login

Author Topic: LoC #92 - Top 50 Romances - Countdown!  (Read 23587 times)

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5911
  • Mr. Robot
Re: LoC #92 - Top 50 Romances - Countdown!
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2016, 05:37:15 AM »
18. Chow and Mrs. Chan (In the Mood for Love)

Nice one!  That was a good movie.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1387
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2016, 05:38:28 AM »
18. Chow and Mrs. Chan (In the Mood for Love)

Nice one!  That was a good movie.

It beat out Chocolat
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2016, 09:22:56 AM »
BTW, who had Zoe and Wash at number 1.  It wasn't me, though they did make my list.

Whoops. Fixed it. Had the right point count and name, but the wrong place. You were still the top vote at #7.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
Here's mine:
1. Eve and Wall*E
2. Fry and Leela
3. Link and Zelda
4. Fitz and Simmons
5. Homer and Marge
6. Han Solo and Princess Leia
7. Mary Jane and Peter Parker
8. Gomez and Morticia Adams
9. Jessica and Roger Rabbit
10. The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
11. Deadpool and Shiklah
12. Lana Kane and Sterling Archer
13. Dean Venture and Trianna
14. Pepper Potts and Tony Stark
15. Homestar Runner and Marzipan
16. Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers
17. Wash and Zoe
18. Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man
19. Kermit and Ms. Piggy
20. Brock Samson and Molotov Cocktease
21. Glen and Maggie
22. Shepard and Liara
23. Fujiko Mine and Lupin III
24. Romeo and Juilet
25. Francine and Stan Smith

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 312
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:19 PM »
Super varied and fun list. What might come as no surprise is my list is primarily romantic comedies. (and four...yes, four...John Cusack characters):

1.   Diane Court & Lloyd Dobler– Say Anything
2.   Alison Bradbury & Walter ‘Gib’ Gibson – The Sure Thing
3.   Monique Junot & Lane Meyer – Better Off Dead
4.   Jane Craig, Aaron Altman & Tom Grunick – Broadcast News
5.   Buttercup & Westley – The Princess Bride

6.   Daniel Miller & Julia – Defending Your Life
7.   Celine & Jesse – Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Before Midnight
8.   Kevin Arnold & Winnie Cooper – The Wonder Years
9.   Harry Burns & Sally Albright – When Harry Met Sally
10.   Homer & Marge Simpson – The Simpsons
11.   Hoban “Wash” Washburne & Zoe Washburne – Firefly/Serenity
12.   Harold Chasen & Maude Chardin – Harold & Maude

13.   Bud & Fran – The Apartment
14.   C.B. Bales & Roxanne Kowalski -- Roxanne
15.   Anna Scott & Will Thacker – Notting Hill
16.    Phil Connors & Rita Hanson – Groundhog Day
17.   Sam Baldwin & Annie Reid – Sleepless in Seattle
18.   Jerry Maguire & Dorothy Boyd – Jerry Maguire
19.   Rick Blaine & Ilsa Lund – Casablanca
20.    Hoops McCann & Cassandra Eldridge – One Crazy Summer
21.   David Addison & Maddie Hayes – Moonlighting
22.   Jack Foley & Karen Sisco – Out of Sight
23.   Carl Frederickson & Ellie – UP
24.   Wall-E & EVA – WALL-E
25.   Hawkeye & Cora Munro – The Last of the Mohicans
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2016, 05:55:12 PM »
Great list. Is it weird that I was Gomez and Morticia to be my other set of parents?  Because they are great parents.

Not at all. I often lament that my family wasn't more like the Addams, actually. What I've always gotten from it, besides some nicely dark humor, is that it's okay to be 'weird'. There's a fascinating liberty with just fully accepting oneself and all one's particulars and not caring what anyone thinks of you just because you're not "normal". One can ask Pak. It's my calling card to this day, and I agree. They're awesome parents.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2016, 12:44:37 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, I have been informed that Bud and Fran and C.C. Baxter and Fran Kubelik are the same couple. This would have put it between #25 and #24. So I give you:

#24.5 –CC Baxter and Fran Kubelik (The Apartment)

(28 Points) 2 of 10 Lists - Highest Ranking - #11 - George Harrison

Shut up and deal.

