Author Topic: "The Black Donnellys"  (Read 2073 times)

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
"The Black Donnellys"
« on: February 16, 2007, 03:20:36 PM »
This show, due to air in a couple weeks(?), looks pretty interesting. It seems like the Irish-Catholic version of the Godfather, only more drawn out and focused on how the "Michael Corleone" character slowly turns to the darkside (at least that's how I interpret it).

Not saying this looks like the Irish version of the Sopranos, it just seems to have that slow inner-turmoil sort of story, enveloped in an environment of urban crime. I think it'll be worth checking out.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
Re: "The Black Donnellys"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
   I wonder what it says about NBC's confidence in the show that they're holding it until after Feb. sweeps.

The previews look OK, but has there ever been a hit show featuring Irish Catholics?  (I am one.)

And where's Studio 60 going?  It's not a perfect show but I do enjoy it.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 05:51:26 AM »
"Boondock Saints:  The TV Show"?

As a half German, half Irish Catholic, I say, "watch this show and shut your gob".

Every ethnic group has their organized crime and the Italian organized crime has been done to death.   Might be time to see some Irish or Russian crime stories.

Offline Rufus T

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:48:27 AM »
 I think this show looks pretty good. And since it's about people with Irish heritage then maybe we'll hear some Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphy songs played. As a gentleman with some Irish heritage of his own I am very interested in how this show turns out.
Aaahh! This movie just throws you violently into the next scene!

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »
Yeah - I just like how it looks incredibly character driven. When I saw the preview for it during "The Twenty" before "The Departed" a couple weeks ago, I thought, "This looks pretty cool!"

It makes you wonder how far they can go with a story like this one, tho. Anyway - I'll be watching it. When does it start?
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:52:05 PM »
  Next Monday after Heroes.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »

Yahoo! offered a free online preview of the entire premier episode the other day. I figured that i would check it out later, but when i went back to look for it... it was already yanked. Guess i'll halfta' wait for it to debut on TV now~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 02:19:24 PM »
You can watch full episodes here.

I saw it about a week ago, and while I was a little bored by the beginning, it really picked up at the middle and it had a fantastic ending. Very Godfather-esque.

Although, all you guys probably saw it last night.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 02:43:09 PM »
Agreed - well worth following at least for the first season. I'm curious to see how the issues play out - it seems like maybe they might have resolutions come /too/ soon.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 03:15:30 PM »
Sadly, the reviews I read on this said the following episodes were pretty weak.   Oh well, if I had liked it, NBC would have cancelled it anyway.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
   I think they also said that NBC is rerunning it Thursday night in ER's slot if you want to recommend it to someone who doesn't like to watch tv shows online.