Author Topic: List of Crap 54: Top 63 Second Bananas Countdown  (Read 35416 times)

anais.jude

Re: List of Crap 54: Top 63 Second Bananas Countdown
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
I just don't think he should be a second banana. I want him to grow up and say "Damnit, Bart. I am an awesome person and I am sick of you treating me like shit"

Watchman

« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
That's okay, I forgot Milhouse.

I did that on purpose

Can you teach me the will to forget?

anais.jude

« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
That's okay, I forgot Milhouse.

I did that on purpose
Dick.

No, I have a vagina. That is why I am so cool....and sexy

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4983
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
Great Second Bananas Who Didn't Make the List

Warning: this will continue to spoil what didn't make the list:

Romanadveratrelundar

I like this one best.  But still, there's always the other one

Harvey Korman

So was he Tim Conway's sidekick or Carol Burnett's?

Handy

Personally, I think that One Ton is Handy's henchman, but I guess he was the Terror's #2.  After Stalin.

Tonto

The best Tonto... Jon Lovitz!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ubem25WyN8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ubem25WyN8</a>

Kid Omni-Man

He's a little more intense than some boy sidekicks.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2011, 06:40:44 PM »
Now for the TOP 5!  EXPECT SURPRISES!  OR NOT!  WHATEVS!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
5 – Mr Spock

92 points             
4 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #2 Anais.Whatever, Gunflyer

Sycophancy Level: 5/10   
Spock is a fictional character in the Star Trek media franchise. First portrayed by Leonard Nimoy in the original Star Trek series, Spock also appears in the animated Star Trek series, two episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation, seven of the Star Trek feature films, and numerous Star Trek books, comics, and video games. In the 2009 film Star Trek, Nimoy reprised his role alongside Zachary Quinto, who played a younger, alternate-timeline version of the character, with Jacob Kogan playing Spock as a child.

Spock serves aboard the starship Enterprise, serving as science officer and first officer, and later as commanding officer of two iterations of the vessel. Spock's mixed human-Vulcan heritage serves as an important plot element in many of the character's appearances. Along with James T. Kirk and Leonard McCoy, he is one of the three central characters in the original Star Trek series and its films. After retiring from Starfleet, Spock serves as a Federation ambassador, contributing toward the détente between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. In his later years, he serves as Federation ambassador to the Romulan Empire and becomes involved in the ill-fated attempt to save Romulus from a supernova.

The character was initially depicted as the USS Enterprise's science officer for the original pilot, "The Cage" (1964). Although "The Cage" did not air, Spock's eleven years of service under the command of Captain Christopher Pike are referenced and depicted in "The Menagerie" (1966) and other episodes. The character's first broadcast appearance is in "The Man Trap" (1966), which introduces him as the ship's science officer and first officer under Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner). Star Trek depicts a "troika" of Spock, Kirk, and Doctor Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley); while McCoy often acts as Kirk's conscience, Spock offers the captain an emotionally detached, logical perspective. The character also offers an "outsider's" perspective on "the human condition".

Star Trek also presents elements of Spock's upbringing and family. "Journey to Babel" (1967) depicts his parents: Sarek (Mark Lenard), the Vulcan ambassador to the Federation, andAmanda Grayson (Jane Wyatt), a human. Spock's decision to join Starfleet, rather than attend the Vulcan Science Academy, ran contrary to his father's wishes. The relationship between Spock and Sarek is strained and often turbulent, although rooted in an underlying respect and carefully restrained love for each other. The 1973 animated series episode "Yesteryear" shows seven-year-old Spock choosing to pursue a Vulcan lifestyle devoted to logic and suppressing emotion.

