Author Topic: Any MST-ed movies that you actually liked?  (Read 2437 times)

Offline anthony62490

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Any MST-ed movies that you actually liked?
« on: October 23, 2011, 09:33:14 PM »
Most of the movies riffed by the MST3K crew were unwatchable bilge. But every once in a while, they riffed on a movie that I actually liked.
Such as:

Warrior of the Lost World - I liked this movie so much that I actually bought an un-riffed copy of the DVD. This movie really is hilariously bad. The acting is horrible, the sets are horrible, and the acting is horrible. But watching that bike
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is endlessly satisfying.

Overdrawn at the Memory Bank - To the best of my knowledge, no DVD copies of this movie exist, but if I ever come across the VHS, you can bet that I'll be picking it up. Yes, it's poorly made and the special effects are laughable, but if you just watch the movie for what it is, it isn't so bad. The story is actually pretty clever even though it kind of derails itself after the first act. The concept of taking a person's mind and implanting it into the mind of an animal was something I had never seen before. It was a very clever way to include stock footage in your movie without it looking incredibly cheap.

How about you guys? Are there any MST3K episodes that you would like to watch riff-free?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
Re: Any MST-ed movies that you actually liked?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
It was a very clever way to include stock footage in your movie without it looking incredibly cheap.

It was the NON-Stock footage that looked cheap on that one.

I will watch the original Japanese versions of Gamera and Godzilla.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5177
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:54 PM »
I kinda like Tormented.  It was pretty ridiculous, but it was neat that Bert I Gordon was trying something that wasn't a giant animal movie (Magic Sword has it's moments, also).  The Undead is bad, but as wrongheaded as it was, it was kind of entertaining to see Corman trying to come up with faux-Shakespeare dialogue (they tried that again in the movie Yes, which, apart from the opening monologue, is also pretty weak).  Oh, and Danger Diabolik is also pretty cool.  Not much substance but crazy with style.  It was the Zach Snyder of it's day.

shodan

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
i agree with memory bank, i also think that hobgoblins is funny enough to watch on its own.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
Wow, I can't imagine watching any of those movies unmodified. 

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:04:24 PM »
The Amazing Colosal Man, Gorgo were not so bad.

Offline anthony62490

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:43:56 PM »
Wow, I can't imagine watching any of those movies unmodified.
Give it a try some time. It takes a special taste to appreciate a bad movie for what it is. I won't tell you that any of the MST3K movies are works of art, but some of them aren't half bad. At the very least, they're so bad it's hilarious. Invite your friends over and heckle the movie together. It's fun.  ;)

---

Come to think of it, I Accuse My Parents is not a half bad movie either. It's a solid story with interesting characters and (relatively) good acting.

Also, when I bought MST3K's "Manos" - Hands of Fate on DVD, I was masochistic enough to watch the unriffed version. And at the risk of being embarrassingly honest... I... kinda liked it.

The camera work is horrendous, the acting is lackluster, and the dubbing is beyond sinful.
The plot is pretty interesting though. A man and his fiancee? get lost in the country and stumble into an evil polygamist cult.
The makeup and costume work is very effective; you can tell that a lot of time and effort went into it. The Master's cape alone is very impressive.
Lastly, although the acting is pretty bad overall, John Reynolds actually does a very good job playing Torgo. He manages to make the viewer very uncomfortable when he speaks. I'll bet it helped that he was probably stoned out of his mind during the shooting, but I'll give him credit anyway. It's a crying shame that he committed suicide so soon after the movie was made. I would have liked to see where his career went.

Manos is often called the worst movie ever made. Really? Come on, I've seen many movies that were much worse than this (The Men Who Stare at Goats for example).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
You make a good point about Manos. I wouldn't call it good by any stretch, but you are right, the guy's performance of Torgo is excellent. It is supposed to unnerve you, and it does. And kudos to whoever painted the painting of the Master and his dogs. Very creepy.

Offline anthony62490

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:06:37 AM »
You make a good point about Manos. I wouldn't call it good by any stretch, but you are right, the guy's performance of Torgo is excellent. It is supposed to unnerve you, and it does. And kudos to whoever painted the painting of the Master and his dogs. Very creepy.
I wonder if that painting still exists...

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 10:07:37 AM »
I wonder if that painting still exists...

I'd like to have it or a copy.   I am sure someone makes these someone makes there somewhere out in the internet tubes.

Offline anthony62490

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »
For what it is, Space Mutiny is a pretty fun movie as well. Not many things are more fun than watching Reb Brown scream at the camera for half an hour. :)

That reminds me. I recently got a copy of Yor, The Hunter From the Future. This movie would have been absolutely AMAZING on MST3K. Unfortunately, they either never found it or decided not to riff on it. The movie is about a muscled, blond caveman who is trying to discover his mysterious past. The movie is not all that great, but it is extremely entertaining. My friends and I all love it. The movie gets a lot funnier when you realize that Yor is a complete genocidal maniac who accidentally destroys every civilization he comes across. Seriously, he completely exterminates three civilizations in just a few short days. The man is a walking, humanoid typhoon.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »
For what it is, Space Mutiny is a pretty fun movie as well. Not many things are more fun than watching Reb Brown scream at the camera for half an hour. :)

That reminds me. I recently got a copy of Yor, The Hunter From the Future. This movie would have been absolutely AMAZING on MST3K. Unfortunately, they either never found it or decided not to riff on it. The movie is about a muscled, blond caveman who is trying to discover his mysterious past. The movie is not all that great, but it is extremely entertaining. My friends and I all love it. The movie gets a lot funnier when you realize that Yor is a complete genocidal maniac who accidentally destroys every civilization he comes across. Seriously, he completely exterminates three civilizations in just a few short days. The man is a walking, humanoid typhoon.
Make sure to check out Spoony's review, it's hilarious:
 http://spoonyexperiment.com/2008/07/06/yor-movie-review/

Offline anthony62490

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Make sure to check out Spoony's review, it's hilarious:
 http://spoonyexperiment.com/2008/07/06/yor-movie-review/
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.