Author Topic: Pern a Bit More Empty  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Pern a Bit More Empty
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:59:26 PM »
R.I.P. Anne McCaffrey, Creator of Pern and The Ship Who Sang

Anne McCaffrey wasn't just the inventor of Pern, the world where a whole society is based on dragon-riding. She was also an incredibly influential author who helped transform the way science fiction and fantasy authors wrote about women, and the way all of us thought about bodies and selfhood. She was the first woman to win a Hugo Award and a Nebula Award, as well as a Grand Master of science fiction.

Besides the Pern books, McCaffrey wrote the classic space-faring novel The Ship Who Sang, in which a severely disabled girl becomes the core of a starship, or Brainship, with her mind controlling all its major functions. McCaffrey's novel provided a startling new way to think about personhood and the nature of the mind/body connection, but also helped pave the way for a whole subgenre of posthuman space opera, in which heavily modified humans explore space.

Sorry to hear this.I enjoyed many of her novels.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
Anne McCaffrey, 1926-2011 RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 06:26:34 PM »
One of the best fantasy/sci-fi authors of our time just passed away:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45409015/ns/today-books/#.TsxYwSbggR8

Prolific science fiction and fantasy author Anne McCaffrey died Monday at her home in Ireland shortly after suffering a stroke. She was 85.

McCaffrey published nearly 100 books in her lifetime and was best known for her popular “Dragonriders of Pern” novels. In her bio on her website, McCaffrey shared the following insights about her approach to writing and her first novel, which was published in 1967:

“Her first novel, ‘Restoree,’ was written as a protest against the absurd and unrealistic portrayals of women in s-f novels in the ‘50s and early ‘60s. It is, however, in the handling of broader themes and the worlds of her imagination, particularly the two series ‘The Ship Who Sang’ and the fourteen novels about the ‘Dragonriders of Pern,’ that Ms. McCaffrey’s talents as a story-teller are best displayed.”

May the dragons of Pern ferry her to the heavens.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:31:12 PM by Raefire »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Pern a Bit More Empty
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:56 PM »
Oh that's a shame I remember really liking her stories when I was younger. :(

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: Pern a Bit More Empty
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »
AHHH damn.  She will be missed.  I loved her books when I was younger.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: Anne McCaffrey, 1926-2011 RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »
Tis a sad day for fantasy.