At the beginning of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), Spock is no longer in Starfleet, having resigned and returned home to pursue the Vulcan discipline of Kolinahr. Spock is unable to complete the Kolinahr ritual after he senses the coming of V'ger, and rejoins Starfleet to aid the Enterprise crew in their mission.[1] Spock, promoted to captain, is commanding officer of the Enterprise at the beginning of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982). At the film's end, he transfers his "katra" - the sum of his memories and experience - to McCoy, and then sacrifices himself to save the ship and its crew from Khan Noonien Singh (Ricardo Montalbán). The sequel, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), focuses on his crewmates' quest to recover Spock's body, resurrected by the Genesis matrix in the previous film. At the film's conclusion, Spock's revived body is reunited with his katra. Spock is next seen in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986), which depicts his recovery from the after-effects of his resurrection. In the film's final scene, he joins the crew of the newly commissioned USS Enterprise-A under Kirk's command. In Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989), Spock and the Enterprise crew confront the renegade Sybok, Spock's half-brother. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) reunites the Enterprise crew on a mission to prevent war from erupting between the Federation and Klingon Empire. Spock serves as a special envoy to broker peace with the Klingons after a natural disaster devastates their homeworld.

Torgo the White’s Annual Progress Report

Child psychologist actually put on elf ears and replaced him for a while Mr Spock was tied up in his closet.  No one noticed.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cFods1KSWsQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cFods1KSWsQ</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:01:09 PM by Johnny Unusual »

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5621
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2011, 06:46:28 PM »
The best Tonto... Jon Lovitz!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ubem25WyN8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5Ubem25WyN8</a>
:D :D Jon Lovitz is awesome!

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2011, 06:49:34 PM »
4 – Dr. John Watson

102 points             
7 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #1 Tripe Hound Redux

Sycophancy Level: 9/10   
John H. Watson, M.D. (born 7 July 1852), known as Dr. Watson, is a character in the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Watson is Sherlock Holmes's friend, assistant and sometime flatmate, and is the first person narrator of all but four stories in the Sherlock Holmes canon.

Doctor Watson's first name is mentioned on only three occasions. Part one of the very first Sherlock Holmes story, A Study in Scarlet, is subtitled 'Being a reprint from the Reminiscences of John H. Watson, M.D., Late of the Army Medical Department'. In 'The Problem of Thor Bridge', Watson says that his dispatch box is labeled 'John H. Watson, M.D'. Watson's wife calls him 'James' in The Man with the Twisted Lip; according to Dorothy L. Sayers, she is referring to his middle name Hamish (which means James in Scots). In every other instance, he is called either Doctor or Watson, or both together, and his first name is never used again.

In the debut Holmes story A Study in Scarlet, Watson, as the narrator, tells us that he had received his medical degree from the University of London in 1878, and had subsequently gone on to train as an Army surgeon. He then joined British forces in India, saw service in Afghanistan, was wounded at the Battle of Maiwand (27 July 1880), and after months of recovery, was sent back to England on the troopship HMS Orontes. In England the action of the story begins, presumably in late 1880 or early 1881. He describes meeting Holmes, their subsequent sharing of rooms at 221B Baker Street, his attempts to discover the profession of his taciturn companion, Holmes's eventual acceptance of Watson, and the events surrounding their first case together. Watson describes Holmes and his methods in detail, but in too romantic and sentimental a manner for Holmes's taste. In time, they become close friends. In The Sign of the Four, John Watson meets Mary Morstan, who becomes his wife. In "The Adventure of the Empty House", the first story after Holmes's return (after he had been thought dead for three years), Watson states that "Holmes had while away learned of my own sad bereavement and his sympathy was shown through his manner rather than in his words." This indicates that Watson has lost someone significant to death, almost certainly his wife; that fact is confirmed when he moves back to Baker Street to share lodgings with Holmes, as he had done as a bachelor. Conan Doyle made mention of a second wife in "The Adventure of the Illustrious Client" and "The Adventure of the Blanched Soldier", but this wife was never named, described, or explained.

