login

Author Topic: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)  (Read 50915 times)

anais.jude

Re: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
45 The Entire Cast of Black Adder – Black Adder goes Forth (1982) - 30 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #1 Tripe Hound Redux)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IglUmgYGxLM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IglUmgYGxLM</a>

Director: British people
Starring: Rowan Atkinson and Hugh Laurie
Gore Factor: Minimal
Sad Factor: High. The characters even talk about how much they do not want to die before they head out to meet their final doom.
Wow/Kickass Factor: High.

Synopsis: (As provided by Tripe Hound Redux)

So the Grim Reaper is always the unseen character at the end of a series of Blackadder but never was he more apparent than in the fourth and final regular outing of the show. Despite all Balckadder’s various attempts, Darling’s sycophancy and many a cunning plan from Baldric nothing can save them from participating in the Big Push that has been looming over them since the first episode.
Many have found this to be incredibly poignant and it’s certainly played differently than the previous Deaths. The setting of course only adds to this; few situations embody the horrors of war quite like the Trenches of WWI.

Tim McInnerny’s mini speech about how he’d hope to survive is, for me, superb in what a waste the whole thing was, though everyone else does sterling work in that scene. The brief moment of hope from the characters right before the end just underlines the sadness of their inevitable deaths.

Kevin Darling puts it best, in his final diary entry – “bugger”.

anais.jude

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 11:46:47 AM »
44 Sonny Corleone – The Godfather(1972) - 32 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #6 Doctor Who?)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrv1roq_gBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yrv1roq_gBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: The same guy that directed Finian’s Rainbow and Jack
Starring: The same people as entry 48 and this guy

John Cazale is sad about being left out.  
Gore Factor: Mid (not super amounts of blood, but LOTS of bullets…and a kick in the head for good measure)
Sad Factor: Personally, I found it sad because Sonny was heading home to beat the shit out of Talia Shire’s jerk husband, but I am sure many people found it mid to high.
Wow/Kickass Factor: High. Highly unexpected with a shit ton of bullets, Sonny Corleone has a death that will be remembered far far longer than James Caan’s appearance in Honeymoon in Vegas

Synopsis:

Sonny Corleone: Dude. Wait, that isn’t right. Sonny Corleone is kind of the hot head brother of the Mafia family dissected in Francis Ford Coppola’s Award winning film, but let’s face it. After Michael (Al Pacino) decides to stay and run the family business, was there really any room for poor little Sonny. No. Luckily, a buttload of thugs just happened to want to kill Sonny. Well, they wanted to go beyond killing Sonny and created a post modern artistic representation of swiss cheese.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 11:52:45 AM by Anais.whatever »

anais.jude

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
43 A Bunch of Passengers  – Ghost Ship (2003) - 36 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #5 Shodan)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zbSjSIY0Zkk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zbSjSIY0Zkk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: Steve Beck
Starring: That chick from ER, that dude from In Treatment
Gore Factor: Super High
Sad Factor: Um….well they were nameless people so it doesn’t do much to make me sad….but to each their own
Wow/Kickass Factor: A friend of mind HATES this scene because it is so fucked up. As far as mass killings in film, this is def high up there, but I felt rather meh about the whole thing (I also laughed…does that make me a bad person?)

Synopsis:

Bunch of people are dancing where they should not be (seriously, how many safety regulations does this scene violate. Maybe if they weren’t surrounded by buttloads of cable, they wouldn’t have met their demise). This results in soul collectors and ghost ships and really really bad acting. Considering the fact that the director’s put the only interesting scene in the beginning of the movie, he clearly didn’t have too much faith in his own storytelling.

anais.jude

« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »
42 Johnny  – The Room (2003) - 36 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #10 Anais.whatever)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ch1ti1VMzXU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ch1ti1VMzXU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: No one. No one directed this. It was merely filmed one day
Starring: Lisa as Lisa, Mark as Mark, and Denny as….some sort of weird retard pig boy thing?
Gore Factor: Minimal (and not good enough)
Sad Happy Factor: Super fucking High
Wow/Kickass Factor: The WOW factor of this death is that in a film so ridiculous to this point that Johnny doesn’t end up getting up and saying “Oh Hi, Lisa, I was just kidding about being dead. I love you so much and you are so beautiful, huh”

Still, say what you will about me, I laugh at his death everytime! Oh, Hi gun barrel!

