Author Topic: Tomorrow Is A Latter Day (The Book Of Mormon-- The Musical)  (Read 3650 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Tomorrow Is A Latter Day (The Book Of Mormon-- The Musical)
« on: November 15, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
I didn't see any other threads dedicated specifically to this (apologies if there are), so I wondered who else here is a fan of The Book Of Mormon-- The Musical.  If you haven't seen it or heard the soundtrack, do yourself a favor and pick it up.  It's Trey Parker and Matt Stone in top form, with one of the creators of Avenue Q along for the ride.  The music is catchy as heck, and the lyrics are, of course, a combination of extremely clever and appropriately inappropriate.  And it seems like it's one of the first truly original musicals to come along in a long while, in that its story is not based largely on something that existed in another medium, and there are no big name celebrities in the cast. 

Anyway, enough of my gabbing, what does everyone else think?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3620
  • All joking a salad.
Re: Tomorrow Is A Latter Day (The Book Of Mormon-- The Musical)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
I am Mormon, so feel free to ask any questions too.  :)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 06:35:07 PM »
I am Mormon, so feel free to ask any questions too.  :)

What's the deal with the underwear?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:11:20 PM »

Think of it as a yarmulke.  They're supposed to be a constant reminder of God.  They also help you to dress more modestly.  People call them "magic underwear" as if they are some magic armor, but that's not the case.  They're just supposed to be reminders.

Honestly, for a guy, they really aren't that weird.  It's really not very different from wearing a typical undershirt and boxer-briefs....what I would wear anyway.  For a girl, it's more of a pain than anything, but it can be similar to an undershirt and boxer-briefs.  They do have odder styles to choose from (one piece, different fabrics, weird swoop necks), and older people may go for these.  If you've ever seen images online, they're usually these kinds, and they look like some weird granny panties....and they are for grannies.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 07:19:53 PM »

Think of it as a yarmulke.  They're supposed to be a constant reminder of God.  They also help you to dress more modestly.  People call them "magic underwear" as if they are some magic armor, but that's not the case.  They're just supposed to be reminders.

Honestly, for a guy, they really aren't that weird.  It's really not very different from wearing a typical undershirt and boxer-briefs....what I would wear anyway.  For a girl, it's more of a pain than anything, but it can be similar to an undershirt and boxer-briefs.  They do have odder styles to choose from (one piece, different fabrics, weird swoop necks), and older people may go for these.  If you've ever seen images online, they're usually these kinds, and they look like some weird granny panties....and they are for grannies.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I wonder if it's supposed be more of reminder when putting your clothes or taking them off?  Or maybe both? ;)

Q and A with Mormon Kete!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 07:43:06 PM »
I wonder if it's supposed be more of reminder when putting your clothes or taking them off?  Or maybe both? ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head.  :)

I haven't seen the play (I'd really like to), but I've heard all the music, and I've read the plot on wikipedia.  I wasn't charmed with it like most people, but I assume a lot of that is because I haven't actually seen it.  Overall, I was mostly bothered with all the talk of baby abuse in it.  As a Mormon, I have a few complaints with the way Mormons are betrayed.  First, Mormon's rarely go around telling people that they're going to hell.  Strictly speaking, Mormon's don't even believe in a hell.  Second, there's a song about "turning off a light" and it makes it sound like you're expected to be emotionless jerks.  That may be a trick to use if you're thinking about doing something bad, but not to rid yourself of any emotion.  Third, at the end, the Mormon leaders come to visit, get offended, and tell the tribe that they are not Mormons.  That wouldn't happen.  They may try to correct the wrong things they learned, but they would still be more than welcome in the church

Otherwise, I am pleased with the way that Matt and Trey usually address the church.  They don't believe in it at all, and they think it's silly, but I think that they still respect it.  I'm glad that they didn't go for easy (not to mention lame and incorrect) targets like polygamy.  Considering it's an entire play, and those are my biggest complaints, I'm impressed.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
I've been watching a series of interviews with the cast and creators and they all seem incredibly passionate about the show.  Which is a definite plus, a show about faith wouldn't work that well if the people involved didn't believe in it.  

