login

Author Topic: New B5 update.  (Read 4672 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
Re: New B5 update.
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2007, 06:06:30 AM »
Well she is in charge of Babylon 5. There are Centauri in the is already, and minbari. I believe Londo is meant to be in the next set..

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »
Volume 11 is out, with the standard cheaper price for the first week.

Offline tgeorgic

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 08:09:47 AM »
tvshowsondvd is listing july 31st as the release date for the straight to dvd movie.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:57:37 AM »
Amazon has pre-orders up

Can see the cover from tvshowsondvd.com

that of course is the full price, no one should pay that, lol.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 06:44:39 AM »
Probably not. It's made for DVD, Warner gave the green light before trying to sell it to anyone.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2007, 05:42:14 AM »
Wow, script book 11 is certainly quite a hefty read, It covers the period of negotiations between WB and TNT and details exactly how Claudia (Ivanova) screwed the show over and then lied about it

In a nutshell, the negotiations were going to go longer than the current contracts for all the B5 show Actors, so they approached Claudia told her the situation and asked for her help with getting everyone to sign 1 month extentions, she mentioned that she would need a bit more time off next year, which was find, and so she helped out  with getting everyone to sign the extentions, so she knew exactly what was going on.  The one month expired during a huge B5 convention in Blackpool, all the cast were going to attend.

During the negotiations TNT obviously asks if the show can be made cheaper, now most of you should know that B5 was made for about half the cost of any star trek episode, was also always on time, and under budget, so intially they said no, they couldn't cut wages due to the previous union issues, so JMS asks John Flynn if they could go from doing a 7 day shoot to 6 days, he says No way. Then JMS says I am about to shoot Sleeping in the Light, if I, an idiot who has never directed before,  can do it in 6 days, will you agree to it? and then John said sure, so JMS went in a filmed Sleeping in the Light in 6 days, and he said to everyones credit no one tried to slow things down or anything like that. So they were able to trim the budget by so much.

TNT accepts the show right before the convention, and arranges a big announcement and organizes a cover of The TV Guide for the next week to announce it, all the big stars are on it.

Since the show was picked up, JMS has to write about 6 scripts in 6 weeks, including a new season 4 final episode to replace sleeping in the light, (which becomes Deconstruction of Falling Stars) so it's a mad house at the convention. JMS brings his outline of Season 5 and arranges it around his hotel room.

He gets the call, 'have you seen the trades?' 'No, I am in Blackpool!' 'Claudia is leaving the show, she didn't sign the new contract' 'WHAT!', 'TNT and WB are Livid' they fax the article to him, and he cracks just that little bit more. So he calls John Flynn and they go hunting for Claudia to get her to sign the new contract.

They finally find her, and she says how she wants more time off again, she wants to be in only 18 shows, which again is still absolutely fine with them. The kicker is she wants to be paid for 22 shows, a pay rise which was not going to happen. The issue was that everyone has a contract clause regarding 'no favourites' if 1 person gets a 20% payrise, everyone gets a 20% payrise, so it just isn't going to happen.

Eventually JMS gets back to his room to find it isn't his room any more, the hotel moved him into a smaller room, and threw out his season 5 notes in the process. He cracks just a little bit more, blows up at the hotel manager, who tells him to look through the garbage, which he does, but is unable to find them!

At Claudias next convention a week or so later, she announces that she was fired from the show, at which point JMS recieves tons of hatemail and deaththreats, including people using his home details. A week or so after that convention, Claudia's agent rings up and asks if they are ready to negotiate, at which point they are effectively told to go to hell.

It's only a year later that Claudia finally goes public with the fact that she left rather than was fired.

And that's just the summary, it was a really insanely busy period for the show! I love reading these books.

Offline David

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
I just hope its better than 'Legend of the Rangers'.

I love Babylon 5 but that was rough.

Wow, that failed pilot MOVIE! sucked. Sci-Fi Original to the core. The kung-fu weapon interface scene(s)? The utterly stupid Rangers Never Retreat Under Any Circumstances rule? Truly horrible.

I wonder if anyone ever tried a "We live for the One, we die for the One" drinking game with this. There wouldn't be enough alcohol in the world...

Offline tgeorgic

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 07:00:53 AM »
finally got around to watching my dvd of the lost tales last night and all i could think of was a line bill murray delivered early in scrooged. "Oh my God...does that suck".  characters not acting like their characters would, really bad preachy speaches, and much much more.  anyone else watch it?

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:42 AM »
No like the Film Crew DVD's mine haven't arrived yet. But I haven't seen any comments as harsh as yours, plenty of Lochley sucks comments (but people always hated her) but I never saw any other negative comments about the other 2.

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I blue myself
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 08:09:32 AM »
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:12:31 AM by Mr.Nobody »
I've sort of fused Flashdance with MC Hammer shit.

Offline tgeorgic

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 08:20:32 AM »
i hated that even jms seems to have forgotten that they are tecnomages not actual magicians.  galen couldnt possibly know any of the information he knew in that segment unless it was the author of the story that told him.  as for the first segment, why was it never even suggested that it was a telepath trick.  they acted like it had to be true just because.  just poor writing the whole way through.  he seems to have gone to the lucas school of revisiting your old writings.  oh and for sheridan to even consider the plan they had put together goes totally against his character from the series.  there are so many cool stories to do like the telepath war you mentioned and the story with david sheridan that precedes the battle to free centauri prime, etc.  i am not going to put this dvd with my other babylon 5 dvds just like star trek 5 isnt with my star trek movies...actually i wouldnt have even purchased 5 if there wasnt a rifftrax for it :)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 08:21:40 AM »
I enjoyed the second story more since it involved Sheridan and Galen, two characters that I like.  As opposed to the first story the stakes were high in this one, though they would not be immediately felt.  It feels similar to 'A Call to Arms' but on a smaller scale

See that's a much more common sentiment.

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I blue myself
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 09:01:10 AM »
i hated that even jms seems to have forgotten that they are tecnomages not actual magicians.  galen couldnt possibly know any of the information he knew in that segment unless it was the author of the story that told him.  as for the first segment, why was it never even suggested that it was a telepath trick.  they acted like it had to be true just because.  just poor writing the whole way through.  he seems to have gone to the lucas school of revisiting your old writings.  oh and for sheridan to even consider the plan they had put together goes totally against his character from the series.  there are so many cool stories to do like the telepath war you mentioned and the story with david sheridan that precedes the battle to free centauri prime, etc.  i am not going to put this dvd with my other babylon 5 dvds just like star trek 5 isnt with my star trek movies...actually i wouldnt have even purchased 5 if there wasnt a rifftrax for it :)
I've sort of fused Flashdance with MC Hammer shit.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
man I really shouldn't be reading this since I haven't seen it yet, lol.