Just the facts/Stuff I wiki'd:

Who is He? Mild mannered C.C. Baxter has been working at Consolidated Life, an insurance company, for close to four years, and is one of close to thirty-two thousand employees located in their Manhattan head office. To distinguish himself from all the other lowly cogs in the company in the hopes of moving up the corporate ladder, he often works late, but only because he can't get into his apartment, located off of Central Park West, since he has provided it to a four company executives.

Who is She? Fran Kubelik is an elevator girl in the building who Baxter likes.

The Romance: The four managers write glowing reports about Baxter a little too glowing, so personnel director Mr. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray) suspects something illicit behind the praise. Sheldrake lets Baxter's promotion go unchallenged on condition that he be allowed to use the apartment as well, starting that night. Sheldrake gives Baxter two tickets to The Music Man to ensure his absence. Delighted about his promotion, Baxter asks Kubelik to meet him at the theatre. She agrees and it is revealed to the audience that she is Sheldrake's girlfriend, intending to break off their affair that night but is instead charmed by Sheldrake to the apartment. Baxter is disappointed at being stood up, but is willing to forgive Kubelik.

At an office party on Christmas Eve, Baxter discovers the relationship between Sheldrake and Kubelik, though he conceals this realization, while Kubelik learns from Sheldrake's secretary that she is merely the latest female employee to be his mistress, the secretary herself having filled that role several years earlier. At the apartment, Kubelik confronts Sheldrake with this information and while he maintains that he genuinely loves her, he leaves to return to his family. Meanwhile, a depressed Baxter picks up a woman in a local bar and, upon returning the apartment, is astounded to find Kubelik in his bed, fully clothed and overdosed on Baxter's sleeping pills.

Baxter sends his bar pickup home and enlists the help of his neighbour, a physician, in reviving Kubelik without notifying the authorities. The doctor makes various assumptions about Kubelik and Baxter, which Baxter concedes without revealing Sheldrake's involvement. Baxter later telephones Sheldrake and informs him of the situation, and while Sheldrake professes gratitude for Baxter's quiet handling of the matter, he avoids any further involvement. Kubelik recuperates in Baxter's apartment under his care for two days, during which he tries to entertain and distract her from any possible suicidal afterthoughts, talking her into playing numerous hands of gin rummy, though she is largely uninterested.

Baxter and Kubelik's absence from work is noted and commented on, with Baxter's former "customers" assuming that Baxter and Kubelik were having an affair. Kubelik's taxi-driver brother-in-law comes looking for her and two of the customers cheerfully direct him to Baxter's apartment, partly out of spite since he has been denying them access since his arrangement with Sheldrake. The brother-in-law also assumes the worst of Baxter and punches him several times.

Sheldrake, angered at his secretary for sharing the truth with Kubelik, fires her. She retaliates by telling his wife about his infidelities, leading to the breakup of the marriage. Sheldrake moves into a room at his athletic club and continues to string Kubelik along while he enjoys his newfound bachelorhood. Baxter finally takes a stand when Sheldrake demands the apartment for another liaison with Kubelik on New Year's Eve, which results in Baxter quitting the firm. When Kubelik hears of this from Sheldrake, she realizes that Baxter is the man who truly loves her and abandons him, running to the apartment. Baxter, in the midst of packing to move out, is bewildered by her appearance and her insistence on resuming their earlier game of gin rummy.

Romantic Highlight
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_gOQq1ygJgY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_gOQq1ygJgY</a>

Pak's Thoughts – Yeah. I haven’t seen this one either. Looks like a fun movie,  though.