Also, Andrew Rannells apparently wears the underwear for at least part of the show.

I find it kinda surprising that there hasn't been that much controversy over the show.  From what I've read, the church itself hasn't said anything more critical of it than basically "It's a fun way to spend an evening, but if you want real fulfillment, you should read the actual Book Of Mormon".

I guess I'm more familiar with religions getting all butthurt and staging boycotts and protests and in some cases *cough* Scientology *cough* filing lawsuits against or threatening to or actually killing anyone who says anything that could even be vaguely interpreted as negative or inaccurate against them or about their religion.

I mean, Godspell doesn't say anything negative about Jesus or Christianity, and people protested that when it first came out because it didn't explicity portray the Resurrection.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Mormons have received gentler treatment from you than Scientologists. Do you feel as if one religion is inherently more absurd than the other?
Stone: Look at the reaction the Mormon Church had to this musical, and look at the reactions of Scientology to our episode. That’s all you need to know. One is a serious religion that people honestly believe in and tries to make people better, and one is something else.

The Mormons basically said, this show tries to entertain you for an evening, but Mormonism changes peoples’ lives for eternity.
Stone: That’s a very bighearted, perfect First Amendment-loving reaction. Prop. 8 aside, I wish more religions acted like the Mormon Church.

Like I said, the church is very hesitant to condemn anything to hell or anywhere else.  There are many beliefs and many things that are expected of members, but the church really believes that everyone has free agency, and they can really do whatever they want.  And in regards to Prop 8.  That was the doing of a lot of local leaders and not the general church leadership.  Personally, I support equal marriage rights, and that doesn't hurt my membership at all.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 09:10:16 PM »
I am Mormon, so feel free to ask any questions too.  :)

What's with owning a planet?

Also, glad to see I'm not the only one who's heard it and didn't immediately fall in love with it. I think I, too, just need to see the show for myself. Also, I think I was not prepared for a lot of the subject matter (South Park looks tame by comparison imo). And, just for the record, Avenue Q might be my favorite play ever so I may have had my expectations too high (along with all the praise it's gotten).

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »
What's with owning a planet?

Instead of believing that you go to heaven and play a harp all the time, the belief is that heaven is more of an eternal opportunity for self improvement.  If you are immortal, constantly learning new things, and have a complete understanding of science and physics, eventually you would become god-like.

shodan

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 05:41:23 AM »
are you a really involved with the religion? or are you like me and my family who just get dragged  to church on all the important holidays (mostly by my grandmother).

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 06:15:08 AM »
are you a really involved with the religion? or are you like me and my family who just get dragged  to church on all the important holidays (mostly by my grandmother).

I was "inactive" for a couple years when I was a teenager, I didn't go on a mission, but I've been fully involved for the last 12 years.  I go every week, and I have two "callings".  Everything works on a volunteer (non-paid) basis.  Every job is called a "calling".  I've been a:
Primary teacher (the Primary is the organization for kids 3-12),
Elders Quorum President (an Elders Quorum is all the men in a Ward (like a parish) from 18 to 40's),
Ward Mission Leader (coordinates the efforts of the missionaries within the Ward boundaries), and
Bishopric Councilor (the Bishop is like the pastor of the Ward and I was his councilor).  

Right now I am a:
Cubmaster (Scouting has been assimilated into the church and the positions are treated like callings) and a
High Priest Instructor (the High Priests are all the men in the Ward that are 40's and up.  I was made a High Priest when I was in the Bishopric (at 23, which is crazy), and you're a High Priest for life.  As an instructor I teach a lesson once a month to all the old guys.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:07:34 AM by Kete »

anais.jude

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:24 PM »
The first place this is going to premiere off broadway is here in Denver. SCORE ONE FOR ME!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 539
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
The first place this is going to premiere off broadway is here in Denver. SCORE ONE FOR ME!

Is there a listing of other places yet?

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 08:56:10 PM »

That's not fair!  Of all the places it should come to Salt Lake!