Author Topic: Star Trek 2009 sucks!  (Read 23993 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Star Trek 2009 sucks!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
The movie sucked. The plot was terrible, the villain forgettable

Finally, someone who agrees with me

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Russell

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2011, 05:05:41 PM »
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

Only 16 out of of 290 critics agree with you at all Sideswipe. I say that makes your argument
fairly weak.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »
whoopity fuckin doo what the critics think.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
Yeah, the critics have absolutely nothing to do with how an individual feels about a movie. Have a discussion about the actual movie, not what the critics thought of it.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Russell

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »
Yeah, the critics have absolutely nothing to do with how an individual feels about a movie. Have a discussion about the actual movie, not what the critics thought of it.
Fair enough. This was not Nero's movie, mostly because his name was not in the title. This
is Kirk and Spock's movie, first and foremost. It's about how they learn to set aside their
differences and become the two men who kick the shit out of a villain from 130 years in the
future even though they're just wet behind the ears academy grads. If that does not proclaim
and reinforce their status as a bad-ass duo that makes for one of the most exciting sci-fi
epics ever, I don't know what the fuck does. How exactly do you have a problem with that
Sideswipe?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
I love the fact that people always claim that Star Trek is just like Transformers. I don't think anyone would be saying that if two of the writers hadn't worked on Transformers. Given their track records as writers and creators on Alias,Lost,and Fringe I am guessing they were doing Tranformers because they were hired to write it and Bay wanted the movie done one way so they gave him the script he wanted.  Most writers have to do whatever work comes their way and one of the things they have to do is give the director the script he wants,I don't see why Trasformers should be held against them for the rest of their lives. Outside of those three movies they have a pretty good track record.

Russell

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:22 PM »
I love the fact that people always claim that Star Trek is just like Transformers. I don't think anyone would be saying that if two of the writers hadn't worked on Transformers. Given their track records as writers and creators on Alias,Lost,and Fringe I am guessing they were doing Tranformers because they were hired to write it and Bay wanted the movie done one way so they gave him the script he wanted.  Most writers have to do whatever work comes their way and one of the things they have to do is give the director the script he wants,I don't see why Trasformers should be held against them for the rest of their lives. Outside of those three movies they have a pretty good track record.
Fact of the matter is if the opportunity for writing came along, I would not pass up a paycheck even if it meant
turning in a lousy script. I admit, that would be an act of artistic prostitution, but I doubt that most of us would
pass up an opportunity to get paid if it meant a damn good paycheck even if it was only unethical as a matter
of hyperbole.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »
Fact of the matter is if the opportunity for writing came along, I would not pass up a paycheck even if it meant
turning in a lousy script. I admit, that would be an act of artistic prostitution, but I doubt that most of us would
pass up an opportunity to get paid if it meant a damn good paycheck even if it was only unethical as a matter
of hyperbole.

It's easy money, too. I mean, think about what a cakewalk it is to write that crap.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »
because it has nothing to do with Star Trek other than a few names.  It doesn't feel like Star Trek, it feels like a generic sci fi movie.  The characterization is terrible.  The movie is poorly written and strung along by numerous improbable coincedences and unecessary subplots.  Spock/Uhura  wtf?  Reallly?  

Doctor Who?

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 05:26:44 PM »
of hyperbole.

Also bare in mind writers are some of the lowest paid people in Hollywood,lot of writers have to get another job and stop writing because they could not make ends meet.  It's not like an office job where you know work is going to be there next year,if directors decide to stop buying your scripts you are out of a job. I don't care how bad a script I had to write if the choose is between writing a bad script and put food on my family's table and just sitting around the house waiting for someone to offer me a movie I think is good enough(something that may never happen)I will choose writing the bad script every time.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »

That's completely moronic if they were that good they wouldn't lower their standards just to please the director.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 05:42:14 PM »
I love the fact that people always claim that Star Trek is just like Transformers. I don't think anyone would be saying that if two of the writers hadn't worked on Transformers. Given their track records as writers and creators on Alias,Lost,and Fringe I am guessing they were doing Tranformers because they were hired to write it and Bay wanted the movie done one way so they gave him the script he wanted.  Most writers have to do whatever work comes their way and one of the things they have to do is give the director the script he wants,I don't see why Trasformers should be held against them for the rest of their lives. Outside of those three movies they have a pretty good track record.

That's completely moronic if they were that good they wouldn't lower their standards just to please the director.

So you have never worked for a boss who had low standards because you wanted to work and put food on the table?  Good for you.  Most people are not that lucky and writing in Hollywood is very competitive,you never know when the well is going to run dry so it's a good idea to take every job you can get while you are hot and save your money.

Nimoy talks alot about this in his book I am Spock. He talks about how he has done a lot of things that he thinks are bad but he made them because he didn't want his family to go hungry and in hollywood just because you are hot this year does not mean you will still be working next year.  So when he was on Star Trek he took every job that came his way so that he could pay off his house and put a large amount of money in a savings. That's why he did some bad TV movie,and all those weird records.  Does that mean he has no talent as an actor?  Look at all those adds Orson Well made to pay the bill late in life,does that mean he had no talent as an actor or a director and Citizen Kane was a cheap trashy ad for frozen peas?

Having talent doesn't mean you have to starve to death in a gutter,only an idiot choices not working over working.

Look at it this way. Now I admit my numbers may be a little off because this is something I read in the 90s,but back then the average price paid to a writer for a script was $50,000. Now that may seem like a lot until you think about things like the fact that the money is not tax free and you have no idea when you are going to sell your next script. Some writers go years between selling scripts so if you get a streak where lot of directors are asking you to write scripts for them you don't tend to care if the director ask for a rewrite to make the story about a boy and his car or to add dogs humping,you are just glad to be working.

Oh and they did co create and write for all of those shows I listed.  Of those three Lost is the only one I was never able to get into and that had more to do with it not being my cup of tea then thinking it was badly written.

Face it most people do jobs they are not proud of at some point.  I mean I once working in a meat packing plant that didn't care one bit about health and safety rules and after that I worked for Wal Mart. That doesn't mean that is the only thing I am ever able to do in my life.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:51:53 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »
so prove that Michael Bay demanded a poor script

Doctor Who?

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
so prove that Michael Bay demanded a poor script

First you prove they didn't write or co create Alias,Lost,and Fringe?  Your whole argument is based on the idea that someone who write one poor script can not ever write a good script and you are claiming they never worked on those show despite the credits and DvD extras saying other wise. Prove to me the credits to those three shows have been faked.  Your whole case is based on personal hate and you know nothing about how things work in Hollywood.

Again Orson Welles did work for the money does that mean he could not have made Citizen Kane?

A few things i do know about transformers off the top of my head is that the story outline they were given(that is a few pieces of paper every writer is given that lists what the director and the producers expect to see in the finished script they are paying for)included the whole boy and his first car trying to impress a hot girl angle,it most likely also out character outlines in it(most outlines do),and like most summer blockbuster they had casting before the script was anywhere near finished. Also the masterbation scene was an ad lib by the actors on the day,it was not in the script.  Oh and of course the worst part of the movie is the direction and the design of the Transformers,they had nothing what so ever to do with that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:02:19 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
Don't try and shift the burden of proof.  You are making the claim that Michael Bay wanted a bad script.  The burden of proof is on you