Author Topic: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)  (Read 50120 times)

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
Re: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »
27 Chad Feldheimer – Burn After Reading (2008) – 44 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #2 Space)
26 Paul Allen – American Psycho (2000) – 45 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Anais.whatever)
Two that were on my runner-up, but didn't make the cut (I'm starting to fear that most of my list simply won't get in this time around).

Chad's was almost heartbreaking, he was among the only friendly and genuinely helpful people in the movie. Of course, that just made the film that much blacker, and overall I love it for that. Plus, this death was a great crowd bit when I saw it in theaters. People were just totally blindsided by it; one moment they were laughing at his discovery, and a split second later gasping at the gore.

And Paul Allen's is such an endlessly re-watchable scene (maybe not as much as the business card scene, but close). Funny, grisly, and bizarre, it works perfectly for the movie. It, like the rest of the film, is considerably less gory than the book (that book is... wow. Seriously, it's something else in terms of the red stuff), but I'm OK with that. Lets them play up the crazy an satire angles. Good scene that's essentially a meme now (seriously, go to the youtube video for Hip to be Square. It's just pages and pages of "Try getting a table at Dorsia now you son of a bitch!"*)

*Inside joke: Upon watching the scene in The Dark Knight where Bruce meets Rachel and Harvey in the restaurant (and proceeded to mention how he owned it), my friends and I smiled: he finally made it to Dorsia.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3823
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2011, 10:13:53 PM »
24 The Wicked Witch of the West – The Wizard of Oz (1939) – 48 points
(5 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #11 Monty)
You know, I voted for Judge Doom, but it never occured to me to vote for the death that inspired it...

Watchman

« Reply #167 on: October 28, 2011, 02:16:51 AM »
Holy shit, one from my list!

And I'm dying with laughter watching this clip, it's even funnier than my memory of it (the only scene in the film that gave me a big laugh).  Ahh, the healing power of laughter...

The Coen Bros are masters of clumsy, ungraceful deaths. I think I listed a couple of other Coen deaths. I wonder if they'll make it.

Did anyone watch this clip at work?

Ya know what is a really BAD idea? To shoot someone point blank in the face because they startle you. In you’re defense, why were they hiding in the closet? Ya know what. Don’t hide in closets and don’t shoot people point blank in the face.
  :D This might be my favorite write-up in any LOC so far.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 02:23:31 AM by Sutter Cane »

spaceforarent

« Reply #168 on: October 28, 2011, 02:42:58 AM »

And I'm dying with laughter watching this clip, it's even funnier than my memory of it (the only scene in the film that gave me a big laugh).  Ahh, the healing power of laughter...

The Coen Bros are masters of clumsy, ungraceful deaths. I think I listed a couple of other Coen deaths. I wonder if they'll make it.

Ya know what is a really BAD idea? To shoot someone point blank in the face because they startle you. In you’re defense, why were they hiding in the closet? Ya know what. Don’t hide in closets and don’t shoot people point blank in the face.
:highfive:

I had started to lose interest in Burn After Reading at right about this point, then this brought me right back in. I know I had at least 3 Coen deaths on mine, so maybe a few more will make it.

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1024
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2011, 03:18:03 AM »

:highfive:

I had started to lose interest in Burn After Reading at right about this point, then this brought me right back in. I know I had at least 3 Coen deaths on mine, so maybe a few more will make it.

I had a Coen Brothers death on my list as well, and it was pretty high up too. If all three of us voted for the same one, it should make it. I never have seen Burn After Reading though. I really should check that out.

Oh, and  :highfive: to wurwolf for being the other person to vote for my Number One pick of Ofelia in Pan's Labyrinth.

Offline ColeStratton

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 322
  • I'm king of the room!
    • SF Sketchfest
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »
26 Paul Allen – American Psycho (2000) – 45 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #3 Anais.whatever)

#15 on my list, and yyesss!!! We have to celebrate the scarcity of our picks on this this list! A death scenes among death scenes. It's perhaps one of the most playful death scenes in recent memory. For me, it's the joy of watching my favorite sociapth conducting his his finest work. You know it's coming, but you enjoy it all the same. There's a cetain symetry to it. good stuff."

And list-master Anais... :highfive:

Um, it was #15 on my list also, so that probably screws things up a bit since it should have appeared on at least 3 lists...
My website!: www.colestratton.com
My touring group! www.themeparkimprov.com
My comedy fest!: www.sfsketchfest.com
My goodness!

anais.jude

« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
I modified it. The point number was correct, but it should have said 3 lists not two

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  The listing should be changed to That Little Kintner Boy.  Please!!!!!!!!  Thnx.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

anais.jude

« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2011, 04:43:50 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  The listing should be changed to That Little Kintner Boy.  Please!!!!!!!!  Thnx.

