Author Topic: Star Trek 2009 sucks!  (Read 23831 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Star Trek 2009 sucks!
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
By the way, Darth Geek, Doctor Who, and I all live in Delaware.  When the Rifftrax Live shows come to town, we all see them at the same theater if we see them.  For the Plan 9 show, we invited DW along, but that didn't work out because he forgot where he was supposed to meet us and we ended up waiting an hour for him until we ran out of time and had to go into the theater for the show.  Another time, for one of the other shows, we offered to pay the costs of his ticket and a dinner with the two of us.  It was Darth Geek's idea but I went along with it.  We did it because the man was going through a lot of personal problems and it seemed like a nice thing to do.  That didn't work out because Doctor Who couldn't get transportation up to Wilmington.  But the point is that we made the gesture to help the guy.  I'm not some bully picking on the emotionally unstable kid.  I'm a decent guy who has been abused and insulted and had venom spewed at him one too many times.

Russell

« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »
No.  You missed the metaphor.  The point is that he is a social nuisance and a hateful bigot.  A better example may have been if a man is on a city bus screaming about how the CIA is monitoring his brain wave patterns, he may be honest to goodness schizophrenic, but that doesn't mean you just sit back and let him disrupt your ride.  You eject him from the bus.

Is his behavior hurtful?  Yes.  As Wurwolf points out, his comments are hateful, vitriolic, and bigoted.  If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?
Maybe so but he seemed pretty calm to me until Sideswipe started pushed his buttons. But if you are telling it like it is
there's nothing I can really say to make things any better. Honestly, I don't know what else to say. He has done his share
of being a jerk it seems, but just like real life we don't get the option to banish people unless this is an episode of
survivor.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:20:36 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #317 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »
If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?

RVR I hope you realize that I was using those words to make a rhetorical point and don't actually use them against Jews, blacks, Hispanics, or Asians.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #318 on: October 14, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?

RVR I hope you realize that I was using those words to make a rhetorical point and don't actually use them against Jews, blacks, Hispanics, or Asians.
I know. It cave me a reason to post this emoticon  ;D

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #319 on: October 14, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
I assume you make people in wheelchairs take the stairs, then.
This is why the Americans with Disabilities Act only mentions "reasonable accommodations".

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #320 on: October 14, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
SQUIRREL!

Woah, got distracted there for a sec...

Heavy stuff...

I'd say don't respond when Doc says horrible stuff, just report it.   He does seem to be going over the edge more frequently lately.

Oh, and I almost got the nerve up to watch Trek'09 on Netflix the other day, but decided I'm sticking to my ban of this alternate timeline...

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #321 on: October 14, 2011, 08:23:58 PM »
Well said, wurwolf, well said Im, and well said Thrifty.

The forum really needs a "Like" button!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #322 on: October 14, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
No.  You missed the metaphor.  The point is that he is a social nuisance and a hateful bigot.  A better example may have been if a man is on a city bus screaming about how the CIA is monitoring his brain wave patterns, he may be honest to goodness schizophrenic, but that doesn't mean you just sit back and let him disrupt your ride.  You eject him from the bus.

Is his behavior hurtful?  Yes.  As Wurwolf points out, his comments are hateful, vitriolic, and bigoted.  If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?
Maybe so but he seemed pretty calm to me until Sideswipe started pushed his buttons. But if you are telling it like it is
there's nothing I can really say to make things any better. Honestly, I don't know what else to say. He has done his share
of being a jerk it seems, but just like real life we don't get the option to banish people unless this is an episode of
survivor.
Sure we do.  If someone is being a hateful jerk in my house, I tell them to leave.  If someone is being constantly disruptive at the workplace, they are fired.  If someone is disrupting the peace on a bus, they are thrown off.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #323 on: October 14, 2011, 08:24:40 PM »

I like your sig DB :D :D

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #324 on: October 14, 2011, 08:25:33 PM »

;D

I'm a horrible person!
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #325 on: October 14, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »

;D

I'm a horrible person.
Yeah it'll be awite though.. :P

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #326 on: October 14, 2011, 08:32:46 PM »
I'd say don't respond when Doc says horrible stuff, just report it.   He does seem to be going over the edge more frequently lately.

I've decided that this will be the tack I take from now on.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #327 on: October 14, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »
I assume you make people in wheelchairs take the stairs, then.
This is why the Americans with Disabilities Act only mentions "reasonable accommodations".

Those "reasonable accommodations" can still cost big bucks when building something new....  We added a new wing to our old science building about 6 years ago, the amount of ADA stuff you have to do is amazing, and much of it makes no sense but there's no exceptions for what type of building or activities go on there....

Sure we do.  If someone is being a hateful jerk in my house, I tell them to leave.  If someone is being constantly disruptive at the workplace, they are fired.  If someone is disrupting the peace on a bus, they are thrown off.

The only one that applies here is the bus one, since it's a public place strangers gather, and I'm not sure you've ridden many city buses?  ;D  But yes, someone being violent and making everyone around them uncomfortable should be taken off the bus and not let back on until they can behave themselves.

Russell

« Reply #328 on: October 14, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
You're assuming the house or bus belongs ONLY to you. Dammit, I don't even know why I'm defending
Doctor Who anymore. I just hope that when and if he comes back he controls himself so he doesn't make
me look bad.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:46:20 PM by Gunflyer »

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2011, 08:47:08 PM »
I'm not sure if this has been said or not but this thread reminds me of the scene of Manos where they're voting on the fate of the woman and child.