login

Author Topic: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)  (Read 44941 times)

anais.jude

Re: Top 50 Deaths! (Entire thread has been marked NSFW)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:41 PM »
47 Obi-Wan Kenobi – Star Wars (1977) - 29 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #5 Monty)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjCyZ2P9bCA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rjCyZ2P9bCA?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Director: Some Hack
Starring: Alec Guiness, Mark Hamil, and some roadie for the Doors
Gore Factor: Minimal
Sad Factor: Mid to High
Wow/Kickass Factor: At the time, mid to low; however, in the context of the films, the death and return of Obi-Wan proved to be the father figure for Luke Skywalker both spiritually and mentally. This ideas was re-used with the death of Qui-Gon in the prequels. It should have been used on the death of Jar Jar.

Synopsis:

Star Wars. A film so beloved amongst nerds that we seriously will KILL over it (I think if Obama just flat out said the terrorists think the prequels are better the war would be over rather quickly). But there is a reason we love it so much: scenes like this. Luke Skywalker, the young hero who wants nothing more than to head to tashie station to pick up some power converters (that is sooooooo dirty) ends up the defender of the galaxy. And yea, deep down inside he knows he is awesome, but he needs the guidance to get him there. This death sets many scenes in motion and that is why it is better than the entirety of Star Trek 2009 (WHAT! I KILL YOU, SCUM!)

anais.jude

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »
So after a review, there were a few number 1s that should have made the list....they will still be featured in some capacity.

Sorry guys. At least I always mess up in different ways when I make the lists

anais.jude

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 02:36:58 PM »

46 Muldoon – Jurassic Park (1993) - 30 points
(3 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #13 Space)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jaFT6RVz5w4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jaFT6RVz5w4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Director: Senior Speilbergo’s union American counterpart
Starring:   A bunch of Dinos and Sam Jackson before he could kick ass
Gore Factor: Minimal (alas because it is mostly offscreen)
Sad Factor: Minimal
Wow/Kickass Factor: High. Not only does the Dino win the day, the line preceding Muldoon’s death basically said “Ha, you are worthy advisory. I shall now die as I deserve to.” Brits are so polite, even about death

Synopsis:

Like we needed to add another kickass death to Jurassic Park…actually we did. This one really shows off Spielberg’s amazing ability to film people looking at stuff and it created some damn good tension. Also, this actor has nice legs. There, I said it.

MontyServo

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
So after a review, there were a few number 1s that should have made the list....they will still be featured in some capacity.

Sorry guys. At least I always mess up in different ways when I make the lists

OK cool.  I am guessing my number one will be one of those bonus deaths that get featured.  Doubt anyone else would vote for it, but you never know on this board.  A lot of film buffs here that might think of that one.

And I am glad that Obi-Wan got another vote and made the cut.  A very historic and memorable movie death.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 02:47:25 PM »
The interesting thing about Muldoon's death is that it's only a death because of the very real death of Bob Peck. The character survives in the book and in the official comic.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:58:34 PM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
Good.   At least I know my #1 pick will make the list.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »
The interesting thing about Muldoon's death is that it's only a death because of the very real death of Bob Peck. The character survives in the book and in the official comic.

I'm pretty sure he was dead regardless of Peck's mortal status. I mean, there's lots of who lives/who dies discrepancies in the films, and Peck was still alive and acting after The Lost World came out. Besides, hard to bring someone back after a raptor bites their face off without making it seem extra silly.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
Well extra silly is what it would have been then because that's what was going to happen.

spaceforarent

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
So does that mean someone else actually voted for my #2? I expect it will show up soon then.

Good.   At least I know my #1 pick will make the list.
I know mine did, seeing as how I brought it up (or rather STRONGLY hinted to it) in the other thread. Wouldn't be surprised if it makes the top 3 too.

Almost voted for Arab Guy. Cut it just because I'm not really a fan of the movie series. Still is pretty fun though.

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked: 1218
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »
Well extra silly is what it would have been then because that's what was going to happen.

Huh, go figure. I must admit, Jurassic Park III would've been that much more interesting with him around (and it's not like that movie could get any more ridiculous, so why not toss no-face in the mix).

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 03:17:30 PM »
48. Baptism Murders – The Godfather (1972) - 29 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #11 A Pretty Girl is Like)

Director: Nic Cage’s Uncle
Starring: Al Pacino, James Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, and Marlon Brando (the real one)

John Cazale is sad about being left out.  
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 03:36:31 PM »
50. Arab Guy (aka Guns rule and Sword drool)- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 21 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #8 Cole Stratton)

Had it at #23. It's a classic. Makes me chuckle every time.

48. Baptism Murders – The Godfather (1972) - 29 points
(2 of 14 lists. Highest ranking - #11 A Pretty Girl is Like)

Great death scene. It really is a classic. I had it on my first cut and in retrospect should've left it in. Oh well.

John Cazale is sad about being left out. 

DOH! How could I have spaced on Freddo?!? That scene is EPIC! Godammit, here we go again with the face palms.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline CJones

• Liked: 713
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
Yeah, that confused me a bit as well.  Does this mean you skipped over all the number 1 and 2 picks that would have had at least 25 or 24 points?  Seeing as you skipped from 22 points straight to 29 points.  Or was there a typo?   ???  I have no problem with it if that is how you decided to proceed, just would like some clarification.  :)

Oh and I had Kevin Bacon's gruesome demise in Friday The 13th on my list at 25.  :highfive:

I was the third person who voted for Kevin Bacon. And the only reason I've ever even seen this movie is because of Horr-RIFF-ic Productions (great riff BTW). I have to admit though, that was actually a pretty impressive special effects and/or make up trick, for the time. I'm not sure how they did that to be honest. And no, I have absolutely no idea what the character's name is either.

I hope somebody else voted for my number one. It's a little bit of an odd choice, but it's nothing obscure.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
50. Arab Guy (aka Guns rule and Sword drool)- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - 21 points

I must protest! There is no proof that Arab Guy actually died from the gunshot. He may have very well been taken to a local doctor, treated and then went on to found an orphanage and lived a happy and fruitful life after Indy shot him.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 04:45:13 PM »
47 Obi-Wan Kenobi – Star Wars (1977) - 29 points

Director: Some Hack
:D :D :D :D

46 Muldoon – Jurassic Park (1993) - 30 points

Wow/Kickass Factor: High. Not only does the Dino win the day, the line preceding Muldoon’s death basically said “Ha, you are worthy advisory. I shall now die as I deserve to.” Brits are so polite, even about death

Not only that, but his big line became an internet meme: "Clever girl." (Also another death I'm kicking myself for forgetting.)
Bonhead #2
fs!!