Author Topic: Friends  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
Friends
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/friends

The 1970s were an exciting era in the world of educational shorts. The films shifted focus from “attempting to teach kids something practical” to “reminding them that life is a yawning, silent void with no purpose or warmth.” Yes, Friends puts the FUN back in ennui! It’s full of those treasured childhood memories we all share. Like when a girl finds a gigantic, broken TV antenna in a trashcan, and drags it behind her for the rest of the day. Or when an even weirder girl offers her money in exchange for friendship, which leads to crying, and eventually to that most iconic of games - the plum fight! Chucking ripe fruit at each other in an abandoned brick ruin, these girls learn the true meaning of friendship: no one is really on your side, and no one understands. Time for recess, kids!

Grab a juicebox (grape ‘n dust flavor) and join Mike, Kevin, and Bill in the chummy abyss of companionship called Friends!
http://www.rifftrax.com/shorts/friends

(There really isn't any non-OCD point of having child boards for all of the shorts)
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
  • Decepticons forever!
Re: Friends
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »
Anyone else clap along with Bill's singing at the start?

Also anyone else think the dark haired girl looked like a young Michelle Rodriguez?

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
This is great, 'cause I've been hoping for a short more depressing than Each Child Is Different  ::)

Offline Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
This is great, 'cause I've been hoping for a short more depressing than Each Child Is Different  ::)

This one delivers.  Pre-teen angst.

Offline Khameleon808

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:48 AM »
I actually just got off the phone with Sarah Faw. She is the little girl that played the one by herself.  Supposed to talk to the other Redhead (Nancy) later today.   I guess Mara (filipino girl) moved away a long time ago with her family.  I contacted them out of curiosity because I wasnt sure if this depressing of a scenario could be real or not.  Pieter left the end pretty open ended.  But I guess they were all friends for the longest time up till highschool.   Very nice people.  Doubt they expected a call about this after 30 years hahaha.    I told her that it was on rifftrax after explaining what it was to her and she was just like OMG!

Offline MerryWanna

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
  • The Drugly American
    • Choronzon
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 09:28:00 PM »
I actually just got off the phone with Sarah Faw. She is the little girl that played the one by herself.  Supposed to talk to the other Redhead (Nancy) later today.   I guess Mara (filipino girl) moved away a long time ago with her family.  I contacted them out of curiosity because I wasnt sure if this depressing of a scenario could be real or not.  Pieter left the end pretty open ended.  But I guess they were all friends for the longest time up till highschool.   Very nice people.  Doubt they expected a call about this after 30 years hahaha.    I told her that it was on rifftrax after explaining what it was to her and she was just like OMG!

Wow.  That's amazing.  Sarah was the spaced out loner, right? THAT WOULD HAVE TOTALLY been me - and judging by the dating of the film, I'd have been either exactly the same age or really close to it.  I never offered money for friendship, tho'.  I just lived in my own little world, fed and watered it and now it's a great big universe that I don't know what to do with. :)

Mara reminds me of the one friend I did have in childhood although it would have been closer to junior high school age...even in appearance.  (She still looks gorgeous, too.)
"Ever feel like you're dragging a big bag of meat around?" -  Kevin, The Curse of Bigfoot