Author Topic: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)  (Read 50829 times)

anais.jude

Re: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)
« Reply #195 on: October 30, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
22 Det Abhorghast – Psycho (1960) – 48 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #2 Johnny Unusual)
I had Arbogast as my #23 entry, was mine included? Because if it's 2 lists, and theoretically just me & Johnny, that only adds up to ~27 points. Shouldn't this be 3 lists? Are my 3 meager points part of the 48 total?

3 points doesn't seem much, except it could lift Arbogast above Optimus Prime.

Either way, I'm sure the AFI considers Transformers 2 much more masterful filmmaking than Psycho.  >:D

(Btw, Anais, I got a free calculator in the mail from some Veterans org. Want me to have them send you one too?  ;))

Um....srry? The timing of list was very off for me so I am not surprised I made a mistake. One day I will do a list and it will be perfect...PERFECT I say

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #196 on: October 30, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
18 Colonel Kurtz – Apocalypse Now (1979) – 52 points
(3 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #3 D.B. Barnes)

Synopsis:
Many of the themes of Apocalypse Now are inspired and borrowed from The Wasteland by T.S. Eliot, and to me, that is what this film kind of feels like: visual poetry….in some ways. In other ways, it’s like I just injected LSD into my eyeballs. So, trippy or poetic, sad or justified, thin Brando or Fat Brando, this film and the climax are pretty awesome.
Wonderful description. I love this movie to death.

17 Marvin – Pulp Fiction (1994) – 54 points
(5 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #10 Monty)
Five lists! I had it at #24. Not so much for the death itself, but the whole aftermath.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6576
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #197 on: October 30, 2011, 10:02:27 AM »
20 Optimus Prime – Transformers (I am not sure which version so people who voted please explain) (1986 & 2009) – 49 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #1 Darth Geek)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rcHOM_465Vw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rcHOM_465Vw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

:D Finally one of mine. (Aside from Kenny. I voted for the flagpole head death) 

anais.jude

« Reply #198 on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »
16 Darth Vader – Star Wars: Return of the Jedi (1983) – 56 points
(3 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #5 PakMan)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gfF8UgfXHrk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gfF8UgfXHrk?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: NOT George Lucas (Richard Marquand)
Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and (Blinking) Ewoks
Gore Factor: Low
Sad Factor: High, but in a satisfying “Hooray for the Light Side way”
Wow/Kickass Factor: High The redemption of this character makes it a pinnacle and awesome moment in cinematic history

Synopsis:

You guys all now how Darth Vader the character died, but let me the show you the moment his cool bad guy factor died

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tim5nU3DwIE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tim5nU3DwIE?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

anais.jude

« Reply #199 on: October 30, 2011, 10:30:29 AM »
15 Hans Gruber –  Die Hard (1988) – 57 points
(5 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #4 Cole Stratton)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TjFADC53mig?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_USUS" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TjFADC53mig?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_USUS</a>
Presented in Lego because it’s cool! (Also the real one has embedding disabled by request. See it here: http://youtu.be/qa8Q2g8LvwU

Director: John McTiernan
Starring: Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman
Gore Factor: Mid…more had he been a hostage
Sad Factor: Ha
Wow/Kickass Factor: High….McClane is the new American cowboy afterall

Synopsis:

We all know the story of John McClane. How he just wanted to come to L.A and see his estranged wife and family. How he went into his wife’s office to change and during this the whole place gets taken over by terrorists? Yea, that’s the one. And this Die Hard had a villain so cool he was to be referenced in the third installment (remember? That hot villain played by Jeremy Irons *drool*), and his death was so great they re-showed the scene. Iconic, no?

anais.jude

« Reply #200 on: October 30, 2011, 10:31:44 AM »
14 Spock –  Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan (1982) – 60 points
(5 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #11 Doctor Who? and Anais.whatever)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eVIt0DYKssI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eVIt0DYKssI?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Director: Nicholas Meyer
Starring: The Cast of Star Trek and Kirstie Alley
Gore Factor: Mid….did you see all that green blood on Spock?
Sad Factor: This deserves a “Ha” too because I think everyone who has had enough interest in Star Trek to watch all of Wrath of Khan was sad when this happened.
Wow/Kickass Factor: High. Not only did Shatner and Nimoy act the crap out of this scene, but the theme of the sacrifice (captured by Spock’s uber famous “the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few”) has been used in everything from South Park to Futurama to….well basically cool stuff

Synopsis:

Kirk: We are gathered here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. But it should be noted that this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human.

anais.jude

« Reply #201 on: October 30, 2011, 10:33:29 AM »
13 HAL 9000 –  2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – 63 points
(4 of 14 lists. (Highest ranking - #1 Space)

