Author Topic: LOC 55: The Top 51 Winter Holiday Characters  (Read 33855 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: LOC 55: The Top 51 Winter Holiday Characters
« Reply #150 on: December 24, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
Isn't there anyone who knows all about

#4 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
?

Prof.Linus Van Pelt
Sure,  I can tell you all about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Lights, please: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a Christmas television special produced in stop motion animation by Rankin/Bass. It first aired Sunday, December 6, 1964, on the NBC television network in the USA, and was sponsored by General Electric under the umbrella title of The General Electric Fantasy Hour. The copyright year in Roman numerals was mismarked as MCLXIV (1164) instead of the correct MCMLXIV.

The special was based on the Johnny Marks song by the same name; the song taken from the 1939 poem of the same title written by Marks' brother-in-law, Robert L. May.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since 1972, the special has aired on CBS affiliate television stations with the network unveiling a high-definition, digitally remastered version of the program in 2005. As with A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph no longer airs just once annually, but several times during the Christmas and holiday season. It has been telecast every year since 1964, making it the longest running Christmas TV special, and one of only four 1960s Christmas specials still being telecast - the others being A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Frosty the Snowman.

Sam the Snowman narrates the story of Rudolph, a reindeer who is born at the North Pole with a glowing red nose. His father, Santa's lead reindeer Donner, feels ashamed of his son's nose and forms a cover of mud to hide it. Meanwhile, a North Pole elf named Hermey has his own problem: he wishes to be a dentist instead of an elf who makes toys in Santa's workshop. The Head Elf scolds Hermey for not wanting to be like the other elves, but the young elf refuses to change his interests.

When Rudolph is a year old and still hiding his nose, his father sends him to take-off practice to learn how to fly; the nose cover causing Rudolph to sound as if he has a permanent cold. Two reindeer befriend Rudolph. One is another yearling buck named Fireball, the other is a yearling doe named Clarice. During some horseplay, Fireball inadvertently causes Rudolph's nose cover to pop off. Upon seeing his glowing nose, Fireball backs away in horror saying, "For crying out loud!". After the initial shock wears off, Fireball and the other reindeer ridicule Rudolph and his nose and Coach Comet bans Rudolph from being with the other reindeer saying, "From now on, we won't let Rudolph join in any reindeer games, right? Right!" Clarice is the only reindeer who still likes Rudolph and tries to comfort him. Their interaction, however, is interrupted by Clarice's father, who forbids Clarice from being near Rudolph. Feeling outcast, Rudolph runs away.

Out on his own, Rudolph meets up with Hermey. The two bond after they discover they each have something that makes them unique: they decide they are misfits together. After deciding to be "independent together", they set out to seek "Fame and Fortune", singing the song of the same name. They encounter the Abominable Snow Monster, a white, carnivorous beast that hates Christmas and feeds on anything that gets in his way. After fearing being discovered by him, the two manage to escape the Snow Monster.

On their trek, Rudolph and Hermey meet a prospector named Yukon Cornelius who is gripped by the need to find silver and gold. Now on their journey with Cornelius, the two misfits end up at The Island of Misfit Toys. The island is guarded by a misfit toy named "Charlie in the Box" and ruled by a winged lion named King Moonracer. Hermey and Rudolph request of King Moonracer that he allow them to stay on the island because they are misfits like the toys, however, Moonracer declines their request. After settling down to stay one night there (as allowed by Moonracer), Rudolph decides to leave the island during the night, having realized that his nose is a danger to his friends.