Synopsis:

Johnny should have offed himself within the first five minutes of the film and saved us all the trouble

anais.jude

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
41 Billy and Captain America Wyatt  – Easy Rider (1969) - 36 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #6 D.B. Barnes)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hjYAEtO-Ohk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hjYAEtO-Ohk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: Dennis Hopper
Starring: Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson, and Peter Fonda (<-- EYE CANDY!)
Gore Factor: Minimal
Sad Factor: High. Maybe it is because I am a hippie at heart, but this act of road rage and bigotry made me very very unhappy.
Wow/Kickass Factor: The deaths were extremely shocking. In terms of shit Southerners can do to people without provocation, this death scene is up there with another not so nice scene in Deliverance.

Synopsis:

Easy Rider is an American road movie with the same themes of loss, disillusionment, and rebellion as one of my all time favorite books “An American Dream.” Billy and Wyatt earn some money selling cocaine they smuggled over the border (see it’s been happening for ages people) only to spend that money on the ultimate Road Trip. Embracing the free spirit of Jack Kerouac and others, Billy and Wyatt learn that America does not really glitter as so many people will lead you to believe. Then they get shot by rednecks.

Johnny Unusual

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2011, 11:56:01 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrv1roq_gBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yrv1roq_gBw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

For some reason, I imagine the film should cut to a perfectly fine Sonny with maybe a couple of small bandages telling Michael "Well, that was a close call.  I thought they almost had me there."  Then more thugs with machine guns come out.  "Not again!"

anais.jude

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2011, 11:57:15 AM »

For some reason, I imagine the film should cut to a perfectly fine Sonny with maybe a couple of small bandages telling Michael "Well, that was a close call.  I thought they almost had me there."  Then more thugs with machine guns come out.  "Not again!"

I would laugh at that

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 12:05:40 PM »
Sigh, "superb at showing" was what I meant to put thee.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
A great bit of slicing gore, but it always bugged me how inconsistent the wire was. I mean, it's being snapped straight across very suddenly, and yet it gets some people at the belt line and others up at the nipples. And then there's the captain, who it manages to get right up at the mouth (while courteously dodging the child). Just all over the place, like it was some kind of live wire that could control its dicing action.

shodan

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
the reason why it cut the captain in the head is because he saw it coming and at the last second bent over to protect the child. also if you notice, it starts off at a high point, becomes lower at the dance floor and then rises again to the other side. that would account to the variances.

anais.jude

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 12:49:10 PM »
A great bit of slicing gore, but it always bugged me how inconsistent the wire was. I mean, it's being snapped straight across very suddenly, and yet it gets some people at the belt line and others up at the nipples. And then there's the captain, who it manages to get right up at the mouth (while courteously dodging the child). Just all over the place, like it was some kind of live wire that could control its dicing action.

I found it all absurdly hilarious myself. Maybe because there was so much hype surrounding it. Shodan, how was the rest of the film. You had another death from the film on there, are you a fan of the film as a whole?

shodan

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »
yea i liked the film, good story, with a mix of murder mystery and supernatural, plus some really cool deaths and gore.
this is my favorite scene because it has all the deaths tied together, within it is the other death i put in my list, and the sense of betrayal and come-uppance is pretty cool. plus i think the singer is kind of hot. also i especially think the ghost-girl's reaction are an interesting point.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MVFMLQ7dmro?" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MVFMLQ7dmro?</a>

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:07:10 PM by shodan »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43:43 PM »
44 Sonny Corleone – The Godfather(1972) - 32 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #6 Doctor Who?)

Man, the Godfather movies are chock-a-block with classic deaths. I didn't include any 'cause I'm kind of an idiot.

41 Billy and Captain America Wyatt  – Easy Rider (1969) - 36 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #6 D.B. Barnes)

For me, it's not so much a sad factor as it is a rage factor. The first time I saw this, my rage was palpable. I actually have trouble watching this scene, it makes me feel angry and a bit helpless.

Had it at #25. This is just the kind of awesome gore that I enjoy so much.

I've never though about that. It seems like I never notice stuff like that unless it's so obviously impossible that you can't help but notice. I'm actually glad I don't notice those things; there's less distraction.

This was a really cool idea for a list.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 02:53:15 PM »
the reason why it cut the captain in the head is because he saw it coming and at the last second bent over to protect the child. also if you notice, it starts off at a high point, becomes lower at the dance floor and then rises again to the other side. that would account to the variances.

The high-to-low could account for some, but the captains till bugs me. I watched it again, it doesn't look like he ducks down or anything, just stands there while the wire goes from someone's waist to his mouth and back down again.

Of course, I also realize now I'm nitpicking this way too much. My gorehound sensibilities get antsy sometimes :P

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:01 PM »
This was a really cool idea for a list.

Thanks!
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!