Dr. Watson is a physician of some experience (as was Conan Doyle). He had served as an Assistant Surgeon of the Army Medical Department (attached to the Berkshires) inAfghanistan, but he was discharged following an injury received in the line of duty during the Battle of Maiwand. (Watson gives two separate locations for Jezail bullet wound he received while serving in the British Army. In A Study in Scarlet, he states, "I was struck on the shoulder by a Jezail bullet, which shattered the bone and grazed the subclavian artery." In The Sign of the Four,[7] Watson informs us that he "sat nursing my wounded leg. I had had a Jezail bullet through it some time before, and though it did not prevent me from walking it ached wearily at every change of the weather." "The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor" contains the only other reference to the injury, "the Jezail bullet which I had brought back in one of my limbs as a relic of my Afghan campaign throbbed with dull persistence." Many scholars suggest that Watson was wounded twice, with the shoulder wound more immediately threatening his life and the wound in his leg not so serious at the time but later becoming a source of persistent discomfort.) Watson had been in danger of being captured by the enemy after the battle, but was saved by his orderly, Murray, who threw the doctor on a pack-horse and thus helped to ensure his escape from the field. Watson's character may have been based upon the 66th regiment's Medical Officer, Surgeon Major A F Preston, who also was wounded in the Battle of Maiwand. It is possible that Conan Doyle was inspired by the survival of another physician in Afghanistan, Dr. William Brydon, although that event occurred in 1842 during the First Anglo-Afghan War.

Watson often uses his service revolver in the cases. He is a crack shot, apparently a better marksman than Holmes. Oddly, in the most notable use of Watson's service revolver, the gun is never discharged; instead, in "The Problem of Thor Bridge", Holmes uses the revolver to test his theory of how the homicide occurred and why there is a curious, unexplained gash in the stonework of the bridge.

When John Watson first returns from Afghanistan, he is "as thin as a lath and as brown as a nut." He is usually described as strongly built, of a stature either average or slightly above average, with a thick, strong neck and a small moustache. Watson used to be an athlete, as it is mentioned in "The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire" that he once played rugby for Blackheath, but he fears his physical condition has declined since that point.

With no one there to judge him, he’s finally ready that slash fiction based on his best friend.  OK, maybe not, but if you read his stories he’s practically a step away from declaring Holmes a personal god and jamming his tongue down Sherlock’s throat.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0EvnEHzRPI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/z0EvnEHzRPI</a>

anais.jude

« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
Spock's sycophancy level is a 10 if there ever was one. I originally did not have Spock on my list because I thought his character was far too strong to be considered a second banana; however, I watched Wrath of Khan one weekend (something that occurs rather often) and the specch Spock gave defined himself as a second banana. Then I remember what he did for Captain Pike and I realized Spock's loyalty and second banan-ish was a defining moment of his character. Another reason Star Trek is so awesome. They can take a character like Spock and make his loyalty only one part of his complexity.

I love Star Trek so much

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2011, 06:59:55 PM »
It's tricky stuff.  I feel that when you get to 7 you are a paragon of Second Banana-hood.  Past 7 and it stops being cute, like when you find out that someone who cares about you might have moved into "making a shrine of you in the basement: territory.  But it does get tricky.

Thinking about it though, I'm changing Spock to a 5.  He's far too logical to move further than that.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
3 – Andy Richter

127 points             
7 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #3 Anais.Whatever, Asbestos Bill

Sycophancy Level: 5/10   
Paul Andrew "Andy" Richter (born October 28, 1966) is an American actor, writer, comedian, and late night talk show announcer. He is best known for his role as the sidekick of Conan O'Brien on each of the host's programs: Late Night and The Tonight Show on NBC, and Conan on TBS. He is also known for his voice work in the Madagascar films and for starring in the sitcoms Quintuplets, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and Andy Barker, P.I..

Richter, the third of four children, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. His mother, Glenda Swanson (née Palmer), was a kitchen cabinet designer, and his father, Laurence R. Richter, taught Russian at Indiana University for more than 32 years. Richter was raised inYorkville, Illinois. He is of Swedish and German descent. In high school, he was elected Prom King.

In the late 1980s, Richter attended Columbia College Chicago as a film major. While at Columbia he learned the basics of comedic acting and writing by starring in numerous student films and videos. After leaving Columbia in 1988 Richter worked as a production assistant on commercial shoots in Chicago. In 1989, he began taking classes at Chicago's Improv Olympic. His quick wit and acting skills catapulted him from student to "House Performer" within a year. Richter branched out working with "The Comedy Underground" and the Annoyance Theater.