A few months later, Rudolph grows into a handsome young stag and decides to return home. When Rudolph arrives back at his family's cave, he learns from Santa that his parents, along with Clarice, left to go looking for him. Going out again, this time to search for his family, Rudolph finds them and Clarice held captive by the Abominable Snow Monster. Rudolph attempts to rescue them before Hermey and Yukon Cornelius find him and they try to help. They manage to knock out the Abominable while Hermey removes the monster's teeth, but Yukon knocks himself, his sled team, and the monster over a cliff when he stands up to the beast. The others return home, where they tell what happened to the others. Rudolph and Hermey are no longer ridiculed, but are hailed as heroes. The lead elf finally allows Hermey to open a dentist's office the week after Christmas. Yukon and the others make a grand entrance with the Abominable, now "reformed" by Yukon: he has been trained to place a star at the top of Christmas trees without the aid of a stepladder.

While celebrating Rudolph and Hermey's return at Santa's castle, Santa learns that a strong blizzard is approaching and he states that Christmas will have to be cancelled. While telling the gathered crowd the bad news, Rudolph's nose flashes and shines in Santa's eyes - causing him to realize that his "...beautiful, wonderful nose" would help the sleigh get safely through the storm. Santa says to the reindeer, "Rudolph with your nose so bright, won't you guide my sleigh tonight?" Rudolph quickly and gladly answers, "It would be an honor, sir!" The first stop on the Christmas Eve trip is The Island of Misfit Toys to pick up the toys there to be distributed to boys and girls around the world. The final scene shows Rudolph leading the sleigh team and Santa heartily proclaiming, "Merry Christmas, merry Christmas!" as they fly off into the night sky.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DNABEN8sZsE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DNABEN8sZsE</a>

Festival: Christmas
Total Points: 129
10/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 3 (Imrahil)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:26:37 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #151 on: December 24, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
#4 - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer[/center]?

Total Points: 129
1/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 3 (Imrahil)

1 out of 12 lists?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #152 on: December 24, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
Fixed

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #153 on: December 24, 2011, 06:29:36 PM »

#3 - Ebenezer Scrooge
?

Prof.Linus Van Pelt
Sure,  I can tell you all about Ebenezer Scrooge.

Lights, please: Ebenezer Scrooge is the principal character in Charles Dickens's 1843 novel, A Christmas Carol. At the beginning of the novel, Scrooge is a cold-hearted, tight-fisted and greedy man, who despises Christmas and all things which give people happiness. Dickens describes him thus: "The cold within him froze his old features, nipped his pointed nose, made his eyes red, his thin lips blue, and he spoke out shrewdly in his grating voice ..." His last name has come into the English language as a byword for miserliness and misanthropy, traits displayed by Scrooge in the exaggerated manner for which Dickens is well-known. The tale of his redemption by the three Ghosts of Christmas (Ghost of Christmas Past, Ghost of Christmas Present, and Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come) has become a defining tale of the Christmas holiday. Scrooge's catchphrase, "Bah, humbug!" is often used to express disgust with many of the modern Christmas traditions.

In his diaries, Dickens states that Scrooge stems from a grave marker which he saw in 1841, while taking an evening walk in the Canongate Kirkyard in Edinburgh. The headstone was for the vintner Ebenezer Lennox Scroggie, a relative of Adam Smith, who had won the catering contract for the visit of George IV to Edinburgh and the first contract to supply whisky to the Royal Navy. The marker identified Scroggie as a "meal man" (corn merchant), but Dickens misread this as "mean man", due to the fading light and his mild dyslexia. Dickens wrote that it must have "shrivelled" Scroggie’s soul to carry "such a terrible thing to eternity". The grave marker was lost during construction work at part of the kirkyard in 1932.

Several theories have been put forward as to where Dickens got additional inspiration for the character.

One school of thought is that Dickens based Scrooge's views on the poor on those of demographer and political economist Thomas Malthus.

Another is that the minor character Gabriel Grub from The Pickwick Papers was worked up into a more mature characterization (his name stemming from an infamous Dutch miser, Gabriel de Graaf.)

Jemmy Wood, owner of the Gloucester Old Bank and possibly Britain’s first millionaire, was nationally renowned for his stinginess, and may have been another.

