Author Topic: Downton Abbey  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Downton Abbey
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 06:07:59 AM »

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
Well, O'Brian and Thomas are both pretty conniving.  And Mary and Edith seem to enjoy being cruel to each other.  But they can be compassionate.  Even O'Brian softens to some degree in the second season, and Thomas proves that he's not completely without sympathy to other humans.

Actually, of the sisters, I feel most sympathy for Edith.  She tends to be the one most overlooked, both by the other characters and the writers.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2920
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »
It seems to have a lot of really shitty people in it that dampens my enjoyment of what's going on.

What do you mean?  Shitty actors or shitty characters?  Because I would disagree with you on both counts.

Shitty characters. And I mean shitty in the sense of, "You're an asshole," not in the sense of they're badly written.  O'Brien, the ex-valet, and the younger sister all could burst into flames and I'd smile.

You have to keep watching, the sisters all go through major changes when the war comes.   All 3 are way more likeable by the middle of season 2.

O'Brien is a tricky one to figure out, can't tell for sure where they are going with her.  Seems she only does good things out of guilt over the horrible things she does.  But I guess at least that shows she has a conscience, where I don't think Thomas has one.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 09:44:27 AM »
Hey guys? I don't really want to know this stuff regarding character development just now.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »
Yeah, I feel like S2 should still be considered spoiler territory.

Did you watch both of those YouTube videos?  Some major spoilers for the end of season 1 in the second one.

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »
Matthew?  He appears at the end of the first episode.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 07:55:50 PM »
I could see it being riffed.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:49 PM »
Caught the last half hour of what they showed on PBS tonight.  So PBS also cuts out scenes so they can get extra ad time just like commercial TV does...

No way to describe it without major spoilers if you haven't see it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's only about 30 seconds but it makes me wonder what else PBS has been cutting out?

Oh and now that it has aired:

Edit:  Looked at the run times on the Blu-Ray set, the 2 episodes they spliced together for last night total 2:01, so PBS cut almost 10 minutes out.  Some of that is the extra title and credits, so that probably means about 5 minutes of show was cut.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:21:15 AM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
I've noticed a couple of phrases that seemed out of place, but only one that's on their lists ( just sayn').  Interesting that several were common in America at the time but took a few more decades to reach the UK.

It must be very hard to write period dialog without letting some of that slip in.  I'm sure if the dialog was truly period there would be anachronisms that have gone out of use that would detract from the drama because we wouldn't be sure of what they were talking about. 

When the men have their military uniforms on they did have a guy on set that went around checking to make sure all the medals they were wearing could have been worn at that time.  They also had a hard time with the ladies dresses, they just don't make fabrics like they used to.

I've wondered the same thing about the John Adams miniseries, they went out of their way to make it look period and that is great, but would it be as enjoyable if the dialog was strictly period as well?  Not that I noticed anything modern in that, but how faithful was it to the way people really talked to each other?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 08:02:03 PM »
I've noticed a couple of phrases that seemed out of place, but only one that's on their lists ( just sayn').  Interesting that several were common in America at the time but took a few more decades to reach the UK.
Oh yeah, America is a fantastic idiom factory.

It must be very hard to write period dialog without letting some of that slip in.  I'm sure if the dialog was truly period there would be anachronisms that have gone out of use that would detract from the drama because we wouldn't be sure of what they were talking about.
The makers of Deadwood ran into a similar thing; they had to use modern obscenities because period ones either sounded tame or meant nothing now (c.f. just how profane Scrooge is actually being about Christmas to the original readers of the novella). 

When the men have their military uniforms on they did have a guy on set that went around checking to make sure all the medals they were wearing could have been worn at that time.  They also had a hard time with the ladies dresses, they just don't make fabrics like they used to.
Even when that can be found, it's rarely at a price that's production budget friendly.

I've wondered the same thing about the John Adams miniseries, they went out of their way to make it look period and that is great, but would it be as enjoyable if the dialog was strictly period as well?  Not that I noticed anything modern in that, but how faithful was it to the way people really talked to each other?
There is always a level of vocabulary that seems antiquated enough, take for example the way Thor speaks in the comics; The Early Modern English of the KJV and Shakespeare. To most people that simply sounds right, not authentic, but right. :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
A good friend of my Dad who lives in East Sussex actually got to be in the show because they used his car for episode three. It's a 1910 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, completely original (even the original leather upholstery!) My Dad did a ton of work on the car when he visited last summer.

That's him as the chauffeur. The wardrobe people made him cut his hair when he showed up with his normally shaggy locks.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 03:16:15 PM »
The Ghost is such a beautiful model. One of my brothers had a Cloud II for a while and that's nice but not a patch on the Ghost.:)

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:26 AM »
I'm kinda torn, because on the one hand, I want Matthew and Mary to be together, but on the other hand, I think Matthew is too good for Mary.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 09:07:02 AM »
Come on people, get started watching season 2 already!   The Blu-Ray set is a steal at $25 for close to 10 hours of HD goodness...  I think the DVD set is under $20.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 12:15:15 PM »
Come on people, get started watching season 2 already!   The Blu-Ray set is a steal at $25 for close to 10 hours of HD goodness...  I think the DVD set is under $20.

I started watching season two and wrote a fairly extensive post about it. Did Marty care? Marty don't care. Marty just smacks the shit outta my season two post.