigns Romana to assist the Doctor during the quest for the Key to Time, a series of linked serials which constitute the whole of Season 16 (1978–79). Romana first appears in The Ribos Operation, and was intended as a contrast to her predecessor, the savage Leela. Romana is initially haughty and somewhat arrogant, looking down on the Doctor (whom she considers to be her academic inferior) and responding to his initial resentment at her presence with icy put-downs. However, she soon gains an appreciation for the Doctor's experience and sense of adventure, and begins to respect him as a teacher.

Romana II enjoys a more intimate relationship with the Doctor than her predecessor, to the point that some fans have assumed a romantic relationship with the Doctor. Although a relationship was never explicitly shown or intended by the writers, many fans have found the signs of a romantic relationship particularly evident in the story City of Death, perhaps reflecting the real-life romance between Tom Baker and Lalla Ward which blossomed during the production of that story, leading to their brief marriage. In many ways, she is the companion most alike her Doctor - besides being of the same race and comparable intelligence, she occasionally mimics his sense of style, wields her own sonic screwdriver and can occasionally get the better of him in moments of banter and more practical situations. As her practical experience develops, she also becomes more assured and capable in the situations she encounters.

Dislikes:
Daleks and the sedentary life.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #286 on: February 19, 2012, 03:32:37 PM »
Woo two in a row.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #287 on: February 19, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
Listen, I think we all know where I'd take this double entrendre and I think we're all better off if I just don't do it.

#5 Catwoman

(63 Points) 5 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #3 George Harrison

Appeal:

Sexy rule breaker who will break your heart and also rules.

Bio:
Catwoman is a fictional character associated with DC Comics' Batman franchise. Historically a supervillain, the character was created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, partially inspired by Kane's cousin, Ruth Steel. Kane, a frequent movie goer, also mentioned that Jean Harlow was a model for the design.

The original and most widely known Catwoman, Selina Kyle, first appears in Batman #1 (Spring 1940) in which she is known as The Cat. She is an adversary of Batman, known for having a complex love-hate (often romantic) relationship with him. In her first appearance, she was a whip-carrying burglar with a taste for high-stake thefts. For many years Catwoman thrived, but from September 1954 to November 1966 she took an extended hiatus due to the newly developing Comics Code Authority in 1954. These issues involved the rules regarding the development and portrayal of female characters that were in violation of the Comics Code.

Since the 1990s, Catwoman has been featured in an eponymous series that cast her as an antihero rather than a supervillain. The character has been one of Batman's most enduring love interests. Many modern writers have also interpreted her activities and costumed identity as a response to a history of abuse.

A popular figure, Catwoman has been featured in most media adaptations related to Batman. Actresses Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, and Eartha Kitt introduced her to a large audience on the 1960s Batman television series and the 1966 Batman motion picture. Michelle Pfeiffer portrayed the character in 1992's Batman Returns. Halle Berry starred in a stand-alone Catwoman film in 2004, which was a box-office flop, and was not based on the Batman character. Anne Hathaway will portray Selina Kyle in Christopher Nolan's upcoming Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises.

Dislikes:
Being tied down to something

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »
Listen, I think we all know where I'd take this double entrendre and I think we're all better off if I just don't do it.
#5 Catwoman

(63 Points) 5 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #3 George Harrison

VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #289 on: February 19, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
Every little thing you do is magic.  Or computer science.

#4 Willow Rosenberg

(66 Points) 4 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 Johnny Unusual

Appeal:

Sweet, gentle, compassionate and while shy at first, outspoken as the show moves on.