The man whom Dickens eventually mentions in his letters  and who strongly resembles the character portrayed by Dickens's illustrator, John Leech, was a noted British eccentric and miser named John Elwes (1714–1789).

The story of A Christmas Carol starts on Christmas Eve in 1843, with Scrooge at his place of business. The book says that Scrooge lives in London, England. Charles Dickens refers to Scrooge as "...a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old sinner!" It is usually assumed that he is a banker or professional money lender. Some recent versions portray him as a solicitor. Whatever his main business is, he seems to have usurious relationships with people of little means. These relationships, along with his lack of charity and shabby treatment of his clerk, Bob Cratchit, seem to be his major vices.

His nephew however, has great regard for Christmas and we are introduced to him early in the story where he unsuccessfully attempts to invite Scrooge to his Christmas dinner party only to be rebuffed by Scrooge with a repeatedly said sentence: "Good afternoon". After his nephew leaves, two charitable men come in and ask Scrooge if he is willing to help them raise a fund to help the poor, but Scrooge refuses and makes unkind comments to the men about the poor: "If they'd rather die they better do it now and decrease the surplus population." and angrily dismisses them.

Scrooge has only disgust for the poor, thinking the world would be better off without them, "decreasing the surplus population," and praise for the Victorian era workhouses. He has a particular distaste for the merriment of Christmas; his single act of kindness is to give his clerk, Bob Cratchit, the day off with pay. Done more as a result of social mores than kindness, Scrooge sees the practice akin to having his pocket picked on an annual basis.

After introducing Scrooge and showing his shabby treatment of his employee, business men, and only living relative, the novel resumes with Scrooge at his residence, intent on spending Christmas Eve alone. While he is preparing to go to bed, he is visited by the ghost of his deceased business partner, Jacob Marley. Marley (who had died seven years earlier on Christmas Eve) spent his life exploiting the poor and as a result is damned to walk the Earth for eternity bound in the chains of his own greed. Marley warns Scrooge that he risks meeting the same fate, and that as a final chance of escape he will be visited by three spirits: Past, Present, and Yet to Come. The rest of the novel acts as a biography and psychological profile, showing his evolution to his current state, and the way he is viewed by others.

As promised, the Ghost of Christmas Past visits Scrooge first and takes him to see his time as a schoolboy many years earlier. Here it is suggested that his father abandoned young Scrooge at his boarding school, even during Christmas. This is relevant to Scrooge, because it shows the beginnings of his lack of socialization and empathy. He does not socialize because he never experienced steady growth in a strong family unit. He does not empathize thanks to the way he was treated: as a child, he was the least of his father's concerns, and this in turn taught him not to feel for fellow humans. In some versions of the story, his father goes to jail for not paying debt – it is hinted that he may have died while in prison. Later the ghost shows how his success in business made him become obsessive and develop a workaholic tendency. His money and work-obsessed personality traits eventually compel Scrooge's fiancée, Belle, to leave him, which further hardens his heart. The death of his younger sister Fan, the one relative who had a close relationship with him, also injures him greatly enough that he loses any love he had for the world. Scrooge has only his nephew left but doesn't particularly care for him, likely due to Scrooge blaming him for his sister's death following childbirth; in some versions Scrooge's father blames Ebenezer for causing his wife's death in childbirth with Fan as the older sibling. It is also shown that Scrooge was an apprentice for Mr. Fezziwig, a warehouse business owner.

The visit by the Ghost of Christmas Past also reveals the origin of Scrooge's neurotic hatred of Christmas; most of the events that negatively affected Scrooge's character occurred during the Christmas holiday season.

One of the sources of his negative ways is the pain he feels for losing his love, Belle. Engaged to be married to her, he keeps pushing back the wedding until his finances are as healthy as he would like; something that, given his insatiable lust for money, he would probably never have. Realizing this, Belle calls off the engagement and eventually marries someone else, causing Scrooge to further withdraw from society and relationships.