*grumble*

http://youtu.be/px0c4Tgg6gg

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Cool Gadgets, Monkeys, and a Homicidal computer
Gore Factor: High for Robots
Sad Factor: High. Yea, HAL wanted to kill everyone but it was only because he felt threatened and his survival instincts kicked in. You try to make machines human and you have to deal with the consequences
Wow/Kickass Factor: High. The pacing was brilliant, the acting amazing, and the parodies innumerable

Synopsis:

From my previous dossier (MUCH thanks to Johnny Unusual for his Master List of Crap)

Dossier: Hal was created in a lab in Illinois (much like Robot Abraham Lincoln) in 1992 (or 1997 depending on book or film), which means he was created almost 20 years in the past for our sci-fi list. HAL’s momma, Dr. Chandra, was always riding HAL to be perfect, giving him those fancy cerebral implants that all the other mothers said were dangerous, but Dr. Chandra thought “to hell with that, my little HAL is winning that little miss beauty pageant so I can be on toddlers and tiarras.” Later in life, HAL makes a calculating error (he was thinking about his mother at the time) and Dave and his co-pilot, God, decide to shut HAL down; however, those pesky cognitive functions include a desire for self-preservation. HAL instead turns on those pesky humans, and, in one of the most brilliant scenes in all of cinema, slowly sings “Daisy Bell” while being aware of his own destruction. EPIC.

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #202 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:53 AM »
Why not also add a picture of the character getting killed if the videos are disabled?  At least that way, there is some for of visual representation.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

MontyServo

« Reply #203 on: October 30, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »

Sad Factor: How about laugh factor because I don’t know about you, but I laughed my ass off)

I didn't find it funny at all, and I was kind of horrified that the theater did.  I think this is where I started hating Quentin Tarantino--40 minutes into the first movie of his I ever saw.

I think the humor of the scene came more from Jackson and Travolta's reaction to the death than the actual death itself.

anais.jude

« Reply #204 on: October 30, 2011, 01:07:58 PM »

Sad Factor: How about laugh factor because I don’t know about you, but I laughed my ass off)

I didn't find it funny at all, and I was kind of horrified that the theater did.  I think this is where I started hating Quentin Tarantino--40 minutes into the first movie of his I ever saw.

Fair enough. I think for me it was in the idea that comedy comes from the unexpected happening. It was an over the top bit of 5 second film but it came out of nowhere.

Seeing as how by this time, you had already scene a man ass raped, I find your decision to hate Tarantino at this moment a little peculiar but that is just me I guess

Was that scene played for humor? I didn't remember the theater bursting out in laughter at it they way they did for this.

I don't think it was played forlaughs. If that is why you dislike Marvin's death and are...at least better feeling about the other scene then I can understand you reasoning :)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »
Yeah as the other Optimus Prime voter, I'll be happy to confirm that we meant the original animated movie. :^)

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #206 on: October 30, 2011, 01:20:29 PM »
Not sure if it matters given the math so far, but I had Spock at #5.  ;)

Epic, moving death.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1007
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #207 on: October 30, 2011, 01:32:25 PM »
13 HAL 9000 –  2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) – 63 points

Sad Factor: High. Yea, HAL wanted to kill everyone but it was only because he felt threatened and his survival instincts kicked in. You try to make machines human and you have to deal with the consequences

Eh, not quite.  Kubrick's interpretation of what was going on was that HAL realized that he was fallible, had a breakdown and started killing everyone.
But Asimov disagreed with him there. There were elements in the script and novel that indicated that HAL knew the mission was all about the monolith and couldn't tell the crew about it and that's what caused the issues. In 2010, this is pretty explicitly spelled out in both the novel and film.

anais.jude

« Reply #208 on: October 30, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »
Not sure if it matters given the math so far, but I had Spock at #5.  ;)

Epic, moving death.

Doesn't effect the points, you were counted...I just didn't mention it on the thread....oh and HEY!

anais.jude

« Reply #209 on: October 30, 2011, 03:14:18 PM »
I had Arbogast as my #23 entry, was mine included? Because if it's 2 lists, and theoretically just me & Johnny, that only adds up to ~27 points. Shouldn't this be 3 lists? Are my 3 meager points part of the 48 total?

3 points doesn't seem much, except it could lift Arbogast above Optimus Prime.

Either way, I'm sure the AFI considers Transformers 2 much more masterful filmmaking than Psycho.  >:D

(Btw, Anais, I got a free calculator in the mail from some Veterans org. Want me to have them send you one too?  ;))

This is what I have: Johnny Unusual at # 2 (24 Points) + Kete at #23 (3 Points) + Cole @ # 5 (21 Points) = 48. Am I wrong?