Bio:
Willow Rosenberg is a fictional character created for the fantasy television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003). She was developed by Joss Whedon and portrayed throughout the TV series by Alyson Hannigan. Willow plays an integral role within the inner circle of friends—called the Scooby Gang—who support Buffy Summers, a teenager gifted with superhuman powers to defeat vampires, demons, and other evil in the fictional town of Sunnydale. The series begins as Buffy, Willow, and their friend Xander are in 10th grade and Willow is a shy and nerdy girl with little confidence. She has inherent magical abilities and begins to study witchcraft; as the series progresses, Willow becomes more sure of herself and her magical powers become significant if inconsistent. Her dependence on magic becomes so consuming that it develops into a dark force that takes her on a redemptive journey in a major story arc when she becomes the sixth season's main villain, threatening to destroy the world in a fit of grief and rage.

The Buffy series became extremely popular and earned a devoted fanbase; Willow's intelligence, shy nature, and vulnerability often resounded strongly with viewers in early seasons. Of the core characters, Willow changes the most, becoming a complex portrayal of a woman whose powers force her to seek balance between what is best for the people she loves and what she is capable of doing. Her character stood out as a positive portrayal of a Jewish woman and at the height of her popularity, she fell in love with another woman, a witch named Tara Maclay. They became one of the first lesbian couples on U.S. television and one of the most positive relationships of the series. Willow appears in every Buffy episode (making her the only character besides Buffy herself to do so), is featured in three episodes of the spinoff Angel, an animated series and video game—both of which use Hannigan's voice, and the comic Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight (2007–2011), which uses Hannigan's likeness and continues Willow's storyline following the television series.

Dislikes:
Having to sing
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:03:23 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
"The whole point of romance is window dressing for coitus," is a very limited biological imperative viewpoint.
No, it's not, evidently you've not seen how complex window dressing can be.

More and more we learn that the ultimate reason for life is the propagation of it and, in most species, that is down to sex. You can gripe about that all you like but everything, from companionship and indeed any other achievement is ultimately in the service of he continuance of the genetic material which forms one's body.

There's nothing wrong with that, but ultimately that is what it's for. Sorry if that makes you view it in a negative light, personally, I think that's awesome.  

And Lucas, in none of your posts did you give the definition from the OED, I did. When defining words I don't use Webster I use the OED. My point being that there might be a transatlantic divide here; apparently Americans have a more nuanced meaning for "Crush". I'm American by choice, but culturally I'm still British.  

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #293 on: February 19, 2012, 04:08:14 PM »
Maybe we'll have breakfast at Tiffany's in bed.

#3 Holly Golightly

(69 Points) 3 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #2 George Harrison

Appeal:

Flighty, flirty free spirit.  The original manic pixie girl before it became a much hated trope.

Bio:
Breakfast at Tiffany's is a novella by Truman Capote published in 1958. The main character, Holly Golightly, is one of Capote's best-known creations and an American cultural icon.

In autumn 1943, the unnamed narrator becomes friends with Holly Golightly, who calls him "Fred", after her older brother. The two are both tenants in a brownstone apartment in Manhattan's Upper East Side. Holly (age 18-19) is a country girl turned New York café society girl. As such, she has no job and lives by socializing with wealthy men, who take her to clubs and restaurants, and give her money and expensive presents; she hopes to marry one of them. According to Capote, Golightly is not a prostitute but an "American geisha."

Holly likes to stun people with carefully selected tidbits from her personal life or her outspoken viewpoints on various topics. Over the next year, she slowly reveals herself to the narrator, who finds himself fascinated by her curious lifestyle. In the end, Holly fears that she will never know what is really hers until after she has thrown it away. Their relationship ends in autumn 1944.

Hepburn's portrayal of Holly Golightly in the film adaptation as the naïve, eccentric café society girl is generally considered to be the actress' most memorable and identifiable role. She herself regarded it as one of her most challenging roles, since she was an introvert required to play an extrovert. Hepburn's performance of "Moon River" helped composer Henry Mancini and lyricist Johnny Mercer win an Oscar for Best Song.

Dislikes:
Staying put.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #294 on: February 19, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
You are a woman in a Joss Whedon show.  Marry me.

#2 Inara Serra

(75 Points) 5 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #4 Pak Man

Appeal:

Sensual, kind, gentle and for hire.