Two fellow Annoyance members (Beth Cahill and Melanie Hutsell, who played Marcia and Jan Brady in the "Real Live Brady Bunch" stage show) were hired as cast members on Saturday Night Live. With friends on SNL, Andy was able to get into the after-show parties where he met SNL writer Robert Smigel. Two years later, Smigel hired Richter for a new show he was producing, Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Originally hired as a writer, Richter was upgraded to Conan O'Brien's sidekick just weeks before the show began airing in 1993, after it became clear the two had a strong rapport, something Smigel noticed after sending Richter to join O'Brien on stage during a practice run-through, hoping to calm the host down when it became obvious that Conan was very nervous on camera.

After seven years with the show, Richter departed from Late Night after his final show on May 26, 2000. He later said of the decision, "After seven years of being on the show, I got itchy. I have a philosophy that if you enjoy good fortune, rather than sit there and say, 'Oh, that's fine, this amount is good enough for me,' you should try and push it. You should see how much you can stretch your good fortune. And I was curious."

Richter left his post at Late Night in 2000 to pursue a career acting in films and television. His first major venture, Fox's Andy Richter Controls the Universe, was canceled after two mid-season runs. His next Fox sitcom, Quintuplets, lasted one season. His most recent television series was Andy Barker P.I., which was co-written and executively produced by Conan O'Brien. In the series Richter played an accountant who could not attract clients. After a woman comes to his office thinking he is the former tenant, a private investigator, she asks him to find her husband who she thinks faked his death. Barker decides to pursue this job and becomes a private detective in earnest, and continues to do his accounting job, which seems to pick up as the series goes on. The series played on NBC, with all six episodes in the first season on NBC.com. The series was canceled after very poor ratings despite being named by Entertainment Weekly as one of the Top Ten Shows of 2007. He also guest starred on the T.V. series Monk

On February 24, 2009 it was announced that Richter would be joining Conan O'Brien once again as the announcer for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien in Los Angeles. Richter frequently appeared in comedy sketches on the show and often commented and interacted with Conan during the opening monologue; he was also part of the show's writing staff. In mid-December 2009, Richter also began joining Conan on the couch during the celebrity interviews, much like he did in his former sidekick role on Late Night. Richter said he enjoyed having a steady paycheck again and not having to deal with production companies while developing television shows. Richter said, "Now I'm so happy to be back and making TV every night, not asking permission from somebody and waiting six months to get their sparklingly clear and cogent notes. And then wait another month for them to get back from Hawaii and say, 'Yes, now we can go make television.' I felt like a plumber who kept going into the building and saying, 'Can we put some pipes together?' and watching my wrenches gather dust."

When Conan returned to the air as host of his self-titled TBS show, Richter followed. He again reprised his roles as announcer, writer, interactor during the monologue, and participant in comedy sketches.

The best talk show sidekick still active.  Unfortunately, he also might be the last (band leaders don’t count).

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/drMRNtbuarQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/drMRNtbuarQ</a>

anais.jude

« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
I think this is the best showing I have ever had on a list

I love you Andy

Russell

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Milhouse! Woo! But believe me just because I think he's awesome doesn't mean I'm a fan of Fallout boy, and I mean the band, not the character.
I think this is the best showing I have ever had on a list
I love you Andy
If you love Andy Richter so much why don't you marry him?

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
Milhouse! Woo! But believe me just because I think he's awesome doesn't mean I'm a fan of Fallout boy, and I mean the band, not the character.

I'm pretty sure being a fan of Fall Out Boy is impossible.  It's like being a fan of beige.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #164 on: November 30, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
2 – TV’s Frank

137 points             
8 of 15 lists   
Top Vote: #1 Darth Geek

Sycophancy Level: 7/10   
TV's Frank, played by Frank Conniff, is a fictional character, mad scientist Dr. Clayton Forrester's lab assistant in the television comedy series Mystery Science Theater 3000. He appears at the beginning of Season 2, with the departure of Forrester's earlier co-scientist Dr. Laurence Erhardt, and continues through Season 6. According to The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, Dr. Forrester discovered Frank working at a nearby Arby's. Early on he was simply called Frank; later he acquired the more ostentatious name which is a reference to how a TV personality would sometimes be introduced as "TV's" so-and-so on talk shows and other programming. Frank wears a black chauffeur's uniform and his hairstyle includes a spit-curl (resulting in a resemblance to that of Marlon Brando's Jor-El role in the 1978 Superman film). He has an unusual habit of calling Dr. Forrester "Steve". He is listed in Deep 13's employee records as "Frank, TV's," indicating "Frank" is actually his surname and "TV's" his given name.

