login

Author Topic: LOC- The 50 Most Requested Rifftrax of 2012  (Read 26512 times)

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
Re: LOC- The 50 Most Requested Rifftrax of 2012
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Well here is my list,not many of mine made it this year.

7) Deathwish 3

*the neighborhood starts cheering*

Man, that thing riffs itself and then some. Also, it has a higher body-count than Commando w/ as much funny!

DW3 is quite something.  :)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »
Well here is my list,not many of mine made it this year.

7) Deathwish 3

Man, that thing riffs itself and then some.

That's why it shouldn't be riffed. I mean, it's just so self aware.   ;)
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Watchman

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
22.Predator 2 (I actually like this movie better than the original)

Likewise. Over time it's picked up something of a following & I've read more than one article on "why Predator 2 is better than the first". One such article: http://www.scene-stealers.com/top-10s/top-10-reasons-predator-2-is-the-best-of-the-%E2%80%9Cpredator%E2%80%9D-franchise/
Very good article. Those are most of the same reasons I have. I don't necessarily completely agree with all of #5, I would have liked if they successfully had a badass woman character (Maria Conchita Alonso is a TERRIBLE actress in this). But I totally agree in the disdain for force fed romantic subplots. So the lack of that was a breath of fresh air.
What he didn't mention, though, was the fact that this movie did NOT make the mistake of trying to put the Predator back in the shadows and not seen very much, like it was in the first one. Some people criticize it for this, but I think once you've revealed the Predator in all his glory at the end of the first one, you can't go back. So they wisely showed him, and they gave him more toys, so there is still stuff to surprise you.
However, one of the hardest things to do in filmmaking is world building. And the first movie has the establishment of the Predator and what it takes to fight him down pat. So that can't be taken away from it.
EDIT: And I cannot agree more with how absolutely BADASS Danny Glover is in this. Without the bullshit baggage of "I'm getting too old for this shit" from Lethal Weapon, he is a force of nature here, and far more interesting a character than Arnold in the first one. It will forever be my favorite thing Danny Glover's done

Actually I liked Conchita in this, if largely because before this I only knew her from Vampire's Kiss, where her character Alva is subjected by Nicholas Cage to insane degrees of harassment & sadism. So I thought it was nice to see Alva kick some ass after being yelled at, chased around office bathrooms & basements and ultimately being raped by a deluded fake vampire.

A lot of people criticize the "dated" 1997 setting, but to me it plays more like an insanely ultraviolent parallel-universe Los Angeles. I love that it sets up the most chaotic, violent world possible so we know the Predator's going to have a hell of a hunting time & be treated to some wholesale slaughter of ruthless gangs. I actually prefer that Predator 2 doesn't take place in a "real" world, because one thing about the first Predator that kind of bugs me is its latent 3rd-world racism; and using a  real-life violent scenario for the backdrop of fictional violence. I generally don't care for the revisionist trend of action movies to take place where lots of people have died and say "wouldn't it be a hoot if these people were really slaughtered by something supernatural or not of this earth?" (The use of Nazis in the Indiana Jones 1 & 3 don't bother me because the supernatural elements didn't play with their war crimes or genocide, but used their treasure hunting as the backdrop for fantastical events. It would have been a different story if the Holy Grail liberated Auschwitz.) Magneto's X-Men backstories, on the other hand, don't seem so kosher to me because they're actually using the genocidal aspect of WWII for an entertaining backdrop. You shouldn't focus on your cartoonish villains' roles as war criminals. What's next, Mr. Freeze running a Russian gulag? Decepticons in Rwanda?

Offline Sugar Ray Dodge

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 541
    • Utah Graphics World
« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2014, 09:08:18 PM »

1. Watchmen - (2009) - 126 points
(8 of 17 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Sugar Ray Dodge)

Whoa! For some reason, I totally don't remember submitting a list at all in 2012. I thought this year was gonna be my first year. I mean, yeah, it makes sense because Watchmen ranked pretty close this year to where it was on my list in 2012 (apparently!) Don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting that this is wrong, because I don't know how it could be, I just for some reason have no memory of it. Kinda wish I could see the rest of that list now somehow. I have bought a new computer since then, so I know there's no way I can access it on my own.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 934
  • My name is RaphaĆ«l Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #139 on: February 02, 2014, 08:20:53 PM »
They've already riffed two of my most wanted since last years list: Starship Troopers and The Wizard of OZ. Heck, I even had ST at #2