Scrooge is then visited by the Ghost of Christmas Present, who shows him the happiness of his nephew's middle-class social circle and the impoverished Cratchit family. The latter have a young son (Tiny Tim) who is lame, yet the family still manages to live happily on the pittance Scrooge pays his clerk. When Scrooge, whose sense of compassion is rapidly resurfacing, asks if Tim will die, the ghost confirms this, but uses Scrooge's past unkind comments to two charitable solicitors against him – suggests "they had better do it now, and decrease the surplus population".

The ghost also warns him of the evils of Ignorance and Want. As the spirit's robe is drawn back Scrooge is shocked to see these two aspects of the human psyche suddenly manifest before him as vicious, terrifying, little children, who are more animal than human in appearance.

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come shows Scrooge the final consequences of his actions one year later. Tiny Tim has died from his illness, leaving the entire Cratchit family in mourning. In addition, Scrooge's solitary life and disdain for those in need will ultimately lead others to find only comfort and happiness from his own death. No one will mourn his passing and his money and possessions will be stolen by the desperate and corrupt, the very people he condemned in life. The only people who feel any emotion are a young couple Scrooge was about to ruin financially. His death, however, allows them the small amount of extra time (while Scrooge's affairs were being settled) to raise the funds to pay off their debt to his estate. His final legacy will be that of a cheap tombstone in an unkempt graveyard. Scrooge then weeps over his own grave, begging the ghost for a chance to change his ways and re-embrace life, before awakening to find it is Christmas morning. He has been given an opportunity to repent after all. Scrooge does so and becomes a model of generosity and kindness, towards his nephew, his neighbours, and even the Cratchits. As the final narration states, "Many laughed to see this alteration in him, but he let them laugh and little heeded them, for he knew that no good thing in this world ever happened, at which some did not have their fill of laughter. His own heart laughed and that was quite enough for him. And it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well if any man alive possessed the knowledge."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cwvywTIAypA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cwvywTIAypA</a>

Total Points: 154
10/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 2 (Compound)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #154 on: December 24, 2011, 06:32:04 PM »
My WHOLE life I thought it was Herbie the misfit elf.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 745
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #155 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:09 PM »
I hate to be a nit-pickler, but again I'd like to point out that I also had Jack Skellington at #4. Interesting that this is the second time I've been tied for highest placement with Cole Stratton....

Anyway, I think we can all agree Jack was a given. I've had the friggin music from that movie stuck inside my head since the first time I saw it. The ironic thing is, I actually had the soundtrack playing when I found out Jack made the list.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #156 on: December 24, 2011, 06:37:27 PM »
My WHOLE life I thought it was Herbie the misfit elf.
And lots of people, aside from Darth and Barnes in fact, think it's Cold Miser. :)

I hate to be a nit-pickler, but again I'd like to point out that I also had Jack Skellington at #4. Interesting that this is the second time I've been tied for highest placement with Cole Stratton....
You did and it is. :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:39:47 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5898
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #157 on: December 24, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
And lots of people, aside from Darth and Barnes in fact, think it's Cold Miser. :)
I actually looked it up to make sure I got the name right.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #158 on: December 24, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »

#2 – The Grinch
?

Prof.Linus Van Pelt
Sure,  I can tell you all about The Grinch.

Lights, please: The Grinch is a fictional character created by Dr. Seuss. He first appeared as the main protagonist in the 1957 children's book, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

The devious, anti-holiday spirit of the character has led to the name "Grinch" becoming a term used to describe a person opposed to Christmas time celebrations or to someone with a coarse, greedy attitude. In fact, a document in the live-action film (the Book of Who) stated that "The term Grinchy shall apply when Christmas spirit is in short supply".

The Grinch has since become an icon of the winter holidays, despite the character's hatred of the season, and has appeared on various forms of memorabilia such as Christmas ornaments, plush dolls, Halloween costumes, and various clothing items.