Little is known about Frank's past save that he attended Harriet Tubman High School (a real high school in Compton, California), where he was held back at least twice. While working at Arby's, Frank was allegedly nicknamed "Zeppo" due to his supposed sense of humor, somewhat ironically Zeppo being the least funny Marx Brother. Frank had a surprisingly large personal fortune which surfaced whenever a large amount of money was required for a particular skit.

TV's Frank's first MST3K episode was episode #201 Rocketship X-M, where, apparently still in his Arby's mindset, he took fast-food orders and, rather to Dr. Forrester's annoyance, almost brought the Satellite of Love down so the crew could "dine in." His last regular appearance was episode #624 Samson vs. the Vampire Women, during which he was assumed into "Second-Banana Heaven", where sidekicks and henchmen could live in a peaceful paradise without fear of reprisal from their cruel masters, by the angel Torgo the White. Dr. Forrester was actually very saddened when Frank left him for Second Banana Heaven, even lamenting his loss in a song entitled "Who Will I Kill?". Frank later appeared to the despondent Forrester as an otherworldly entity and "reconciled" with him, even agreeing to "push the button" one last time. After his departure, he was immortalized in the following year's Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie as a door handle (Door 2) on the way to the theater.

Frank also made a guest appearance in the Season 10 opener Soultaker, having gotten a job in the afterlife as a Soultaker after complaining that Second-Banana Heaven was "too political" and that Pat Buttram "had it in" for him. (This episode also features a cameo by Joel Hodgson, the show's creator, who played SOL resident Joel Robinson for the show's first six years.) In this appearance, he took the soul of Bobo and played ring toss with it in Castle Forrester.

During TV's Frank's tenure, the catchphrase "Push the button, Frank!" was a staple of most shows and the last thing heard before the credits would roll.

Frank usually serves as a foil to his evil boss, Dr. Forrester, and is frequently on the receiving end of many of Forrester's experiments or punishments. He is subjected to many painful deaths but always returns alive and well shortly afterwards; whether this rapid recovery is a quality bestowed upon him by Dr. Forrester or a talent that Frank always possessed (making him uniquely qualified as a mad scientist's guinea pig) was never explained, since it was, after all, "just a show." In the episode Laserblast, Pearl finds his spare head in a box, Dr. Forrester having made Frank's head explode years earlier in Gunslinger. Occasionally, however, Frank gets revenge on his taskmaster by directly or indirectly causing Forrester harm. One significant example of sidekick payback occurs in episode #619 Red Zone Cuba, when Frank, supposedly owing the mob "50 large", passes Forrester off as himself, earning the evil scientist two severe beatings and an episode-long stint in full-body bandages.

Frank participates in the weekly invention exchanges that are primarily a feature of the Joel Robinson years. His first invention was a rip-off of Joel's invention, the BGC-1.9 drum machine. He repeated his thievery by introducing the "Cheese Phone", which Joel had supposedly recorded in his notes from the '70s. Unlike Forrester (who rarely even remembered Crow and Servo's names), Frank took a liking to Joel (and later Mike) and the 'Bots, who reciprocated his friendship.

In Season 6, Dr. Forrester discovers that his mother, Mrs. Pearl Forrester, has had a strong friendship with TV's Frank that he'd been unaware of. When she comes to visit, she winds up spending all her time with Frank and neglecting her son, suggesting some of the formative influences that made Dr. Forrester an evil scientist.

Still Soultaking. He’s coming for you Bob Barker!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3nHqjrBFSE4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3nHqjrBFSE4</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 07:20:13 PM by Johnny Unusual »