login

Author Topic: Star Trek 2009 sucks!  (Read 23010 times)

Invader_quirk

Re: Star Trek 2009 sucks!
« Reply #300 on: October 14, 2011, 05:25:38 PM »
What makes this so difficult is that nobody wants to believe that a disorder can affect a person this strongly. Everybody wants to think that if you REALLY try, you can be normal, or that you can just medicate it away. This thinking allows us to not only continue treating people with disorders we find annoying badly, but also to never stop and think somebody acting strange might have issues. To think this way would require a lot of tolerance. Most of us simply don't want to do that. Also, if a disorder can permanently change a person, it raises very difficult questions about self, and it forces us to consider the blurry line between disorder and a "naturally" messed up individual.

Now, I know Anais mentioned an acquaintance that had significantly improved their life, but let's not forget that there are varying degrees of asperger's. It was recently actually stripped of that name and they now simply call it "mild autism", so it can actually sometimes be difficult to distinguish what was formerly called asperger's from full-blown autism if it's a really bad case.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:29:40 PM by Invader_quirk »

Russell

« Reply #301 on: October 14, 2011, 05:30:18 PM »
What makes this so difficult is that nobody wants to believe that a disorder can affect a person this strongly. Everybody wants to think that if you REALLY try, you can be normal, or that you can just medicate it away. This thinking allows us to not only continue treating people with disorders we find annoying badly, but also to never stop and think somebody acting strange might have issues.
I could not have put it better.

Offline bta

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 739
  • Sort this; deliver that; I'll make 'em all pay.
« Reply #302 on: October 14, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
I'm starting to think both you guys might have issues.  Maybe OCD or something so I will start treating you "differently".  I want you guys to treat me "differently" too because I am a special and unique snowflake who needs tender love and care.
\()/ 3~ \()/

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #303 on: October 14, 2011, 05:59:52 PM »
I'm starting to think both you guys might have issues.  Maybe OCD or something so I will start treating you "differently".  I want you guys to treat me "differently" too because I am a special and unique snowflake who needs tender love and care.

"I held that life was a ferment, a yeasty something which devoured life that it might live, and that living was merely successful piggishness. Why, if there is anything in supply and demand, life is the cheapest thing in the world. There is only so much water, so much earth, so much air; but the life that is demanding to be born is limitless  -- Wolf Larsen

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #304 on: October 14, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
I'm starting to think both you guys might have issues.  Maybe OCD or something so I will start treating you "differently".  I want you guys to treat me "differently" too because I am a special and unique snowflake who needs tender love and care.

"I held that life was a ferment, a yeasty something which devoured life that it might live, and that living was merely successful piggishness. Why, if there is anything in supply and demand, life is the cheapest thing in the world. There is only so much water, so much earth, so much air; but the life that is demanding to be born is limitless  -- Wolf Larsen

"A strange man...defecated on my sister." -- Clifford Stern
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Russell

« Reply #305 on: October 14, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »
Stop talking about Korea. We get it. You served there. Nobody cares.  Also, stop trying to be a pretend philosopher. You're not. Nobody cares.  You keep deliberately ignoring what DB is saying, which is, "If you're on the edge of poverty, maybe you should save money instead of blowing it on expensive consumer products."
Perhaps you also ignored the part Imrahil where I said people with Asperger's
never have their priorities straight? That's part of the illness! It cannot be helped!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3782
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #306 on: October 14, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Whether or not the man can control his behavior is immaterial.  The end result is that he still acts obnoxious, hateful, and crazy.  It's like if a man murders someone and pleads insanity.  Whether the man is truly insane or not doesn't matter; you need him off the streets to be safe.

Russell

« Reply #308 on: October 14, 2011, 07:26:23 PM »
Whether or not the man can control his behavior is immaterial.  The end result is that he still acts obnoxious, hateful, and crazy.  It's like if a man murders someone and pleads insanity.  Whether the man is truly insane or not doesn't matter; you need him off the streets to be safe.
I'm sorry, you're comparing Doctor Who's behavior to that of a murderer?
Doctor Who is not hurting anybody. You may find his behavior obnoxious and hateful but honestly
is his behavior really hurting you in any way, shape or form? Tell me truly.
Because if you are mature you at least have the capability to ignore without
trash-talking him.

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #309 on: October 14, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
I'm wondering what other internet forum would tolerate the hateful and abuse that Doctor Who? heaps on others, only to see him come back the next day, 'All better!" I'm wondering at what point the people who actually contribute to this forum and treat others with respect get to have their feelings considered. I'm wondering how many people who didn't know about this supposed mental illness read some horrible thing Doctor Who? has said and moved on.

Why do I, or anyone else here, need to listen to that offensive and abusive garbage? Why do we have to ignore it or turn a blind eye and say, "Oh, that Doctor Who?, he's such a cut up. He so crazy!"

Were he on another forum, he would have been banned long ago. Others have been banned here but he continues to hide behind "Aspbergers" or whatever fucking label it has this week and we have to deal with it, because somehow we're all suddenly licensed internet therapists. Next time he talks about wanting to throw me in a concentration camp or having me taken out and shot, I'll just sagely nod my head and stroke my chin and smile.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
Whether or not the man can control his behavior is immaterial.  The end result is that he still acts obnoxious, hateful, and crazy.  It's like if a man murders someone and pleads insanity.  Whether the man is truly insane or not doesn't matter; you need him off the streets to be safe.
I'm sorry, you're comparing Doctor Who's behavior to that of a murderer?
Doctor Who is not hurting anybody. You may find his behavior obnoxious and hateful but honestly
is his behavior really hurting you in any way, shape or form? Tell me truly.
Because if you are mature you at least have the capability to ignore without
trash-talking him.
No.  You missed the metaphor.  The point is that he is a social nuisance and a hateful bigot.  A better example may have been if a man is on a city bus screaming about how the CIA is monitoring his brain wave patterns, he may be honest to goodness schizophrenic, but that doesn't mean you just sit back and let him disrupt your ride.  You eject him from the bus.

Is his behavior hurtful?  Yes.  As Wurwolf points out, his comments are hateful, vitriolic, and bigoted.  If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
If I came in here railing against "kikes" and "niggers" and "wetbacks" and "chinks" etc., would I get a free pass because I claim to have a mental illness?

No more than what we've seen on this forum already from Doctor Who?, RVR.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Invader_quirk

« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2011, 08:16:19 PM »
I assume you make people in wheelchairs take the stairs, then.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »

No more than what we've seen on this forum already from Doctor Who?, RVR.
:D I know. I'm with you guys on this ;D