Author Topic: I am looking for.....  (Read 1619 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
I am looking for.....
« on: November 02, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
A constant problem I have is never knowing what to read next or wether or not a book is good.  I was hoping people could use this thread as a way to ask for suggestions from the group.

For example  I am looking for a good book on the history of the anonymous activist group.  The very few books I found on Amazon all had a very similar problem, the reviews there had been decimated by disinformation.

Offline lassieface

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 250
  • Stuff is fun n' stuff!
    • Striped Tea Cup
Re: I am looking for.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
This is a good idea. I don't have an answer to your question, but I have one of my own.

After playing Uncharted 3, I'm looking for a globe-trotting, action, adventure, mystery. I read "Map of Bones" by James Rollins, which I liked. Anybody know of anything along those lines?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good non-fiction science book?  I recently read Lone Survivors: How We Came to Be the Only Humans on Earth and The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World, both good books, but the latter was a better read.  Any recommendations in that vein? 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2567
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:12:09 PM »
The Most Beautiful Molecule: The Discovery of the Buckyball  Is an interesting story about scientific discovery, and not a bad read.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:10:47 PM »
Sounds good. I'll have to check that out. For a minute I thought maybe it had something to do with buckyballs, the little magnet balls that stick together and you can mold them like clay. They are awesome, I have a bunch, but I just found out they're now quite illegal because if you swallow them they have a habit of pinching your insides and require surgery to remove. Even so, they are still awesome. Especially for those of us who just need something to do with our hands.

Those with oral fixations should probably stay away, however.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6795
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:15:08 PM »
The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry by Mario Livio and Why Beauty Is Truth: The History of Symmetry by Ian Stewart are both good.
dF = 0
d*F = J