Done and Done

Watchman

« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
I had a Coen Brothers death on my list as well, and it was pretty high up too. If all three of us voted for the same one, it should make it.
One of my Coen deaths I'm not even sure is a legitimate "death", since the scene in question more involves body disposal than the actual transition from life to death. It's more a transition of dead matter into smaller particles, if ya get what I'm sayin. Ya?

I never have seen Burn After Reading though. I really should check that out.

You already saw the best part. I'm a huge Coen fan but BAR didn't do much for me. I kept "waiting to get it". Most of the humor deals with midlife crises & exercise addiction... an extraordinary amount of time is spent on Clooney's need for jogging. I can't relate to morning joggers or domestic/marriage issues. Maybe the film resonates more if you've been married for a while, I don't know.

Still, like Intolerable Cruelty, within a film I'm "meh" about is a hilarious death that had me laughing for minutes afterwards. (Though I didn't list the death from IC)

---------------
By the way, Paul Allen is a great choice. I was sick & my mind was kind of hazy when I rushed through my list at the last second, and Paul Allen seems a glaring omission. That scene is the only way to listen to Huey Lewis!

"Do you like Phil Collins?"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:34:29 PM by Sutter Cane »

Offline CJones

• Liked: 1024
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
I had a Coen Brothers death on my list as well, and it was pretty high up too. If all three of us voted for the same one, it should make it.
One of my Coen deaths I'm not even sure is a legitimate "death", since the scene in question more involves body disposal than the actual transition from life to death. It's more a transition of dead matter into smaller particles, if ya get what I'm sayin. Ya?

I do get what you're saying, and I'm pretty sure we voted for the same thing, you betcha! But even though he was probably already dead by that point, I still thought it was worth mentioning. We'll find out soon...

Watchman

« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »

I do get what you're saying, and I'm pretty sure we voted for the same thing, you betcha! But even though he was probably already dead by that point, I still thought it was worth mentioning. We'll find out soon...

He should have stopped at pancakes house.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2011, 11:28:46 PM »
I never have seen Burn After Reading though. I really should check that out.

You already saw the best part. I'm a huge Coen fan but BAR didn't do much for me. I kept "waiting to get it". Most of the humor deals with midlife crises & exercise addiction... an extraordinary amount of time is spent on Clooney's need for jogging. I can't relate to morning joggers or domestic/marriage issues. Maybe the film resonates more if you've been married for a while, I don't know. [/quote]

I see this a lot, and it's understandable. I feel the complete opposite though. I found it to be a very slow burn movie, and when I went to the midnight show way back when I was getting kinda antsy by about a half-hour in. But it really started to grow on me, just this series of despicable people doing stupid things in absurd, pseudo-spy ways, and by the end I was completely into it (My vote for best line in the entire movie is "I'm not hear representing Hardbodies", which had me almost in tears). Rewatching it made me get into it that much quicker, and now I'd probably put it in my Top 5 of Coen Brother movies.

Watchman

« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2011, 11:55:41 PM »
I see this a lot, and it's understandable. I feel the complete opposite though. I found it to be a very slow burn movie, and when I went to the midnight show way back when I was getting kinda antsy by about a half-hour in. But it really started to grow on me, just this series of despicable people doing stupid things in absurd, pseudo-spy ways, and by the end I was completely into it (My vote for best line in the entire movie is "I'm not hear representing Hardbodies", which had me almost in tears).

The line I laughed at most was at the beginning: "Something popped in my ass!"

Maybe I'll give it another shot in the future (a luxury I can't see myself affording The Ladykillers).

Actually, there was another moment in Burn After Reading that made me start cracking up... when I was thinking about it months later during a long road trip.

Clooney: "WHO ARE YOU?!"
McDormand: "I'm...Linda Litzke!"

For some reason I found it very funny the way Carter Burwell's percussive-heavy score thumped over Clooney's paranoid freakout. How deliberately over-emphatic the percussion was, these abrasive *CLANGS* over an imaginary threat.

I appreciate the "idiot spy" element of it (though I prefer Lebowski in this respect). But... I just don't get the deal with joggers! Why the emphasis on middle-aged jogging addiction? Is it something I'll understand better when I'm in my 40's?

anais.jude

« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Hey I need some help. I need a particular youtube clip and I don't want to continue the countdown until I at least ask you guys. Should I post without the scene or would someone be willing to get a spoiler and look for the scene for me? PM if interested