Although the animated film and all subsequent visual media depict the Grinch as green with yellow eyes, in the original Seuss book he, like everything else, is printed in black, white, and shades of red. He lives in an isolated cave near Whoville, the town in which the original story takes place. His only companion is his faithful dog, Max (a Redbone Coonhound). He despises the Christmas holiday because his heart is "two sizes too small", and hatches a plan to steal the Whos' Christmas gifts and decorations, an act for which he disguises himself in a Santa suit.

In the film versions, the Grinch appears to possess a number of superhuman powers. He is able to lift a sleigh loaded with Whoville's entire supply of presents himself, with the strength "of ten Grinches, plus two." Though the animated special explains this as the Grinch influenced merely by Christmas spirit and his enlarged heart, the live film alludes to the notion that the Grinch was already incredibly strong. As a child, he was shown lifting a Christmas tree over his head and throwing it across the room. He also most likely carved out most of his cave with his bare hands, as the entrance was a rock wall when he was a child. The film also presents a number of other powers. These include his humanly impossible leaps, his inhuman accuracy (shown when throwing letters), his horrible breath, and an implied ability to be able to survive in the cold with little or no protection. He was also shown to be able to consume glass and pottery harmlessly, and seemed to very much enjoy consuming these. He also apparently made soup from toxic sludge. Also in the live-action film, the reason why the Grinch hated Christmas so much was due to a traumatizing childhood memory as an 8-year-old when most of his classmates made fun of him of his beard when he tried to shave it to look his best during one Christmas Day. The mocking laughter of the classmates is what made the Grinch so angry, that he started to take out his rage against the classrom, scaring the classmates away and declaring that he hates Christmas before running away to live in the top of the mountain.

In 1977, Seuss responded to the fan request for more Grinch tales by writing Halloween Is Grinch Night, a Halloween special that aired on ABC. This was followed in 1982, when Marvel green-lit The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat, which was also produced by Dr. Seuss (though under his real name, Ted Geisel). Although not as successful as the original, the two spin-offs both received Emmy Awards. Several episodes of the 1996 Nick Jr. television show The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss featured the Grinch, this time in puppet form, a rare screen appearance for the character without being animated or illustrated.

A 2000 live-action feature film based on the story, directed by Ron Howard and starring Jim Carrey in the title role, was a major financial success, though it received many mixed reviews and holds a 53% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  A video game based on the film, simply entitled The Grinch was released on several consoles and PC in the same year. It was followed in 2007 with the release of a Nintendo DS version that went under the full title of the movie.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XL0uu_q2grc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XL0uu_q2grc</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xkDELa8YSqY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xkDELa8YSqY</a>

Total Points: 170
10/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 1 (D.B. Barnes & Pak-Man)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 05:45:10 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #159 on: December 24, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »

#1 – Santa Claus
?

Prof.Linus Van Pelt
Sure,  I can tell you all about Santa Claus

Lights, please: 'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow
Gave the lustre of mid-day to objects below,
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer,
With a little old driver, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name;
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donder and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky,
So up to the house-top the coursers they flew,
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too.
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my hand, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a peddler just opening his pack.
His eyes -- how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly,
That shook, when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QSadhYf6ZEo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QSadhYf6ZEo</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni04_SF-HRQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ni04_SF-HRQ</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rxonNmUjvKg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rxonNmUjvKg</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm_HUhHKWC0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm_HUhHKWC0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0h15bS70dNM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0h15bS70dNM</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DeNhjPaP53I" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DeNhjPaP53I</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcQI0S96jR0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/OcQI0S96jR0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/In3sApWlY1s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/In3sApWlY1s</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aCv7__nUb0M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aCv7__nUb0M</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8hY85lqDvmw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8hY85lqDvmw</a>

Total Points: 199
11/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 1 (Tripe, Compound & Imrahil)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #160 on: December 24, 2011, 07:25:01 PM »
And now I'm off to watch elf. :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #161 on: December 24, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »

#5 - Jack Skellington

Total Points: 128
7/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 4 (ColeStratton & CJones)

Had Jack at #13. I generally dislike musicals, but I just can't help but love that movie. His populairty is clearly widespread, too.

