login

Author Topic: Young Justice  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
Young Justice
« on: October 09, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
The other thread on this seems to have disappeared, so here's this one (unless the other one resurfaces again).

The last four episodes (since the show came back from hiatus) have really ramped up the stakes.

First, with "Targets" we get Red Arrow trying to hunt down an assassin at a peace conference between North and South Rhelasia (totally not Korea, guys, totally!). Lex Luthor makes an appearance, and I hate his voice. I remembered thinking to myself that it sounds really "rapey" when I first heard it, and then I found out Lex was voiced by Mark Rolston who played Bogs (aka the rapey guy) from The Shawshank Redemption. Totally not right for the character. I didn't really like how we came back from a six-month break to an episode focused exclusively on a character who had been completely minor up until this point, either; unless Red Arrow is given a bigger part in the future it feels like a waste. Oh, and about the ending:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh, and Superboy and Miss Martian start going to school so they can introduce a few more minor characters. It's pointless.

Especially pointless since in the next episode "Terrors" Miss Martian and Superboy ditch school for several weeks to get locked up in a prison for supervillains. Now this episode has a lot of pointless character cameos that I like! Amanda Waller is the warden of Belle Reve, with her second-in-command being Hugo Strange (also the head prison psychiatrist). Neato. Inside, we have Mr. Freeze, and the introduction of a very annoying Riddler (who is said to have escaped at the end, but no one knows how - so let's hope he shows up again in a bit more menacing role). We are also introduced to a special collar device that can block the powers of any superhuman that wears them and incapacitate prisoners as the situation calls for it. This new technology (or deus ex machina as the case may be) seems like it will be very important later on. Oh, and Superboy and Miss Martian start dating in this episode. About time those two stop dancing around each other like a couple of tailless lemurs and get down to business.

Then we get "Home Front", in which Mt. Justice is attacked by Red Torpedo and Red Inferno, who incapacitate everyone but Artemis and Robin, who were at school at the time. Barbara Gordon makes a cameo as a classmate of the two - no word if she's Batgirl at the time, but I would suspect not. Most everything that happens in this episode is pretty forgettable (it's just Artemis and Robin sneaking around to avoid the two robots who easily overpower them), but the ending is very intriguing:
This one just didn't capture my attention.

Now we have the latest, "Alpha Male", in which Aqualad's authority as team leader is called into question. They have to investigate a series of animal attacks in India with the help of Captain Marvel. Mostly this episode seems like the kids bitching at each other to quit bitching, and really it's less tolerable than being stuck on an eight-hour road trip with your bratty cousins who eat all the beef jerky and then start yelling because you stole "their" Powerade and FUCK. This is the point where I really start to question if making a show about "realistic" teenagers is such a good idea. Though I'd take this over any of that ABC Family "Slutty Life of the American Teenager" crap any day. It turns out okay though, with The Brain and Monsieur Mallah of the Brotherhood of Evil turning up (along with those collars from Belle Reve prison, for some reason) and Aqualad emulating Batman to get some respect from his fellow YJs (YJ - Young Justice leaguers, I guess; an YJ isn't a sex thing, right?). I really love that they're bringing Captain Marvel into this too - he's such an underappreciated character, at least in comparison to Superman who I find pretty bland.

There are three more episodes left in this season, and as long as the quality remains consistent this should end up an entertaining run before the next season debuts. One rumor I've heard is that Wonder Girl is supposed to be joining the team (DC and WB having gotten back the TV rights to Wonder Woman after the failed pilot), but nobody's confirmed that.

Oh, and a minor, exciting spoiler for an upcoming episode:

So... I'm really looking forward to seeing how this season wraps up, despite my trepidations.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline JerRocks2day

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Young Justice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 08:18:53 PM »
I've kept track of Young Justice since it aired on Cartoon Network last year. I think it's not bad so far.

I have not seen Alpha Male yet, so I should probably look that one up sometime soon.

My only nitpick is with the animation seen in 'Home Front.' After Superboy and Miss Martian share a cute moment together, the alien sphere rolls over and causes Miss Martian to laugh. While I thought it would be cute to keep that bit written, the animators probably forgot to animate Miss Martian actually 'laughing'. It looked more like she was talking as she was laughing.

I know that the show's producers include Greg Weisman and Brandon Vietti, so I have not lost faith in the series. I'm sure with Greg Weisman on board, he'll do us no wrong.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »
Just watched the latest episode, "Humanity", and I have one thing to say....

EEK Little Zatanna is soooo CUUUUTE!!!  ;D ;D ;D

I really hope she sticks around; a fully magic-based superhero is a nice change of pace for the team.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »

I really hope she sticks around; a fully magic-based superhero is a nice change of pace for the team.

I think Zatan grounded her for life.. :D

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »

Ha! That part was awesome. I like that Zatara is really a protective father, though; especially since we don't see any of the other kids parents around, it's a good opportunity for a bit of tension and drama. One's parents are dead, one's are on Mars, one's is technically the same person and too busy to play daddy, one's is a supervillain, one's live at the bottom of the ocean, and the last one's parents are just boring.

They also really played up Captain Marvel's childishness and naivete in this episode, mostly for laughs I think. It would be kinda cool if we see Kid Marvel in the future.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »

Ha! That part was awesome. I like that Zatara is really a protective father, though; especially since we don't see any of the other kids parents around, it's a good opportunity for a bit of tension and drama. One's parents are dead, one's are on Mars, one's is technically the same person and too busy to play daddy, one's is a supervillain, one's live at the bottom of the ocean, and the last one's parents are just boring.

They also really played up Captain Marvel's childishness and naivete in this episode, mostly for laughs I think. It would be kinda cool if we see Kid Marvel in the future.

I love Capt. Marvel in this. He is like a 9 year old in a super hero's body... which he is. He stays a kid mentally and wants to play with the other "kids". He likes them because they are close to his own age. Find it funny that a super hero that is basically 10 is babysitting kids in high school.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:48:33 AM »

I love Capt. Marvel in this. He is like a 9 year old in a super hero's body... which he is. He stays a kid mentally and wants to play with the other "kids". He likes them because they are close to his own age. Find it funny that a super hero that is basically 10 is babysitting kids in high school.

Well, he does have the "Wisdom of Solomon", which is basically just a catch-all to explain why he's a valuable member of the league and a good mentor to the YJL. If I was nine and had his superpowers, I'd probably just use them to look at boobs from space.

Have you seen Captain Marvel in the DC New 52? He's called Captain Thunder now, and basically he's just Captain Planet, heh. One each of his "SHAZAM" powers are possessed by one of a group of six kids, who transform into him by saying SHAZAM in unison. Which is awesome.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
For some reason, they're moving the show to Saturday morning: http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/news.php/news.php?action=fullnews&id=1236

New eps back March 3rd, 10:30 am.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:32:38 PM by Raefire »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5142
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 07:08:30 AM »
Saturday morning needs cartoons.  Don't knock it.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3180
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »
I hear that. Now that I have a bundle of joy of my own on the way, it kind of depresses me that they won't have the vast cornucopia of entertainment that I had on Saturday Mornings to get them out of bed. I still remember switching through the  Networks like a Pro. Super Mario and Captain N would get me to 7:00, then it was over to another channel to watch Muppet Babies, which was entertaining enough to get me to 8:00 when The Real Ghostbusters would come on and be the highlight of my morning, then it was back over to the first channel to watch Laser Tag, ALF and ALFtales. Those were good times. :^)