Bio:
Inara Serra was played by Morena Baccarin. Born in the late 25th century on Sihnon, Inara is a Companion, a high-society courtesan licensed by the Union of Allied Planets (the "Alliance"). In Alliance society, Companions are part of the social elite, often accompanying the wealthy and powerful. There is considerable ritual and ceremony surrounding their services, which appear to extend beyond sex to nurturing psychological and emotional well-being. Actress Rebecca Gayheart was initially hired to play the part of Inara but was fired after only one day of filming. Joss Whedon said that there was a lack of chemistry between her and the rest of the cast. Morena Baccarin filmed her first scene the very day she was accepted for the role.

As of the end of the original Firefly series, most of what is known about Companions is derived from Inara herself and incidental discussions with and about other Companions and Companion-trained individuals. These sources suggest that Companion training includes social and physical grace, at least some performing arts, and psychology. Companions choose their own customers, and can have ungracious customers banned from any Companionship. Inara has a number of frequent clients throughout the Allied worlds, and takes both male and female clients, although most of her clients are male.

Inara, a Buddhist, was a rising member of Companion House Madrassa when she suddenly and inexplicably left to travel the outer rim. She has suggested that she "wanted to see the universe", although it is strongly hinted that she had other reasons. Less than a year before the events of the pilot episode, she leased one of Serenity's shuttles for transportation, living space, and workspace, providing her with some mobility. Though earning Mal's disfavor initially by stating that she supported unification of the Alliance and the Independents (in a flashback in "Out of Gas"), she and Mal have developed an unacknowledged attraction to each other which they resist, ostensibly for business reasons, and is expressed in the form of jesting and sometimes hurtful bickering. Mal constantly insults her career, but takes offense when others do so, going so far as to punch a client who did so. Mal tells Inara, "I may not respect your job, but he didn't respect you."

Inara appears to be at least somewhat adept at swordplay ("Shindig"). In the movie Serenity, it is shown that she also may have been trained somewhat in the martial arts, and is skilled with a bow and arrow, apparently preferring them over firearms. In a proposed extended version of a scene from Serenity, in Inara's Companion montage, she was to be seen teaching the girls how to use the bow, but this idea was dropped, claiming that she appeared too much like "Wonder Woman".

A subplot for Inara was hinted at throughout the series. Joss Whedon explained in the DVD audio commentary for the pilot episode that the syringe Inara takes out during the Reaver encounter is not for suicide. Second, when the ship is disabled in the episode "Out of Gas," Simon said, "I don't want to die [on this ship]," to which Inara replied, "I don't want to die at all." In "Heart of Gold", Nandi remarks that she did not age at all. The secret was apparently revealed in a panel at 2008's DragonCon; Morena Baccarin confirmed that Inara was dying of a terminal illness.

Dislikes:
Jayne.  Well, different strokes.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #295 on: February 19, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
I'd like to take her where we cannot stand.

#1 Kaylee Frye

(107 Points) 6 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 Lassieface

Appeal:

Fun-loving, sweet, friendly and clearly the person you want to spend time with in a tin can floating through a see of black vacuum.

Bio:
Kaywinnit Lee "Kaylee" Frye was portrayed by Jewel Staite. Kaylee has exceptional mechanical aptitude, despite her lack of formal training, and serves as ship's mechanic onSerenity. Kaylee is considered by the crew to be exceptionally sweet and chipper, the type who maintains a bright and positive attitude even when others are feeling low. Jewel Staite explains Kaylee's character as being wholesome, sweet, and "completely genuine in that sweetness", adding "She loves being on that ship. She loves all of those people. And she's the only one who loves all of them incredibly genuinely." Staite told Interview magazine, "She's kind of a floozy who wears her heart on her sleeve." Kaylee has shown an affinity for strawberries. Despite her mechanical aptitude which allows Kaylee to fix just about anything, she has a desire for girlish things and is annoyed when Mal does not see that she is a woman as well as a mechanic. Although most notable in the episode "Shindig"—when he criticized her desire to purchase an elaborate dress on the grounds that she would have no opportunity to wear it in her job—this recurs throughout the series.