I won't rehash the argument about him being Christmas or Halloween (he's not Christmas), but what the hell is on jack's arm? Was he fisting the blob?

:D

#3 - Ebenezer Scrooge

Total Points: 154
10/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 2 (Compound)

You just knew Scrooge was gonna kick ass. I had him at #5. My favorite Scrooge is Mr. Magoo Scrooge. Man, I loved that as a kid. I should watch that again; haven't seen it for years.

#2 – The Grinch

Total Points: 170
10/12 Lists
Highest Placement: 1 (D.B. Barnes)

Oh, hell yeah. My favorite christmas character! Another great childhood memory. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas always made me tear up.

#1 – Santa Claus

11/12 Lists

Okay, who the hell didn't vote for Santa?!?

Here's my list:

1. The Grinch
2. The Abominable Snowman
3. Buddy the Elf

4. Sam the Snowman
5. Ebenezer Scrooge

6. Mr. Hankey
7. Yukon Cornelius
8. Horror Claus
9. Clark Griswold
10. Gizmo
11. Ralphie Parker
12. Heatmiser
13. Jack Skellington
14. The Krampus
15. Frosty the Snowman

16. Marcus (Bad Santa)
17. Snow Miser
18. Clarence the Angel
19. Bob Cratchit
20. Jack Frost
21. Santa Claus
22. Pitch

23. Cindy Lou Who
24. Tiny Tim
25. Old Man Winter

Not bad. Although, I'm a little disappointed Mr. Hankey didn't make the cut.  :(

Top-notch work, Tripe. I think The Krampus has set the bar for all future LOC commentators. This list was a treat!

:clap:
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline CJones

• Liked: 745
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #162 on: December 24, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »

11/12 Lists

Wow. Considering I know I didn't have (non-Futurama, non-Invader Zim) Santa on my list, I must be the one the Krampus will be coming for. I feel honored.... sort of.

I'm a little surprised we got the Ghosts of Christmases Future and Present, but not the Ghost of Christmas Past (unless I missed it). I didn't vote for any of them myself. I went with the trio of Futurama holiday characters instead to pad out my list. Seemed more... multicultural.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2011, 07:52:44 PM »
Good list!  And I'm pleasantly surprised to see Buddy the Elf make it to the top ten.  

Krampus definitely stole the show.  I will beat a small child in his honor!
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
Good list!  And I'm pleasantly surprised to see Buddy the Elf make it to the top ten.  

Krampus definitely stole the show.  I will beat a small child in his honor!

Is that a euphemism?

It's going to have to be, I'm tired and I just want to go to sleep.

This was a great job, Tripe. I really enjoyed reading your commentary and the Krampus bits were downright inspired. Very well done, and thank you for doing this!

Here's my list. By the end I was really scraping the bottom of the holiday character barrel. I had a hard time coming up with a bunch of different names.

1. Baby Jesus
2. Krampus
3. Der Belsnickle (Pennsylvania Dutch Santa)
4. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
5. Abominable Snow Monster (from the Rankin-Bass Rudolph)
6. Buddy the Elf
7. Santa Claus
8. Charlie in the Box (from the Rankin-Bass Rudolph)
9. The Grinch
10. Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come
11. Christmas Shoes kid
12. Jack Skellington
13. Jack Frost
14. Ebenezer Scrooge
15. King Moon Razer (from Rankin-Bass Rudolph)
16. Max (Grinch's dog)
17. Hermie/Herbie the elf
18. Heat Miser
19. Cold Miser
20. Old Man Winter
21. Pitch (from the MST3k Santa Claus movie)
22. Mrs. Claus
23. Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey
24. Dan Fogelberg's old lover
25. King Herod
Bonhead #2
fs!!