login

Author Topic: k1 is headed for adventures in data collection!  (Read 3191 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1527
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
k1 is headed for adventures in data collection!
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »
Here's the thread for stories about my new job in Data Collection.  Basically I just take note of whats in the home (# of bedrooms, bathrooms, condition of kitchen & bath, flooring, heating, cooling, etc.) and then measure the outsides of the house and sketch it out and update the photo we have on record.  There's a few other things but that's the basic idea.

I'm given a stack of properties to go look at and then I am off on my merry way.

This week has been particularly interesting as each street has seemed to be it's own little "community" it seems.  (I'm sure some of you are saying "duh".  But it'll make sense when I explain.)

Monday & Tuesday I was on one street where almost every home I checked out could've been in an episode of hoarders.  Absolute chaos.  One lady answered the door covered in vomit & had recently crapped herself.  The stench of cat piss coming out of the door the instant it opened was horrifying.  Another house took me 20 minutes to get to the back yard to try and measure a deck.

Thursday I moved on to another street where EVERYONE owned cats.  Nothing out of the ordinary, and only 2 houses belonged to "crazy cat ladies".  One lady wasn't all that crazy and she was a volunteer at the local shelter where we got our 2 cats from.  She was housing a new litter until they had room at the shelter so there were kittens everywhere.  Everyone on "Cat street" was super nice & nobody gave me any problems as far as doing inspections.

Today I was on the next street over and EVERYONE had dogs.  (Nobody had cats.)  Almost everyone gave me a hard time, hardly anyone let me actually do the interior inspection.  

It made me laugh that "Cat Street" was friendly and "Dog Street" was filled with anger.

I also managed to crack myself in the skull with the anchor of a boat that was in someones back yard today.  It was hanging off the side of the boat and I came around the corner of the boat trying to avoid stepping in dog crap and squeeze past a bush.  Drilled myself right in the forehead.  Bled a little but not too much.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 06:27:46 PM by k1 »

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: k1's Adventures in Data Collection!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »
Oh, one day I was in a neighborhood where a few houses had just been robbed.

That was fun.  They were a little suspicious of the bearded dude with tattoos going door to door wandering around peoples yards asking to come in their houses.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
Oh, one day I was in a neighborhood where a few houses had just been robbed.

That was fun.  They were a little suspicious of the bearded dude with tattoos going door to door wandering around peoples yards asking to come in their houses.

Try doing that in Texas and your remains would never be found.

What's the data collection for?

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:28:21 PM »
Property tax

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
I was on one street where almost every home I checked out could've been in an episode of hoarders.  Absolute chaos.  One lady answered the door covered in vomit & had recently crapped herself.  The stench of cat piss coming out of the door the instant it opened was horrifying.

Gross!

This thread should make for some entertaining reading. Although shouldn't it be titled "k1 is Headed for Data?"  ;)
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 4402
  • You're all invited to my bunga bunga party!
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
This thread should make for some entertaining reading. Although shouldn't it be titled "k1 is Headed for Data?"  ;)

:D
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 622
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:16:40 PM »

:D
I second that  :D

Good luck... and stay alive!  (Always sound advice, I think).

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: k1 is headed for adventures in data collection!
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 06:28:11 PM »
Better?

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »
 :clap:
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6684
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
And now we wait for the inevitable photo manip of the Adventures in Babysitting poster...

Offline wurwolf

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
I just want to see a Family Circus-style map of k1 wandering around a neighborhood.
Bonhead #2
fs!!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:41:37 AM »
So there hasn't been too much overly interesting to post (that didn't fall under the RRRAAAARRRRGH or WOOOOOOOO) but this one could technically go here or in the Weird News thread.

Worked my way up one side of the street today, and the next to last house on that side was basically told "sorry, we won't want you to do an inspection" which was ok because their dog was pretty nasty & wanted to jump the 6 foot fence and attack me.  Finished up that side, started working my way up the other side of the street.  Roughly 35 minutes after the house with the dog a fire engine comes tearing around the corner with the sirens going.  I look around and don't see smoke.  The firemen jump out and run inside the house with the dog.

About 30 seconds later cop car comes around the corner, lights on, no siren, not in a rush.  Standard procedure if the fire truck is there, so I don't think too much about it.  Then I hear one of the firemen say to the police guys "Nope.  She's dead."  A minute or 2 later, ambulance comes around the corner.  No lights, even less of a rush than the cops.  They pull out the stretcher, and eventually bring it inside.

I finished up the street and got home as fast as I could.  The way this week is going who knows what else will happen...  (I started off my day today by stepping in dog crap.)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5308
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:58:28 AM »
Nice job! You scared her to death :speechless:

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
With not so great power comes irresponsibility.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »
My Doberman would love to play with you and you could get metal plates in your head like me!