The background of the character is revealed in the episode "Out of Gas", showing her joining the crew of Serenity. The ship's captain, Malcolm Reynolds, interrupted her and Bester, the ship's mechanic at the time, having sex in Serenity's engine room. However, when Bester incorrectly informed Mal that the ship could not be fixed, Kaylee quickly proved him wrong by diagnosing the problem and repairing the grounded Serenity virtually on the spot. Impressed with her mechanical ability, Mal immediately offered her Bester's job. Kaylee happily accepted, and left her family (and Bester) behind to join the crew.

Dislikes:
People who mess with the engine.  Also, her friends

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #296 on: February 19, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »
Get the hell out, I suppose lots of people like a Wrench Wench.   :)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #297 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:27 PM »
And that's the end of that.  I hope you enjoyed it.  Now here's a list of characters who got multiple votes but didn't make it (sorry I couldn't keep going to with  pin up bit.  I liked it, but it took too long.

Batman – 28 Points (3 lists, #6 Tyrant)
Princess Jasmine – 28 Points (2 lists, #12 Mr Basehart, Pak Man)
Eowyn – 26 Points (2 lists, #9 D.B. Barnes)
Emma Peel – 26 Points (2 lists, #10 Jim Dalen)\
Six – 25 Points (2 lists, #13 RoninFox)
Zelda – 24 Points 2 lists   
Faye Valentine – 24 Points (2 lists, #9 RoninFox)
Amy Wong – 23 Points (4 Lists, #8 Darth Geek)
Tali – 23 Points (2 lists, #9 Jim Dalen)
April O’Neil – 22 Points (2 lists, #7 Darth Geek)
Juliet Burke – 22 Points, 2 lists
Chun li – 21 Points, 2 lists
Belle – 21 Points (4 lists, #19 Imrahil)
Amelie – 21 points (2 lists, #12 TeamRAD)
Martha Jones – 19 Points, 3 lists
Nausicaa – 19 Points, 2 lists
Linda Barrett – 19 2 lists
Toph – 18 Points 2 lists
Zoe Washburne – 17
Spike Spiegel – 17 2 lists
Mary Jane Watson – 17 Points, 2 lists
Honey Rider – 16 Points, 3 lists
Han Solo – 16 Points
Paprika – 16 Points
Starfire – 15 Points, 2 lists
Lara Croft – 13 Points, 3 lists
Gadget – 13 Points, 3 lists
Haruhi Suzumiya – 8 Points, 2 lists
Annie Edison – 7 Points, 2 lists
Leeloo – 6 Points
Supergirl – 6 Points
Seven of Nine – 4 Points

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #298 on: February 19, 2012, 04:28:07 PM »
Get the hell out, I suppose lots of people like a Wrench Wench.   :)

Yeah, I was pretty shocked she won, especially by such a large margin.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #299 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »
Maybe we'll have breakfast at Tiffany's in bed.
#3 Holly Golightly

(69 Points) 3 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #2 George Harrison

Wow! This is a huge surprise. Way to go, Harrison (and other mystery voter)! I had Holly at #4. There will never be a better or more likable manic pixie girl in my opinion. Bush Baby Lady's act ain't got nothin' on this. Hepburn looks consistently amazing in Breakfast at Tiffany's. She'll makes me swoon. Just absolutely adorable. While I both love and hate her, ultimately she is a fantastic character that I have a pretty strong connection with.

Anyway, this is a very pleasant little bonus. I had four on the list , and they just happened to be my top four. Pretty cool.

I'd like to take her where we cannot stand.

#1 Kaylee Frye

(107 Points) 6 of 24 Lists - Highest Ranking - #1 Lassieface